Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

seasoning the tents.

Today the dealer is on his way to the rec. site to check on our leaking canvas. I wanted to make sure one last time I seasoned the seals correctly so out came the FR manual. I checked....and checked...and checked and no where in the manual does it say to season the canvas. Strange!! I checked through all the paperwork and finally found a single piece of paper which tells you how to do it. (I did it correctly according to this) "All vinyl tents need to get wet one or more times to seal needle holes." it goes on to tell you to wet the vinyl and allow to dry completly. That's it. You would think this would be included in the manual if from what I read on here it has to be done with any type of tent system. Anyone new to "tent camping" could easily overlook this single piece of paper inside with the hundred others you get with a new camper. Just thinking maybe FR should add a section devoted to this "seasoning" since it's a must be done thing so these won't leak.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Have to agree with you about FR manuals. I don't think it matters which line or class of RV you purchased. FR manuals are pretty much general info, nothing specific. We received a general motorhome manual and a few sheets of paper about our Forced Option, love that term, Artic Pak. Some of the info looked like it had been copied thousands of times and had turned about 10 degrees on the paper.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Have to agree with you about FR manuals. I don't think it matters which line or class of RV you purchased. FR manuals are pretty much general info, nothing specific.
X2 on that thought. I was very disappointed when I sat down to read the manuals. What do I need information about 5th wheel hitching for if I bought a bumper pull? Manual was totally generic. Its not just a FR thing - appliances, cars, just about everything comes with a generic manual that covers multiple models. You can't remember everything from the PDI, and they probably miss a few things. Seems like in this age of bar codes and computerized work orders and digital printing the factory could print or assemble a manual based on what model and what components actually went into that unit. I'd pay a few extra bucks for that.

As for seasoning the canvas - I don't know if our dealer did any of this before we picked it up, but when I sprayed them initially, I never saw any water come through the threads. I left the bunks down for a week and they got a couple light rains as well. After that we have had no leaks in the canvas while camping in some pretty good rain.

Seems like if the thread needs to swell it would do it right away, but maybe not. Either way, sounds like you have done everything you should to season it. Hopefully the service tech gets to the bottom of the issue and the leaks become a thing of the past.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Team

first thing, FR owner's manuals are typical of the RV industry, no matter who is the manufacturer. there are a few exceptions but the majority just provide something similar to the FR manual.
remember, FR is somewhat of an assembler, with parts/sections from a variety of other manufacturers and sub-contractors.
FR puts THOSE companies' paperwork in the manual. FR doesn't make the stove or a/c or axles or the slide or the canvas ends. other companies do and know their products better than FR does.

our manual also only had the piece of paper about seasoning the tent seams and also care/maintenance of the canvas and ours is an '07.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Well the dealer showed up. I have to give credit where it is due this is something above what I expected. He looked at our canvas and as far as he can tell everything is in order. He explained the seasoning and we both agreed I have done it correct and many more times than should be needed, I then showed him the pictures of the water dripping in all along all the seams from the last storm and he was shocked. Long story short he wants me to forward all my pictures to him so he can forward them to FR to see what they want him to do. He said they will more than likely have him spray the seams with some type of over the counter sealer. Not real happy with that solution. Wll keep you informed. Just gonna enjoy the weekend camping with family and friends....not supposed to rain.lol
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
Just gonna enjoy the weekend camping with family and friends....not supposed to rain.lol
There you have it. The perfect solution for anyone with leaking tent ends - just don't camp in the rain! Maybe they could put that in their generic owners manual...

Not trying to make light of your situation though. Seems like your dealer is committed to getting it fixed, which is good to hear.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #7

Mine don't leak... And I have camped in the rain with my Roo 233s many times!

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Grizzlygibbs I am very very very happy for you. Like I have said before, it amazes me that some Roo's just dont seem to leak a drop. Really does amaze me. My camping certainly would be better if I was one of the lucky ones who got the few that don't leak. My Roo is set up in a perminant site so we have been camping now for almost two months. That should be considered many times I think.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #9

It just seems odd to me that there is so much variation in the quality of the canvas. Who manufactured the canvas on your 233s?

My canvas was manufactured and built by:

T J Snuggles, Inc.
1851 Dogwood Rd
Bremen, IN 46506-9074*

Phone: (574) 546-4404

I would suggest you call and complain to them as they are the company that provides the canvas to FR. They are also the company that does not pre-season or quality test their canvas like they should.

By no means am I trying to minimize your situation either. I had a problem with my model 300 Dometic toilet and Dometic came through very fast after calling their customer service. Of course, not everyone has this issue but many have. I would hope that you complain to Forest River and not just your dealer, and let them know about the many people who are dissatisfied with their canvas.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote