Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

shamrock 233s problems

we are just setting up our 2019 Shamrock 233s and have run into a few problems. Haven't contacted our dealer yet because I am betting I will have better luck here.

First problem is our radio will not turn on. It is an IRV 32 radio. We held the on button for more than 5 seconds and it is dead. The fuse is OK. The TV works fine. Does anyone have advice on this?

second problem is after several hours of being plugged in the lights started blinking on and off and then went out but came back on. The TV worked fine through all this. Then I was closing up and the slide room would not go in. If I pushed the out switch it made a noise but was already out so nothing else. When I hit the in switch nothing happens. no noise, nothing.... there is nothing blocking.

A little disappointing for a brand new unit. Any advice?
Tim Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

Just a thought but is your battery disconnect engaged? You should have the disconnect key turned to the “on” position during normal use.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

Do you have a voltmeter?

Check battery voltage. While plugged in your charger, converter, should put out voltage from almost 14 charging a near dead battery to around 13 as a trickle charge.. typically what you see from hooking up the tv.

If the radio has no sign of life, like the clock, you are getting no 12 volt. I would guess you might be able to see the back of the radio from the upper fridge vent, perhaps.

It is not impossible the unit has its own fuse there. Or might not be hooked up. Or you might have to get the manual on removing the radio from the wall.

Did it work at the PDI?

First time out, one must be handy. We spent a week in the rain our first time out. Rain was actually a good thing. We figured everything out. Ate well too!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Mayer View Post
we are just setting up our 2019 Shamrock 233s and have run into a few problems. Haven't contacted our dealer yet because I am betting I will have better luck here.

First problem is our radio will not turn on. It is an IRV 32 radio. We held the on button for more than 5 seconds and it is dead. The fuse is OK. The TV works fine. Does anyone have advice on this?

second problem is after several hours of being plugged in the lights started blinking on and off and then went out but came back on. The TV worked fine through all this. Then I was closing up and the slide room would not go in. If I pushed the out switch it made a noise but was already out so nothing else. When I hit the in switch nothing happens. no noise, nothing.... there is nothing blocking.

A little disappointing for a brand new unit. Any advice?
I have a 2014, 21ssl. I discovered that my radio was installed with 2 fuses about six inches apart. Yes, one fuse was crimp connected to a second fuse. I've no idea why especially since all the wires had an abundance of slack.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

On the slide my guess would be a loose wire at the switch. Mine did the same thing and it was a bad connection. Is the switch separate or part of a control panel? You could reverse the wires at the motor to get it back in or hand crank it.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the hints to fix my problem

Unfortunately I am still fighting it. I put my battery on the charger and now the slide room went in OK.

Question 1 - Yesterday when we were getting things organized for the first time we were plugged in to my house 110 outlet. If we were plugged in how could my batter have gone dead?

Yesterday the radio was dead all day but both TV's worked great. Today with a fully charged battery the slide room went in but the radio is still dead and now the two TV's and the microwave are also dead.

The fuses are fine in the fuse box and we can't get to anything else.

My dealer is 2.5 miles away and hate the thought of driving back and forth for warranty work. Open to all suggestions.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Two and a half miles away, and you don't want to take it in???

If my dealer was that close, I would have had it back there so fast it would make your head spin!!

TAKE THAT THING BACK TO THE DEALER!!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Two and a half miles away, and you don't want to take it in???

If my dealer was that close, I would have had it back there so fast it would make your head spin!!

TAKE THAT THING BACK TO THE DEALER!!!
The dealer we bought our Roo from, was 2000 miles away. FR found us local dealers willing to do the warranty work. But they were farther than 2.5 miles away.
Agree with taking it to the dealer and feel fortunate to have a dealer that close.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #9

woops 2.5 hours not miles

and the latest is that I went to another outlet at our storage lot and the slide, TV's and microwave worked. The radio is still dead. Does anyone know why TV's and microwave will not work on battery power but the slide out did?
Old 04-01-2019, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
and the latest is that I went to another outlet at our storage lot and the slide, TV's and microwave worked. The radio is still dead. Does anyone know why TV's and microwave will not work on battery power but the slide out did?

OK, 2.5 hours, that's a different story

The slide out is powered by 12VDC, essentially your house battery. Same with all the lighting in the camper. And your radio as well.

Microwave and Television and your converter that supplies power to charge the battery and supply 12VDC to the 12V electrics is powered by 120VAC, "shore power".

Were it me, I'd get on google, and find the directions for your radio. Actually, they should be in the packet with all of your other appliances' owners manuals. But it's probably just as fast to find it on the net if you're not in your camper. Then I would go out to the camper, remove the stereo's head unit, and inspect the wiring. Could be, probably is, something very simple, like the wiring harness was not plugged in. You should be able to get it pulled out in less than 5 minutes... there's no rocket science going on back there, if you could hook up a tv, vcr and stereo system before the advent of HDMI, you'll have no problems with the RV stereo. The instructions will have the wiring diagram, and likely it is also on a sticker on the back of the head unit. And, I'll just about bet that your antenna for the radio is still folded it up as it was in its shipping box from the factory. You'll need to unroll and spread it out so you can get some decent radio reception.

Also, look inside the cover on your converter and ensure that you don't have any blown or missing fuses... there will be a red LED illuminated next to the fuse if it is blown or missing.

Good Luck!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Read this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2061692

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Does anyone know why TV's and microwave will not work on battery power but the slide out did?
Tim, it sounds like your dealer gave you a poor walkthrough because explaining that the tv, outlets and microwave are 110v AC only, should be a basic thing covered in the walkthrough.
Makes me wonder what other things they failed on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, shamrock