Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo Options

Looking to order a Roo 23IKSS and had a few questions for those of you that might have Night Shades, Thermo Windows, & Power Tonge Jack.

1. Night Shades - Are the FR night shades worth the extra costs? Do they block out lights at night? Are they made well? Would it be a better investment to order blinds from a traditional company such as Bali?

2. Thermo Windows - with tent bunks and skylights I am not sure these have a huge value, unless turtle durning really warm or cold days. Does anyone have them on their hybrid and what are your thoughts on there value? Is there upside such as better hardware, more ventilation, etc... Are the Thermo Windows still bonded installed with the Sapphire package?

3. Power Tonge Jack - the brochure makes me think it's a factory option, but the few times shopping the Roos it appeared to be one of the upgrades the dealers wanted to add. What is the best Power Jack to buy? If a factory option what make/ model dose FR typically install? Do the factory power jacks have hook up lights?

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Broken Toe

Cant provide an opinion on #1 and 2. But the Power Tongue Jack from the factory is a Lippert 3500# jack and works fantastic. it does have a hook up light.

It's well worth the $$$. Every time I use it I want to just kiss it for not having to crank on it like a madman. I wish my other trailers had one..

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo Options

That looks like the one the local dealer stated they "installed" as a dealer upgrade?

I just can't imagine having the Power Jack installed only as a dealer option.

I asked the local dealer if it was a dealer installed option if I would get a credit or the original manual Jack that was removed?

Each time I have gotten a BS answer.

This was from a dealer that stated they only sell trailers with Power Jacks.

I ask them where is the pile of manual jacks they remove from each trailer?

At that point the salesman would excuse himself and let us know he was available if we needed additional help!

I don't understand the BS from RV sales teams? So what if you order all the trailers with power jacks and they cost more!

Great because I am willing to pay a little more to have the Power Jack. Plus I am more comfortable with it being installed at the factory as opposed to a tech person.

They don't want to haggle over the cost of options, yet they want to charge more for dealer option upgrades?

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Tim,

Thank you for the reply.

Many of you have thanked me for post on the form; how?

I use Tapatalk and have the FR form app, but can't find the option to return a thank you for a post?

Is thus something that's only available on the forms website?

Anyway thank you all for your help/replies.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #5

To answer your questions:
1. Night shades are good. May not be as durable as trad blinds longterm but they serve intended function well
2. I don't have thermo windows on my ikss but I agree with your reasoning. Question their vulue on a hybrid
3. Get the power jack whether it's factory or dealer installed. Especially helps hooking up the wdh.
Hope this helps. We just finished our 2nd season with our Shamrock and it's everything we wanted. Fits our current situation perfectly.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #6

Hello, I just ordered a 2016 23WS. Expected in 6 to 8 to 10 to 12 weeks or so.

1-Get the nightshades, well worth the $123. You can't do them yourself for that.
2-Even if not a hybrid, thermopane windows do not do much when your wall is an R7 made of 1" of foam, and two pieces of 1/8 plywood. Its a $653 option which will buy lots of LP gas.
3-I think the power jack is a mandatory option. Its definitely not dealer installed. I know it already has an X in the box on the dealer order form. Regardless for $138 why not. They use frames made by LCI hence the LCI power jacks. It probably is on the frame before they build the rig. The dealer is blowing smoke and trying to charge you extra. If you want a top of the line power jack that would be a Bulldog. I'll live with the LCI until it craps the bed.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

We bought our RV off the lot and it did not have a power tongue jack nor night shades.
It did have a topper awning and power vent covers. That was the way the dealer was ordering this model.
Negotiated price and our trade. I said I was ready to sign, but what could they do about a power jack. They agreed to add a Lippert 3500 at no charge. They agreed so fast I was wishing I'd asked about the night shades - but I'd already made a verbal commitment and my word means something to me.

The power jack has been great. We tend to camp in remote areas so the lack of night shades has not been a real issue. Re. thermal windows, I don't think you would be gaining much. Besides the canvas bunk ends, you also have 2 plastic skylights and 2 plastic vent covers and a roof A/C unit for rising heat to escape.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #8

Absolutely get the night shades. The curtains are a PIA and its not worth the trouble of trying to retrofit shades after the fact.

On the double pane windows, I've found that when we camp when its cold, PUGS keep the condensation off the tent ends, but the windows still fog up. I would bet the thermo pane windows fix that, but its a pricey option. Not sure its worth the money.

Tongue jack - power for sure. Our LCI jack from the factory was LOUD and water kept finding its way inside. After 2.5 seasons, the gears seized up and I replaced it with a Barker. A little quieter, much smother. Easy replacement - 3 bolts and 2 wires. Either get the factory one or add a better quality after market one, and either way, get a cover for it. There are several threads on here about tongue jack failures and replacements.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo Options

Mr Havercamp,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I think the power jack is a mandatory option. Its definitely not dealer installed. I know it already has an X in the box on the dealer order form. Regardless for $138 why not. They use frames made by LCI hence the LCI power jacks. It probably is on the frame before they build the rig. [BOLD]The dealer is blowing smoke and trying to charge you extra. [/BOLD]. If you want a top of the line power jack that would be a Bulldog. I'll live with the LCI until it craps the bed.

Yea I am not going to purchase the RV from that dealer as both the wife and I suspect the same! They are just convenient as they are the closest to us, so we stop in to see what models they have on the lot to look at.

I wasn't sure on the Jack option as RVW website didn't list the power Jack as a factory option, but offered it under there dealer installed option; it's an Ultra 3500?

8 to 12 weeks to order? Wow thats longer than I expected! Hum. Looks like I need to order by the end of March for next season.

Thank you for the reply

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo Options

Jking46, CNYCamper, & KMP44,

Thank you for the info.

It's a go for night shades.

It's a go for the power jack; either way.

No go on the Thermo Windows.

If it's $600+ for that option I would rather have that money to install the Maxxair Delux vent fans with remotes (w/ thermostat builtin) in both locations.

They really move the air. Plus the remote with the thermostat is nice to cool at night and have it shut off before it gets too cold for the wife.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
8 to 12 weeks to order? Wow thats longer than I expected! Hum. Looks like I need to order by the end of March for next season.
Maybe sooner. I ordered my Mini Lite 2/28/15. It arrived at the dealer 6/6/15.

If you order on 3/31/16 you may not get it until July.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elundquist View Post
Mr Havercamp

Dont wait until March. They told me at this time expect 6 to 8 weeks but with Thanksgiving may be 10 to 12. If you wait until March your order will get in the system at the same time all the orders are coming in from the RV shows in Jan and Feb. That could be a problem. Especially if they have another shortage of delivery people.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Another issue is WHICH Roo you order. I understand they set up to make a bunch of one model, then set up for a bunch of another model. I'm guessing if you order one of the "less popular" models, it could be longer until they gear up to make some of them.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Looking at the Roo 23IKSS.

I guess I need to touch base with RVW again and start planing the trip back east for the spring pick up.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #15

$653 for the thermopanes on the 2016 Rockwood order sheet I have......who knows if the dealer plays with the numbers on it. I was also told that the 2 maxxairs are now mandatory and if you order now, well your getting them......I cant understand why anyone would not want them. Especially with the bonded windows. On the form they show them as 2x and $479 for both. No provision to just get the one. I also found out you can get the standard opening windows with the Oyster fiberglass (sapphire package) then I was suprised that the wife actually liked the bonded so we kept them.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elundquist View Post
Looking at the Roo 23IKSS.

I guess I need to touch base with RVW again and start planing the trip back east for pickup
You might want to try and shop some of the midwest dealers.....I had them quote the 23WS and RVWs pricing was not all that great. Actually it sucked. It certainly was not anything close to wholesale or discounted. Look online for Labadie RV in Toledo.....
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #17
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Yea Rockwood switched to Maxxair back in June and on the 23IKSS you get two as a standard option. But Rockwood told me they only provide the basic model with the cover tabs. They won't install the Deluxe units on the factory line.

Here are the different Maxxair Maxxfan models:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445642208.684528.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	92665

ALL MAXXFAN MODELS

Provides over 900 CFM to keep you cool and comfortable.
Brings in fresh air and removes hot musty air and odors.
Fan runs with lid closed to circulate air (Ceiling Fan Mode).
Easy to remove interior insect screen, no tools required.
Twin lifting arms, No more lid fluttering in high winds or when driving.
Features a powerful, fuse protected, Long life, sealed ball bearing, 12 volt fan motor and a 12 inch - 10 blade fan
Flush mounted, easy to clean Keypad, controls fan speed, thermostat, air intake and/or exhaust functions
Closes securely for a low profile appearance
Fits all standard 14" x 14" roof openings
All mounting screws and hardware included. Roof sealant must be purchased separately
2-YEAR Limited WARRANTY with LIFETIME Limited Warranty on the lid

MAXXFAN MODELS

Hi powered 4 speed exhaust only fan
Opens and closes using a manual knob located at the ceiling
Waterproof, molded mounting tabs for TOOL FREE INSTALLATION of the new FANMATE Vent Cover (sold separately).
White or Smoke Tint lid available

MAXXFAN Plus MODELS

Hi powered 10 speed intake and exhaust fan
Waterproof, molded mounting tabs for TOOL FREE INSTALLATION of the new FANMATE Vent Cover (sold separately).
Manual Opening or Remote Control Electric Opening models available
Rain Sensor closes lid if it rains (#4500K)

MAXXFAN Deluxe MODELS

Built-In Rain Cover to always protect your RV's interior
Powerful 10 speed intake and exhaust fan
Thermostat to control room temperature
Manual Opening or Remote Control Electric Opening models available

I installed the White Maxxfan Deluxe Model on my Popup and its great.

I would need to swap out the factory fans and install the Deluxe models after the fact. If they include the Maxxfan Plus model it would be hard to justify (right away) the effort to swap out the fans just to get the thermostat option of the MaxxFan deluxe. It's really nice to have, so I would need to try the Plus models first.

I can't find the notice from FR on the fans, anyone with the new Maxxair fans in their unit do they have forward and reverse options?

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
To answer your questions:
1. Night shades are good. May not be as durable as trad blinds longterm but they serve intended function well
2. I don't have thermo windows on my ikss but I agree with your reasoning. Question their vulue on a hybrid
3. Get the power jack whether it's factory or dealer installed. Especially helps hooking up the wdh.
Hope this helps. We just finished our 2nd season with our Shamrock and it's everything we wanted. Fits our current situation perfectly.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I agree with you 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #19
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
You might want to try and shop some of the midwest dealers.....I had them quote the 23WS and RVWs pricing was not all that great. Actually it sucked. It certainly was not anything close to wholesale or discounted. Look online for Labadie RV in Toledo.....

Mr. Havercamp thanks for the tip, we will check them out. I know once you cross the Mississippi RV prices go up 20%+, for some reason.

I know the quote I got once for a 2014 at RVW was around $23k for the 23IKSS we wanted and it included shipping charges to Colorado.

The local dealer wanted $27k for a 23IKSS he had on the lot which didn't have the options we wanted; basically the base model no options. Oh yea they had the Dealer Upgraded Power Tongue Jack! They basically refused to order the model we wanted unless we were willing to pay MSRP, plus shipping, and their extensive dealer prep?

I was blown away! He stated he only gets price breaks on models he preorders each year, so custom orders are more for him which he passes on to the customer with minimal market up!

Then we went on to the trade in and they only want to give less than half the NADA price. At the time other dealers wanted to buy my Coleman Popup out right not as a trade in, as they are real popular in Colorado and hard to get nice ones to sell.

We then showed them the RVW quote and told him we would buy from him if they could be more reasonable on ordering a custom unit. He did the let me ask the manager and owner to see what he can do routine.

That was the time I had my wife with me and she was ready to buy on the spot. This was the top of the pile. The other issues were stupid or funny, but that visit was just out right....

Yea not going to purchase from them!

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #20

I know the prices have gone up in the 1 1/2 years since we bought ours. About 2000 as I see advertised prices. However they have added more features. We paid about 20000 for a nearly loaded early 2015, then paid extra later for a slide topper. I know we saved some because we live 3 hrs from the factory. Much less transportation charge. Coleraine RV in Indy. Good dealer.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo