Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #1

Roof type and maintenance [09 Roo 183]

Hey there, everybody! Looks like it's time to make my first post.

I've got a new (to me) 2009 Rockwood Roo 183 Hybrid, and love it already (even though we haven't taken it out yet).

I've been cleaning it and learning the ins and outs and discovered that the better I take care of the roof, the longer it'll last. I honestly thought there would be zero maintenance up top, but I've since learned otherwise.

I climbed up there today and am trying to figure out if I have a rubber roof, or something else. Based on this post, about a 2015 camper, I think I've got an "Alpha-Ply" roof, because of the texture I have on my roof. Can anybody confirm this? My roof is textured, similar to an orange peel.

If yes.... do I need to clean it and put some sort of protectant on it? Any suggestions? I definitely need to put some lap coat sealant around the skylight and a couple other areas, but what about the main roof?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping this gives enough information to help steer me towards a long-lasting room.

Edit: I should point out, my roof is hard... it doesn't feel like rubber at all.

Thank you, everybody!
TheGearharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:01 AM   #2

My advise for roof caulk... get on the roof and be critical of anything that looks cracked or loose and peeling... give it a tug... use a plastic putty knife under the edge of the caulk and if it peels up then you have a problem... if it is stuck on good then go to the next piece you see.

myself and others have used Eternabond tape (2" to 6" wide) to tape over all good looking caulk making sure the tape is adhered onto GOOD CLEAN ROOF. Pull up bad caulk and tape over that spot for a repair that will last 10 years plus on a roof... Many threads on here about Eternabonding your roof.

A leaking roof is your biggest worry, so just go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for possible problem areas.

youtube video determine your roof type

https://youtu.be/KL5qJw397Rc

Eternabond you roof...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

I have done this to my 183 almost 4 years ago and still looks new...

I hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearharts View Post

I've been cleaning it and learning the ins and outs and discovered that the better I take care of the roof, the longer it'll last. I honestly thought there would be zero maintenance up top, but I've since learned otherwise.
Why does everyone think this ? other than cleaning if it's not leaking there isn't a problem. I haven't read my manual in years but I don't seem to recall it saying that anything other than a cleaning is required. My advice ( as a general contractor) is to leave well enough alone I can't see any good coming of poking and prying with any sort of instrument other than creating a leak where one didn't exist
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
other than cleaning if it's not leaking there isn't a problem.
AND IF IT IS LEAKING you already have a problem... a BIG problem so preventive maintenance is the name of the RV game...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #5

Sounds like a fiberglass reinforced panel roof.(FRP) I have the same on my motorhome and clean it, inspect seams, penetrations and caulk as needed with self leveling decor or lap sealant. I believe preventative maintenance can save you lots $$$
Old 08-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJC View Post
Sounds like a fiberglass reinforced panel roof.(FRP) I have the same on my motorhome and clean it, inspect seams, penetrations and caulk as needed with self leveling decor or lap sealant. I believe preventative maintenance can save you lots $$$
NO hybrid trailer has a fiberglass roof and this thread is in the Hybrid section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
Canadian Member

Your 2009 Roo probably has the same Alpha TPO roof membrane that my 2010 Roo had. My current TT has the same roof membrane. I wash it using Murphy’s Oil Soap. You don’t need to use a “protectant” on it. If you keep it clean, you won’t have much trouble with black streaks.

You’ll want to keep on top of maintaining the caulk on the roof (I use Alpha Systems 1021 self-levelling caulk) or you can cover it all with Eternabond tape.

Here is a video from Alpha Systems on the FR video page.

https://youtu.be/it2ZIKs821k
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
Why does everyone think this ? other than cleaning if it's not leaking there isn't a problem. I haven't read my manual in years but I don't seem to recall it saying that anything other than a cleaning is required. My advice ( as a general contractor) is to leave well enough alone I can't see any good coming of poking and prying with any sort of instrument other than creating a leak where one didn't exist
I agree... Unless it's obvious I don't touch it.... Instead, I will use a sufficient amount/length of eternabond and cover it. A lot of people will go ahead tape all seams and caulk points with eternabond regardless of leaks or not.... that seems to be a good idea or a preventive measure. Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread... Remember, he just wants to know what his roof is made of...
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
hiinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
AND IF IT IS LEAKING you already have a problem... a BIG problem so preventive maintenance is the name of the RV game...
That logic is incredibly flawed. Flat tires suck by the time you have a flat you have a problem but people don't go around changing their tires or even the air in their tires as a preventative measure. You just leave it alone until you notice it's going soft. The same shoould apply to the roof don't fix whats not broken it's a waste of time and money where a well meaning person can do a lot of harm .Poking and prodding the sealant on these roofs is a great way to make a leak where there isnt one.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
The same shoould apply to the roof don't fix whats not broken it's a waste of time and money where a well meaning person can do a lot of harm .
Well meaning might mean un-mechanical or non-understanding... I am neither and I do preventive maintenance.

Using your LOGIC then,
I should NOT use a TPMS on my tires, AND
I guess I should not change engine oil either...

To each their own.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Well meaning might mean un-mechanical or non-understanding... I am neither and I do preventive maintenance.

Using your LOGIC then,
I should NOT use a TPMS on my tires, AND
I guess I should not change engine oil either...

To each their own.
What im saying is you should check your oil but you don't need to go changing seals on your engine that aren't leaking.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
What im saying is you should check your oil but you don't need to go changing seals on your engine that aren't leaking.
rsdata suggested checking the condition of the sealant both for visible cracks and for adhesion to the roof with the option of applying Eternabond tape. Although I wouldn’t use a plastic putty knife, I agree that those checks are required regularly.

Are you suggesting that applying the Eternabond tape equates to changing the engine seals? If so, that’s not a reasonable comparison. The Eternabond tape eliminates the need have to regularly touch up the self-leveling sealant therefore its a labor-saving measure. It doesn’t require removing the old sealant (so no engine tear down to replace seals).
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
Site Team

Not constantly checking the caulking, is a recipe for water intrusion.
Why do you think manufacturers only guarantee to the caulking for 90 days? They know it can start splitting or lifting in a short time.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof