Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Roof maintenance question

Yesterday I picked my HTT ('04 Shamrock 232) from the local RV dealer. I had all the gas lines checked to be safe. I asked some general questions, as I am a TT newbie. One of the things I was concerned about was the roof. The tech confirmed that it was rubber. When I asked about sealing it, he said the RV folks wish people wouldn't do that because it makes it harder for them to do roof repairs when there is a problem. He said the best thing to is store it covered. Well, not everyone has that option. Then I asked about buying a cover. He said it would help. So, what to do? I was prepared to take preventative measures and seal everything up there. I have read so much about people doing this and it made perfect sense to me.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Cheffonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

First of all, congratulations on your new camper and welcome to the forum. As for your roof, keep it clean. I wash my roof every time I wash the camper (maybe once a month, give or take). I use Thetford RV Rubber Roof Cleaner & Conditioner. (Some people prefer other products, I've had good luck with that one.) Go up on the roof every spring and caulk any cracks you see around any of the roof penetrations or edges with Dicor self leveling lap sealant. You can pick that up at Camping World or any RV supply place. Also re-caulk your windows, doors, and any other openings on the sides with a good mildew resistant caulk. I agree with your RV tech that it is best to keep them in covered storage, but if you can't do that, doing what I mentioned above should keep your roof in good shape.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your advice
Old 04-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

You'll probably find that there are two camps regarding this topic. Those that clean and treat their roof and those that don't see the need. We clean and treat ours at least once a year and we keep our trailer under covered storage. This is what we use to treat it with.

Edit *** We use Murpy's oil soap to clean it.

slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #5

Thank you! I appreciate any and all advice as well as opinions
Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #6

Have you been on the roof yet?
Did you notice any loose caulking around the vent stacks or the vents?
If not then just wash it off with a very soft brush and wear a pair of soft sole shoes.

RV covers are NOT water proof so if there is a problem you need to get on it right away.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

I have not. We have had a lot of rain so I have been waiting for a nice day to do that. Tomorrow is looking good🌞
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffonade View Post
Yesterday I picked my HTT ('04 Shamrock 232) from the local RV dealer. ... The tech confirmed that it was rubber.
You just picked it up? You have a manual for the trailer, but these can be pretty generic.
You also have a care and maintenance brochure from the manufacturer of the roof covering. Go by that. My 2604WS has an Alpha Systems roof with a 12-yr., pro-rated warranty. The manual says to wash it using Spic-n-Span or Top Job and a soft brush. It also states it does not need any protectants and they strongly advise that not any be used.
The tech may be right - the roof's manual is your bible.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

I actually bought it from a private individual about a month ago. He was the second owner of 5 years. He never used the propane! I wanted to be sure everything with the gas was in working order so I took it to the local dealer for service. We used every feature of our pup and knew I would want to do the same with the HTT. It was a good move and not as costly as I thought. They replaced the regulator and pigtails due to a leak then tested all the lines throughout.
Anyhoo, I have read lots of opinions re. Roof maintenance on here in the last month. Just recently, I came across what the manufacturer suggested. So, I am in agreement with you. I am going to caulk and keep it clean. Hopefully, it will hold up for a while. I read that the roof is designed to last 20 years. Here's hoping we have some time with our 10 yr old HTT!

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof