Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #1

Seal Sticking

Anyone had any trouble with the bed end doors sticking? The last few times we've had trouble opening. Had to pull real hard or have someone go inside and push a bit. Seems the black seal is sticking a bit to the white metal edge of bed door. Is there anything I can put on the seal to lubricate without affecting seal? Certainly not worried about it leaking!

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
magnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #2

BTW I have a 2013 Roo 23SS

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

I'd go the other way with it first ... Try cleaning the seal and opposite surface first. If you got sap or other residue from nature - bugs too - (maybe even road grime or exposure to some common chemicals) it can make a sticky surface. Have had seals get sticky like this. The seals shouldn't normally stick
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnmike
Anyone had any trouble with the bed end doors sticking? The last few times we've had trouble opening. Had to pull real hard or have someone go inside and push a bit. Seems the black seal is sticking a bit to the white metal edge of bed door. Is there anything I can put on the seal to lubricate without affecting seal? Certainly not worried about it leaking!
Try baby or talcum powder.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Seals sticking is caused by dirty seals.

I use RV seal spray when I wash the camper.

RV Slide OUT Rubber Seal Treatment Extend Life Reduce Friction UV Protection | eBay
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #6

We have the same problem with our 23ss the last two times we camped.
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

May have to try the spray. I've cleaned the metal side several times and wipe them before we close up. Seals look really clean. Never had this happen on our 2006 model so must be something different about these seals.

2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2004 Nissan Armada
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #8

Mines a 2013 23SS. No issues.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

I find the beds hard to open if I don't open the door or a vent. Its made even worse if I start the ac before opening the ends.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #10

there is a post either in these forums or from that "RV Repair Guy" you tube site.....sorry I can't remember.

Take an old gym sock, put it over your hand, sprinkle your finger tip area liberally (you will have to do it a few times throughout your effort) with Baby Powder and wipe down ALL your black rubber seals (bunk and slide) on some sort of schedule. I plan for twice a year and have noticed that the seals "slide" across things easily and don't stick.

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #11

Seems odd to contaminate a seal. Convention says keep seals clean and dry. If they stick there has to be a cause. I guess id rather have a water tight seal that sticks rather than put something on it that comes between the seal and the surface. But what do I know ...

Question ... What does the factory say to do?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

well as a matter of fact I wouldn't say my seals are contaminated because I am not caking on the powder, simply applying a light dusting. Since I have started this practice, they seem to be functioning just fine. All I offered in my post was my idea, I suppose I should add a disclaimer to my signature that states I am not a Forest River Factory Representative and instead am simply an owner with independent and possibly different idea's.

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #13

Mine are clean and treated and they stick. I always have to grab the part of the latch attached to the door and yank on it.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWhiskey View Post
Seems odd to contaminate a seal. Convention says keep seals clean and dry. If they stick there has to be a cause. I guess id rather have a water tight seal that sticks rather than put something on it that comes between the seal and the surface. But what do I know ...

Question ... What does the factory say to do?
Believe they will sell you a treatment for seals. Even rubber hardens and ages . You should treat to retard the break down and leaks.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #15

My Roo manual says to treat seals with a silicone based cleaner. I've been using a Liquid Wrench product I found in the RV section at Walmart. I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives. The cleaner you keep the seals and mating surfaces the greater the surface tension between the two which I believe causes the sticking. Kind of like millions of tiny suction cups.
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote