Old 09-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

Roo/shamrock advice

I'm a new forum member... joined today. I'm researching RVs and would like any input regarding hybrid campers. I had an rpod for about a year then sold it... unable to use due to family obligations. I like the looks of the roo/ shamrock and would like to know about concerns I've read about regarding leaks, moisture problems with the mattress, safely issues regarding the tent bedroom areas. All input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Quote:
would like to know about concerns I've read about regarding leaks, moisture problems with the mattress, safely issues regarding the tent bedroom areas
All of those things can be a problem with a hybrid... tent ends that close on a rubber seal can leak. Keeping the seal areas clean goes a long way. Some have added gutters above the seal, especially the front bunk, have solved the problem for some. Keeping an eye open for leaks and reacting to them promptly goes a long way toward not having a problem.

Moisture under the mattress is caused by sleeping in cool wet weather and having condensation form from body heat under the mattress. If that happens some place a thin sheet of insulation under the mattress... others a wool blanket. I usually keep the stock heated mattress on and that eliminate the condition (cold outside surface) that causes the condensation.

I do not know of any safety issues other than someone once reported that the outside tent edge gave way and could have caused a problem rolling out of bed. Years ago there was nothing more then bungy cords holding the tent ends in place. Now they are glued and screwed down pretty securely.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

Appreciate your input. I had read about the wool blanket or reflectix insulation under the mattress but not about the heated mattress. I also read about "pugs" being used over the tent bedroom areas... don't know what those are..??
Old 09-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #4

pugs

PopupGizmos

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

I looked at the site... thanks again. Are the pugs the covers over the tent bedroom areas?
Old 09-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

YES

they can be added for extremely hot or cold camping

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Rdees, my first queation is "have you previously owned a popup and are attracted to the idea of sleeping under canvas?"
Too many people buy a hybrid because of the sleeping space in a small package but don't consider the pros and cons of the canvas ends. They often end up selling it after one season.
Second, what will you be towing with?
Third, because hybrids have 2-3 giant holes in them and the canvas ends, there's more maintenance required than your Rpod needed.

Most hybrid owners are former popup owners and know what they're getting into. They just want less setup and more amenities but still have the sleeping under canvas experience.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #8

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

I've never owned a pop up so I appreciate your input. I hadn't thought about it that way. This is why I'm asking questions...so much great information being shared. Thanks again for the input I'm receiving.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #10

Whatever you get, make sure you've got a tow vehicle that is up to the task.

Do NOT get suckered by "dry weight." No trailer ever weighed "dry weight." Since you can't weigh a trailer until you've bought it, assume the trailer weighs the GVWR number that's on the sticker on the left front of the trailer.

Then assume that your tongue weight is 13% of the GVWR. Now add the weight of a weight distribution hitch of 75-100 lbs. This is your hitch weight.

Your tow vehicles payload capacity is on a tire and loading sticker on the drivers door frame. When you subtract the hitch weight from the payload, the result is what you have left to cover driver, passengers, dogs, and stuff.

If you still have payload left over, NOW think about towing capacity. Make sure the towing capacity is greater than the GVWR.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, shamrock