Old 08-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Rough Road Cabinet Door fell off

Just got back from a 3 day church youth activity that was over a 7 mile rough road with the Roo. When we got into the area we opened the door & found one of our cabinet doors had completely come off the storage area beneath my bed and was lying on the floor, screws scattered around. Looked at some of the different methods for repairing stripped out holes & went to HD to get some of the materials. While there I found this:
Woodmate 2498 Mr. Grip Screw Hole Repair Kit - Wall Surface Repair Products -

I thought for a buck sixty it might be worth a try. Came home & tried it out as I will be leaving this afternoon for a fathers & sons outting in the Roo & wanted the door back in place. I was impressed with the simplicity & how well the screws tightened up & got the door back in place. I did get a dowel & a new bottle of wood glue in case it doesn't work. Time will tell. Just wanted to share this little tip.

2001 Chevy Silverado
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Please let us know how this works. I've used the dowel rod approach before and it works great but if you have to make repairs in the field without your home toolbox, it would be good to have alternatives.

jking46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
I had a 4-foot high door on a closet that kept loosening the screws on its upper hinge. I kept retightening but then once after arrival, I found the door open and hanging down with the top screws completely out.

What I found was that the top catch (the door was high enough to have two) was not even making contact. The part on the door was mounted too low and the other catch was not strong enough to hold the door closed. What must have happened was that the door was swinging open and shut on the road and the screws on the upper frame just couldn't hold.

When putting the screws back in, I just jammed a couple lengths of round toothpick in the stripped hole and they hold nice and solid again. I also fixed the catch mounting (as well as checked all the others and found a few other questionable ones).

P.S. If a cabinet has two doors with handles in the center, I also use mini-bungees to lash them together, which will keep the doors from opening under almost any circumstance.
2015 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8282WS Platinum, GY Marathon LRD, TST 507RV TPMS
2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB D/A, Curt E16, Prodigy P2, Garmin RV760LMT w/BC-20 b/u cam

DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote