Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Safety chain location on your Roo?

Are your safety chains located behind the jack or behind the coupler? Mine are in front of the jack, just behind the coupler and after a recent trip, I think the location of my chains might be a problem with my Andersen WDH. I thought my chains were a bit short to begin with but never had a problem with them until my last trip. The Andersen uses a triangular plate that has chains attached to it with a C shackle or clevis (not quite sure what it's called). Anyways, when I made a really sharp turn up in the mountains I heard a pop and jolt. I pulled over and saw that one of my chains on the Andersen was disconnected and that the clevis was nowhere to be found. I had to have a friend tow my trailer home. Upon inspection, I think what happened was that a) my chains were a bit short and b) since they were short, on the tight turn the chains were preventing the triangle plat to swivel far enough that the tension basically broke the clevis. I've since added a few more links to the chains to reduce any possible tension, contacted Andersen about this, and I'm debating if I can re-attach the safety chains further back so they aren't rubbing the plate. Here's a pic w/o the chains hooked up. You can see the chains are right up on the plate just hanging.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

I have a similar setup with the chains in the same spot, Anderson wdh. 2014 23IKSS 2007 Tundra. Not had any issues like that. My safety chains hook to my receiver a couple inches an either side from the tube. I don' t know if your chains my hook up to your truck further apart from each other, effectively shortening them. Longer chains would be my suggestion. FWIW
CA62Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #3

My Mini Lite is similar to yours. Brought it home from the dealer (2hrs away). Backing into my driveway, got the truck almost 90 degrees to the trailer, heard a "pop" and the chains broke the bar they were attached to. Obviously, they were too short. I wasn't going to drive 2 hrs back to the dealer without chains, so I had it fixed nearby. They welded a new rod across the frame behind the busted one and gave me new, LONGER, chains. Kind of makes you wonder how well it would have held up if it had actually come off the ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety chain connection #1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	83669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety chain connection #2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	83670  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #4

I have the same setup as well with 23ikss and ram 1500 ecodiesel. Have not had a problem at all. In fact the anderson wdh is amazing and works flawlessly. I agree your chains may have been too short. Also, make sure the chains are on top of the plate when connected as seen in this picture. If placed under it may stretch the chains too far on a sharp turn and something will give way. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437532909189.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	83671  
Mikewcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #5

Well I added about 5 links to each chain to make sure there wasn't tension. I was also considering placing the chains above the plate but I wasn't sure what, if any, problems that would cause. We'll be taking a trip on Thursday, I'm still waiting on a response by Andersen.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #6

Good luck. Curious to know Andersen's response.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

Response from Andersen:

"We can see where your safety chains can be problem with the rotation of the triangle plate that is on the bottom of the tow ball. Longer chain is a good option and the other would be replacing them with nylon covered safety chains and have them go over the top of the triangle plate. Here is an example of the nylon coated chains."

The nylon coated will help with noise and the hitch components not being dinged. I'll have to look into the nylon stuff. Didn't realize they made them.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 07-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #8

Yea you will not have problems now especially if you run the chains over the top of the plate. Like Rockfordroo said it does make you wonder if it could hold the weight if the ball did actually pop out. Seems like that amount of force would snap the shackle right off!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewcrook View Post
Yea you will not have problems now especially if you run the chains over the top of the plate. Like Rockfordroo said it does make you wonder if it could hold the weight if the ball did actually pop out. Seems like that amount of force would snap the shackle right off!
Well I asked them about putting the chains over the plate and they said:

"The only issue with going over the top would be if the chains loops are large enough to grab the pin that holds the triangle plate on it could bend the pin or chain so a sheathed chain would eliminate that issue."

I'm thinking nylon might be a better option or welding something on to bring the chains back.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 07-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

I didn't think about that but I suppose it could happen. Yes maybe a sheathed chain is the answer to eliminate that worry. I have not had any issues in almost 2 years of use. Good luck.

Tags
cat, location, roo, safety