Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #1

Sand/grit clogging water lines??

I have a 2018 Roo 19. This weekend we attempted to dry camp. I filled the fresh water tank from hose bib with a prefilter on the hose. Turned the water pump on, released the air in the lines opening both faucets and shower. Water ran for 30 seconds then it started to trickle out and the toilet wouldn’t flush. Opened up the water filter next to the water pump and it looked clean nothing was in the clear canister. Skipped the fresh water tank and attached a hose to the city water line hoping the electric water pump was just dying. To no avail. Even with city connection no pressure. Disconnected the hose to the showerhead and found sand/grit blocking the screen. Also found it at the connection for the toilet. Cleaned all that out and everything works fine. My question is where is the sand/grit coming from? Is it possible the anode rod is disintegrating inside the water heater and clogging up the lines? I’m very adamant on emptying out the water heater after every trip so as not to let water sit in the tank and disintegrate the rod prematurely, but can it happen very quickly? Within a matter of days? I’m hoping maybe I have a faulty one that just falling apart if that’s the problem.
skratchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 AM   #2

Just emptying the WH is not as effective as flushing it out. You may be leaving particle's in it.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:42 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by skratchd View Post
... Is it possible the anode rod is disintegrating inside the water heater and clogging up the lines? I’m very adamant on emptying out the water heater after every trip so as not to let water sit in the tank and disintegrate the rod prematurely, but can it happen very quickly? Within a matter of days? I’m hoping maybe I have a faulty one that just falling apart if that’s the problem.
The anode rod debris cannot get into the cold water lines. Have you removed the water filter? If so, you need to replace it with a new one.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
"On the road again"

One RV park we stayed in had a water line break and evidently during the repair LOTS of sand/dirt got into the lines. They didn't bother to warn us and when we turned the water back on we had good pressure for maybe 10 seconds then a trickle.

We discovered that the sand/dirt they got into the line completely clogged our filter. New filter - and everything was great again.

Hopefully your fix will be that easy.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

Most times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The anode rod debris cannot get into the cold water lines.
Most times, that's true. If, however, during the winterizing process if someone were to have opened the low-point drains before draining/bypassing the water heater, the cold line (lower on the water heater tank) would collect all the debris.

It seems remote, but it does seem to happen to folks on this forum. It's not enough to have a checklist--the checklist must be executed in a particular order.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Could the so-called sand/grit have actually been filtering media that came from a failed water filter? There is stuff in those filters to filter the water and sometimes the screens and strainers can fail and let the filter media come through into the water lines. For 50 years I have never used a water filter and never found sand or grit in my water lines. At this stage of the game I do not intend to start using one.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #7

I also have never used a water filter, in all my camping equipment, but this last trip I also got some sand and crud in my lines my toilet stopped cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180806_145150.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	183051  
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Is this the first time you've used the fresh water tank and pump?
If so, then it was probably left over from construction and you're just now getting it out.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Yup...

Typically you'll find bits of plastic and sawdust in the water lines.

Usually if you remove the tip of each faucet and clean out the restrictor/screen you'll find that stuff built up there.

It is a normal thing...even though one would think it shouldn't be.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Is this the first time you've used the fresh water tank and pump?
If so, then it was probably left over from construction and you're just now getting it out.

No, I’ve used it a couple times. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the anode rod deteriorating really fast. Maybe it’s faulty. I’m gonna try a new one since I’ve already flushed out the water heater tank really well and see what happens from there.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #11

Thank you everyone for your responses. I’ll keep you posted.

Tags
water