Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #21

I recommend night shades and jack, and voted no on the window upgrade. I do like the stainless steel appliance package we got, the slide-out cover is well worth the money, and wish we had ordered the second vent fan cover and the larger BTU air conditioner.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #22

The Rockwood Dealer Sales Order Form for 2016 effective 8-31-15 lists the following as options. Erik, this is what you will be working from with a dealer until they change it. Some are supposedly mandatory but your dealer can work with the rep and get things changed. All in all not many decisions to make and if the dealer is not inflating the prices most are a no brainer. I underlined what we ordered.

My logic for not we did not order.

Power Awning. I have helped pick up the mangled mess of too many of these at the state park. I prefer to carport the arms and be able to use 2 sets of de flappers and the Camco 4514 hold down strap, and have never lost an awning when others have. Every awning I have seen destroyed for the last few years, at least 1/2 a dozen, has been the powered ones. We have 2 friends whose power awnings were hit by the wind and torqued, so now they require a manual push to get them all the way retracted. Not so powered now. We do not want to need to retract the awning once we are set up as under the awning is our cooking setup and camp chef 3 burner. We spend most of our time outside. The downside of this is you do not get the LED light strip but those are easy to add. Actually were not even sure / confirmed we can get this due to the arms being longer and the wardrobe slide. The dealer is supposedly waiting to hear back from engineering. If you look at the 23WS they have taken up every inch of awning rail with the power awning. It looks to me to do the manual of the same size they need to move the rear running light forward a few inches. Or possibly shorten the awning by a foot and it looks like there would be enough room to get the vertical arm between the ward slide and light. I left it at if they only need to shorten it by a foot ok, any more than that we need to talk.

Heated tanks. Waste of money with no underbelly enclosure. What keeps the exposed pex from freezing? Easily added later if wanted.

Stainless Appliance package. Money better spent elsewhere.

Thermopane windows. Not much good on a HTT / R7 wall / expensive option.

Outside Grill. Already have 3 and seldom used. You still get the rail and LP port.

-------------------------------------------------------------
WOOD

Driftwood
Maple

COLORS

Biltmore
Sydney
Aspen

MODELS
Travel Trailers
17 ROO
183 ROO
19 ROO

SLIDEOUTS
21BD ROO
21DK ROO
233S ROO

SUPER SLIDES
21SS ROO
21SSL ROO
23IKSS ROO
23WS ROO

OPTIONS
Sapphire package;
Oyster Fiberglass.
Bonded Windows.
Aluminum Wheels.
Convenience Package C.
Tinted safety glass windows.
TV antenna with cable hook up.
Roof A/C (Ducted on all 21 & 23's except 21DK).
Awning.
LCD TV Only.
Gas / Electric water heater.
Outside speakers.
Maple cabinetry with solid maple cabinet doors.
Night shades.
Stainless steel appliance package.
Power tongue jack.
Wood look floor.
Thermopane windows.
Gas oven (required in 21DK,23IKSS,3WS).
Double door refer (17' only) (183, 19 required).
Single or raised panel refer (17 only).
Raised panel refer fronts.
Heated holding tanks.
15000 BTU ducted roof AC w/package.
Power awning w/package.
Spare tire and cover.
Hide a bed option (21SS, 23IKSS,21SSL).
Slide topper - small.
Slide topper - large.
Chrome look wheel covers.
Aluminum wheels (STD 21SSL) (Included in sapphire pkg).
Outside grill.
1/2 sliding trunk (N/A 17, 183, 19, 21DK, 233S, 23IKSS, 3WS).
Canadian Coding
Fuel station 18 gallon (21SSL only).
Heated Mattresses
Carbon Monoxide Detector
Water Purifier
2X Maxxair ventilation fan and vent cover.
State seal (___)

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #23
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo Options

Basically here is what I am looking at:

23IKSS

Cabinets: Maple

Fabric: Aspen

Packages: Sapphire & Convenience C

Options:
Wood Look Floors
CO Detector
24" TV
15k BTU A/C
Rear Bunk TV
Night Shades
Deluxe Tri-Fold Sleep Sofa
Free Standing Table & Chairs
Water-Pur Filtration System
Maxxair and Cover
Heated Mattress
Power Awning
Awning Slide Topper
Power Tongue Jack
Spare Tire Carrier & Cover

I am not sure what are Standard Options (SO), because I don't think you can delete/ choose not to have them?

I really don't want the Heated Mattress, Outdoor Speakers, or the Outdoor Shower, but I am not going to fight to have them removed. If the MaxxFan are not at least the Plus models with Intake/Exhaust options then I would remove those as well. I would add the MaxxFan Deluxe Models as a mod/ upgrade. I am still reviewing the power awning & power tongue jack options.

The jack I might want a better model.

The Cabinets, Fabric, & Free Standing Table & Chairs are still in negotiation with the wife. We will need to visit my favorite dealer to see if they have a model for us to see these in person.

Mr Havercamp is it not possible to carport/strap down the Power Awning?

We camp in areas with strong winds, so this was one of the mods I was going to do.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #24

Yes, you can strap power awning to help prevent wind damage. OldCoot makes a set of brackets which he sells to FR Forum members. They work great! You will also need some awning poles which he sometimes sells. Turbs also makes poles and some people just make their own.
The power awning is a wonderful convenience and having the poles and brackets allow it to remain deployed in all but the most severe weather.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445693119.839269.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	92717

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

DK-in-SC,

Thanks. I thought I read that somewhere.

These Power Awnings don't have the windy retract option; correct? I thought that type of awning was extremely expensive!

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #26

I have not seen the auto-retract option on the hybrids yet, but things seem to be changing rapidly so you never know.
The awning tie down mod is definitely one of the top five mods I've done to our 23IKSS.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 10-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Yes, you can strap power awning to help prevent wind damage. OldCoot makes a set of brackets which he sells to FR Forum members. They work great! You will also need some awning poles which he sometimes sells. Turbs also makes poles and some people just make their own.
The power awning is a wonderful convenience and having the poles and brackets allow it to remain deployed in all but the most severe weather.
I had seen that too. No thanks.

Now you need to carry separate poles and brackets somewhere, and piss with those. It literally takes 60 seconds longer to pull out the manual awning than to run out the powered awning and I bet I can stake it down in carport much faster than I can attach brackets, poles, and such. Everything is self storing. The arms and hardware on the manual are much stronger than the sidearms on the powered, and you do not have any shocks or motors to worry about wearing out which they will, and fast. Why do people with lots of experience with powered awnings carry spare motors, shocks, and bushings? There is also no way to put additional tension on the fabric from the sidearms easily, probably the most critical thing when it comes to surviving winds. Without that I have seen the wind rip the stitching right out of the seam on the roller edge spline or awning rail spline. I do a lot of camping where I commute to work during the week and I sure don't want to be worrying about awnings or putting them in and out multiple times. As far as the auto retracting ones just one more thing to break, malfunction, and cost a fortune to fix.

Not for me. I might get forced into it and will know next week I assume, but I will go kicking and screaming down the powered awning road.

Erik I would get a good look at those free standing table and chairs for the quality. Not that the built in is any better quality but much less chance for things to break. Also consider the extra work securing those things every time you go to move.

As far as what options are mandatory or not, I would offer that at this time of year, in the slow manufacturing season, more are truly optional than they are in the busy season starting in March and April.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #28

The brackets that OldCoot makes get permanently attached to the power awning arms. Your poles attach to the brackets and are self storing. Nothing to fuss with. Nothing to store.
I get to camp, deploy the power awning, pull the retaining pin on the poles and they swing down into position. I put the pin back in the poles at the desired height. Then just use a ratchet strap to anchor them to the ground. Fast and simple.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 10-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #29

Quote:
The brackets that OldCoot makes get permanently attached to the power awning arms. Your poles attach to the brackets and are self storing. Nothing to fuss with. Nothing to store.
I get to camp, deploy the power awning, pull the retaining pin on the poles and they swing down into position. I put the pin back in the poles at the desired height. Then just use a ratchet strap to anchor them to the ground. Fast and simple.

Its an awesome mod but I really hope I dont need it. Ive got my fingers crossed I can get the old school 8500
Old 10-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #30

Choosing the free standing table and chairs costs you a lot of built in storage. An ik doesn't have much storage for bigger items, the front pass thru is not large. We keep bulky items in the dinette seats. I guess the trade off is more comfort vs more storage.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #31

Quote:

I searched through all the mod posts. You convinced me.

OldCoot sent me the info / invoice to order the brackets, and I have an email into the dealer to see if we can change back to power awning. I would think I can still change as the order was officially submitted on Thursday, and the last I heard engineering was looking into if they could even put a manual on the 23WS. I guess I was the first to request one.

How do you keep the fabric from developing "flap" at the edges in a constant wind?

Thanks. Now I am modding before I own or have the trailer. Don't tell my wife.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #32

Haha. Sorry about that. 😀

So far, I have not found the need for any de-flapper but I think OldCoot and some others have come up with some ideas if you find you need them.

Here are a few more pics of the upper and lower brackets as well as the poles in the travel position:

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445765570.548662.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	92773

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445765717.031747.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	92776

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445765678.245108.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	92775

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 10-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #33
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

Thanks. Now I am modding before I own or have the trailer. Don't tell my wife.

Welcome to the special ops modding society!

I have been working on my list for two years just based from posts on forms and reviewing a friends 23IKSS. I just can't wait to have my 23IKSS to start the work.

On our Popup I completely replumbed both the supply and waste lines. I moved all the supply lines from the under belly to within the cabinetry. I plumbed the waste lines from the Kitchen sink and shower to the curb side to a standard waste gate with sewer hose connector.

I had the unit gutted for three weeks and she was very nervous/stressed if I would get it back together.

Now with the new changes to the units I am revising the lists and designs for our future 23IKSS.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #34
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Choosing the free standing table and chairs costs you a lot of built in storage. An ik doesn't have much storage for bigger items, the front pass thru is not large. We keep bulky items in the dinette seats. I guess the trade off is more comfort vs more storage.

Yea we loose storage, but we would be able to flip the sofa and table back to last years layout! I am still not sold on having the sofa back by the bathroom.

The wife is worried about storage, but I don't want our need for storage to grow when moving from a Popup to the Roo.

I still need to see the table and chairs are built well, before I consider the option. A friend has a 5er with the table and chairs. It appeared to be made well. Its nice to have as you can move it out from the wall to make room for six adults. The big plus you don't have those trapped in the booth seating, as everyone can get up with chairs; if there is room to move behind someone sitting in the chair. Again another thing to check out in person.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth. I agree with you 100%.

I will second that 100%

As far as the awning, we preferred the old manual...but its not available....even though the power awning is an option...
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #36

The power awning was a must for us. We have some short one-night stays while travelling, and it is great to be able to quickly set up and close up with the push of a button. The awning sides have never been "flapping" in two seasons of use. I don't see the need for the extra brackets either....if the forecast is for high winds, just retract the awning!
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
I don't see the need for the extra brackets either....if the forecast is for high winds, just retract the awning!
Its not always an easy option. Lots of times I'll go to the state park for a two weeker, but some of those days during the week I'll have to go to work. I don't want to have to worry about it and I don't want to need to retract it because I usually have a 3 burner camp chef stove, a Cabelas camp kitchen, and a table set up under it.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
As far as the awning, we preferred the old manual...but its not available....even though the power awning is an option...
If your ordering from the factory the manual awning is available. Here is a 2016 183 with the manual awning. You will not get the LED lights with it. What you'll get is the Dometic 8500. I had it ordered then changed it back to the powered.

Another thing you can get which I do not think is advertised is the standard windows with the Oyster Fiberglass in the Sapphire package.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1_3641_1810043_38280678.jpg;maxwidth=1024;maxheight=1024;mode=crop.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	93960  
Old 11-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
If your ordering from the factory the manual awning is available. Here is a 2016 183 with the manual awning. You will not get the LED lights with it. What you'll get is the Dometic 8500. I had it ordered then changed it back to the powered.

Another thing you can get which I do not think is advertised is the standard windows with the Oyster Fiberglass in the Sapphire package.
That's messed up....Sapphire package without the package, standard windows and wheels....
We didn't order from the factory, they had one with everything we wanted at another dealer and shipped it 2 days later... We did ask and were told that a manual awning was not available.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
That's messed up...We did ask and were told that a manual awning was not available.
Initially the salesman told me that also, until I showed him a picture of a 2016 233S that had one. He called his Rockwood rep...................no problem.

Messed up? The Sapphire package is 544 MSRP and includes Oyster Fiberglass, Aluminum wheels, and bonded windows. If you don't get the Sapphire package you can add just the aluminum wheels......for $392

I guess the bonded windows and Oyster Fiberglass only costs $152

Tags
roo