Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Roo Electrical Mod / New Circuit & Receptacle

My brand new Roo 233s came with plenty of electrical receptacles with the downside being that they were all on the same electrical circuit. I had a desire to fall camp and would be in need of running two 1500 watt electrical space heaters to keep us warm and toasty. This required a need for more power as two space heaters would trip the circuit as it did for me during a test in the spring.

I put in a call to Forest River and they hooked me up with an outlet that is specifically made for the Roo and matches what is in there already. The receptacle has printed on the outside that its max use is 15 amps. I purchased a tandem 15 amp circuit breaker from home depot that fits into the power converter perfectly. There are two empty slots in my Roo for additional breakers. The receptacle I purchased from Forest River is just what I was looking for as I couldnt find something that works for the thin walls on an RV. In the picture you notice from behind that those outlets have plastic prongs that lock into place when you screw them in. Works really well.

The whole job took an hour or two tops. I did one fall trip in October and the mod worked flawlessly. I do need to go back and straighten the receptacle slightly as I'm a stickler for things like that. I put the receptacle right next to the power converter and that meant I needed only a couple of feet of wire. I only have a few pictures and should have taken more in process. I was under time constraints as it was a need to get done so its ready for the weekend deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo 2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	42921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roo 3.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	42922  

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Who did you contact at Forest River and what is their phone number I want to do the same to my 233 S

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

My springtime plan is to put an outlet under the sofa of our 233S, piggybacking off of the hot water heater. I have never used the electric portion of the HWH.

I like your approach also! As for the electrical box, it sounds like you used a standard renovation type box that has the flip out wings used to grab the wall surface.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dado39 View Post
Who did you contact at Forest River and what is their phone number I want to do the same to my 233 S
Contact info is as follows...
Sheri Dunlap
sdunlap@forestriverinc.com
(574) 642-8940 direct number

Old 12-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
My springtime plan is to put an outlet under the sofa of our 233S, piggybacking off of the hot water heater. I have never used the electric portion of the HWH.

I like your approach also! As for the electrical box, it sounds like you used a standard renovation type box that has the flip out wings used to grab the wall surface.
Here is what my order looked like from Forest River

RECEPT 10-10016A $5.76 EA
WHITE SNAP ON BACK 10-19343A $2.52 EA
D…COR PLATE FOR RECEPT 10-10017A $.80 EA

The plate was extra and wasnt needed. Not sure why they sent that. I thought it was needed and it wasnt. I ordered from FR because I wanted to match up what was in there already. If I had known where to get a box with the "flip out" wings I would have did that instead of going thru FR. Do you know where to find them besides FR? Electrician friend of mine says he hasnt seen anything like that before and must be a "camper" thing.

I thought about tapping in elsewhere just as you are thinking but decided against because adding another circuit will keep things intact for any future owner of this camper. I have not used the electric water heater either so it would have been possible to tap in there. Ultimately I decided against as it was actually rather easy to add a circuit and only a few more dollars. I think whatever you do will be fine. I just know that the circuit is going to be nice to have and for more than just fall camping. Good luck with your mod.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #6

Home Depot and Lowes both sell renovation electrical boxes with the flip out wings. Made so that you can add an outlet or switch to a wall without needing to nail the box to a stud.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
Home Depot and Lowes both sell renovation electrical boxes with the flip out wings. Made so that you can add an outlet or switch to a wall without needing to nail the box to a stud.
Thats great. I should have taken a harder look around at my HD and Menards. That makes the job even easier. The most difficult part of the job was getting my hands on the right supplies. :-)

Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #8

Thinking about this I wonder if they could be attached to the back of an access panel and not a wall. I have panels that just cover space with nothing to access behind. Is close to converter too.

Tags
electric, electrical, roo