Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
Old Ram Guy

Rubber Roofs and Hybrid Bunk End Cables

Hello, I'm new to the Forum and just traded in a 2009 Coleman Niagara for a 2015 Shamrock 23IKSS Hybrid. I went through the demo with the dealer when I picked up the camper and specifically asked how often I needed to seal the roof. The dealer told me there was no reason to ever seal the roof and all I needed to do was wash it with a mild soap and water solution a couple times a year. I went through all the paperwork, once I got it home and there is no mention of resealing the roof. Here's the rub; I had a Jayco Kiwi back in the day that leaked after the first year and, since it was under warranty, I took it to have it repaired. They told me that since I didn't reseal the roof once every three months I had invalidated my warranty. I was not a happy camper! I would like to avoid getting into the same warranty situation with the Shamrock. Does anyone know for a fact if the Shamrock roof needs to be resealed periodically. Also, I am a pretty large guy and I'm a bit concerned about how much weight the cables on the fold down bunks can hold. Between my wife and I we could easily put close to 500lbs in one of those bunks. Anyone know if they can take the stress!!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #2

I'm not sure how encompassing "sealing the roof" is, but unless it's damaged the rubber roof should not need to be "sealed". Keeping it clean will prevent black streaks down the side of the TT, and I believe there are products on the market that condition the rubber roof to keep it from deteriorating from the sun. It is important to inspect your roof periodically and use lap sealant to touch up joints around the edges and around anything mounted to your roof that may be an entry point for water - just as you recaulk the windows around your home. I'm sure you will get many opinions on how to maintain your roof, but this is my take on it.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

In regards to the hybrid cables, I had a 2006 Kodiak hybrid with small diameter cables. The cabels where rated for 1800 lbs!! I am also not a small man and had no problems with the hybrid bed at all!

2015 Rockwood 2109s
Casual_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

The bunk cables claim to be rated to support 1200 lbs - now whether the rest of the bunk is rated that high, I don't know, but you should be fine.

As for the rubber roof - no it does not need to be sealed, but the seams do. As you will see, there is a ton of caulk up there. Our trailer has a sticker by the entry door that says seals must be inspected every 90 days. The manual also says to inspect and re-seal. No specifics on what/how you "inspect". Now, how you prove you inspected the roof or re-sealed it on schedule (unless you paid a dealer every time) I don't know?? I asked our dealer about it - they offer cleaning, inspection, and re-sealing as 3 different services, and they aren't cheap. They said clean & inspect, re-seal as needed and that on a 1 year old camper its unlilely to need resealing. Again, never got a straight answer about how you prove it for warranty purposes if you do it yourself.

But for sure - it pays to keep the roof clean. Don't use any citrus based cleaners, but something mild and a soft brush. I also allpied a UV protectant (rubber roof conditioner). Keeping the roof clean keeps the sides much cleaner, and gives you a chance to inspect the seams.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Site Team

as was said, it's the seams that need periodic maintenence for resealing.
many just put Eternabond on all the roof seams, so there's no need for resealing, though it should be inspected on a regular basis.

and bunk end cables are generally rated for 1000lbs.-1200lbs.
never heard of them rated for 1800lbs.
maybe the cables alone but not in conjuction with the bunk door platform.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Old Ram Guy

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, it helps a lot. I'll definitely look for the Eternabond Bikendan. This is a great site and there are no friendlier or more helpful people than campers! See you all out there.

Tags
hybrid, roo, roof