Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #11

Seems odd to contaminate a seal. Convention says keep seals clean and dry. If they stick there has to be a cause. I guess id rather have a water tight seal that sticks rather than put something on it that comes between the seal and the surface. But what do I know ...

Question ... What does the factory say to do?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #12

well as a matter of fact I wouldn't say my seals are contaminated because I am not caking on the powder, simply applying a light dusting. Since I have started this practice, they seem to be functioning just fine. All I offered in my post was my idea, I suppose I should add a disclaimer to my signature that states I am not a Forest River Factory Representative and instead am simply an owner with independent and possibly different idea's.

2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #13

Mine are clean and treated and they stick. I always have to grab the part of the latch attached to the door and yank on it.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWhiskey View Post
Seems odd to contaminate a seal. Convention says keep seals clean and dry. If they stick there has to be a cause. I guess id rather have a water tight seal that sticks rather than put something on it that comes between the seal and the surface. But what do I know ...

Question ... What does the factory say to do?
Believe they will sell you a treatment for seals. Even rubber hardens and ages . You should treat to retard the break down and leaks.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #15

My Roo manual says to treat seals with a silicone based cleaner. I've been using a Liquid Wrench product I found in the RV section at Walmart. I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives. The cleaner you keep the seals and mating surfaces the greater the surface tension between the two which I believe causes the sticking. Kind of like millions of tiny suction cups.