Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Shamrock 23WS first impressions and (mods)

Well I here are some of my first impressions with my 23WS so far, I got to spend a little time with it in the yard, it is plugged into the house so everything works eyc.

1-I raised the tv antenna and aimed it toward pgh, it scanned over 50 Channels, the tv works Really well, I am impressed!

2-The slides run in and out really well, my wife calls it a "spaceship" from the slide motors and the LED light strip, I am impressed with the build quality so far, I am not finding anything to fix or fuss over( yet )

3-Very roomy, very cozy inside, nice colors and well thought out, the dinette is comfy and the bed mattresses are great! I had to use a
4 inch foam mattress with the Kodiak, not now.

4-this camper tows exceptionally well, I thought it was going to bully me every mile but it behaves nicely back there, I am very impressed.

5-This camper does well if you are traveling and need to stop for lunch etc, you can get around in it well with the slides in, a rest stop meal would be no problem, moving around while hitched the camper doesn't turn into a "bounce house"

6-This camper seems to warm up really fast, had it opened for 2 cold days because it rained and the ends were wet so I went in to play around in there and the nice quiet furnace brought it up to temp rather fast.

7.I like the main light switch that turns on the 6 lights, surprisingly it is helpful and most of the time needed, there is one single light over by the doors that you can turn on if you don't want too much light, also we have gotten accustomed to turning on the 2 reading lights over the sofa, makes a nice softer lighting and you can ad the stove light. I may ad a couple of lights but I won't replace the main batch of lights any time soon. (I was sure i was going to replace the lights but i feel they are fine)

8-I installed the paper towel rack under the cab behind the sink, love the counter space in here!

8-I installed the tp holder on the inside of the vanity door, after much debate we both agree and it seems a good fit, we never had much under there in the Kodiak.

9-I installed the towel rack they gave me, on the left wall going in about half way between the light switch and the ceiling. Was this stuff supposed to be installed? Glad it wasn't I got to put it all where I wanted it.

10-didn't cook with it yet but the outside grill and little shelf are really cool, kinda looks fun to use, I am the cook so I will know right away if it works well.

My first mod is to install a hitch to put my bike rack into, I have a rather robust hitch for a Ford PU i am gonna fab under the rear on the frame, when I get it finished I will post a picture what i have imagined I think will work well, it is going to be a little overbuilt but I don't want any trouble back there.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats!

We have the 23SS, which is the original version of the 23WS. The DW had kitchen counterspace as #1 musr have, so the 23SS was one of 3 hybrid floorplans with adequate counterspace.

Be aware, modding the bumper and frame will jeopardize the frame warranty, if you have any future issues.

Personally, my bikes are too valuable to risk them where I can't see them, on an ultralight frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

Camping is all about taking the bikes for us, I am not going to have warranty issues with a frame, LOL, besides i could weld up any frame problem in an evening no sweat, and you can see the bikes in the camera, this will not even touch the rear bumper.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #4

Congratulations on the new Shamrock! We signed on ours just yesterday (a Roo 233S which we chose for the 3rd bunk). We looked real close at the 23WS as my wife really liked all the counter space. Glad to hear it tows nicely as I haven't towed anything bigger than our Starcraft Centennial pop-up, although since we just traded up from our Expedition to an F 150 I don't think it will present a problem. We are vey excited to finally pick it up and go camping!
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

My wife and I were in our 23ws this afternoon, and tried to find the best place to install the toilet paper holder. There I was, sitting in there and looking at the two walls and it never came to mind to use the vanity door interior.......Great idea on your part.
We are very anxious to put that thing on the road (it was shipped to us in November), but we still have to wait a few months.

As for my first mod, it will be to install a garbage can in the cabinet next to the entry door....... I will use sliders just like a drawer and build a shelf at floor level. The garbage can will be screwed to it. It will be an easy pull out and push in.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #6

Mainframe, glad you got a good one...congrats. Curious to see how you do the receiver. I am one who does not buy into the warranty and other hoopla altering something I own. The only issue I see is going under bumper because the one thing I do not like about these is the low ground clearance.

Yours was built the day before what was to be mine was built. I guess Wednesdays now need to be added to Mondays and Fridays? More on that in about 8 weeks.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #7

Mr Havercamp did you cancel and order another? Give us the scoop!!!? If you did reorder you will get a 2017 I bet, if not and they fix yours well either way your gonna have a beautiful camper, these things are so sharp looking I can't get used to it.

As far as the hitch goes, This camper is much higher than the Kodiak, also there are two drag/skid hoops under there on the frame, I think the hitch will be slightly above those, at any rate it will be just another thing to drag instead of the camper/bumper.

I really would like to weld this thing on but I am a little leery about shooting the arc through the camper systems, I think I can bolt it all on but it is going to be a lot of work drilling the frame with no drill press, I can drill press the pieces, but the frame is going to be all bull work. The bike rack hitch is a must have for us so this is going to be very important and basically permanent.

Also if i bolt it on and the need arises to sell the camper I can just go under with the 3/8 air gun and spin it all off easily.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #8

Good to hear the furnace is quiet. It was so loud in our PUP I woke up whenever it came on. We never slept well in it due to the hard beds and furnace which is why we have a 23ikss on order. Glad yours is going well so far!
Feasba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #9

Micamper6 you are gonna notice a BIG difference from towing a hybrid vs a pop up, that said I don't think you will have any problems, It just takes some getting used to. The first thing you notice is you can't see over it LOL, my Kodiak was 17 feet so it was a great starter Hybrid to get my feet wet in towing them.

Drenjoey I really feel for you having that rig all this time and not being able to use it! for the 6 years I had the Kodiak i always threatened to take a Feb trip to Fla and stay at a state park, I even have the park picked out, I may campagn for that next winter! LOL
Old 02-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #10

Feasba you will have your 23ikss in plenty of time for this camping season! be prepared to be wowed by your rig once you get your hands on it! My wife wouldn't let me make a Facebook post about the camper it would be too much bragging so I have to talk about it to you folks because you all have me LOL

I a gonna say it again, WOW is this thing sharp! sorry LOL
Old 02-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Micamper6 you are gonna notice a BIG difference from towing a hybrid vs a pop up, that said I don't think you will have any problems, It just takes some getting used to. The first thing you notice is you can't see over it LOL, my Kodiak was 17 feet so it was a great starter Hybrid to get my feet wet in towing them.
Actually I really couldn't see over my PUP while towing either as it is a high wall with air conditioning, and technically the 'Roo won't be the 'biggest' thing I have towed either, although not over the road. I am a heavy equipment mechanic, and have 'towed' broken down equipment weighing over 125 TON!!

Seriously, I do feel much better with the prospects of towing with the new 3.5 Ecoboost F 150 vs. the Expedition as I have much greater margin and will be using a wdh with anti sway for the first time. I am very glad to hear you say it towed very well for you though.

Enjoy!!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #12

Congrats. Glad you like your new rig.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #13

Congrats and welcome to the club! At first I wasn't so sure about the new model but the more I see of it the more I like it. I am glad to hear your initial impressions are entirely positive and sounds like you are on your way with some great mods. I am almost starting to lean towards this over the IKSS if I ever upsize my DK but it would be a tough call. Right now I like the features I have but I am finding we are ending up with more and more people hanging out at the camp site and I can see the advantages of additional seating.

Keep us updated as you spend more time with it!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #14

Wired in the Apple TV yesterday, mounted with velcro inside the TV box, it is leaning inside the edge and you can't see it when the tv is "parked" ! I will post a pic, I use my phone to run it after I set it up on a wireless network, the remote for it runs it even while the tv is parked!

I also found this on Amazon, I am going to get one and try it, sure beats $468 bucks for the Furion, anyone know anything about this?

http://www.amazon.com/ATian-Wireless...op?ie=UTF8#Ask
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #15

I am not following on your apple install...can you give a pic?
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #16

I would give anything to have #7 in my Roo 21ss. It' basically the only thing I don't like about it. Probably my favourite feature is the ducted A/C.
thomsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456798536.701937.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	100784Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456798554.652884.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	100785

Ok, look slightly to the left and up from the red light, you can just see a tiny bit of the A/tv unit, now when I swing the tv out a little you can see how it is mounted, since there is a slight gap around the tv, the infrared remote works, but I use the app on my iPhone so I just have to be near it, you can run it from the back room with the phone, (i know why would you but it would work, the app must not be infrared)
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsonr View Post
I would give anything to have #7 in my Roo 21ss. It' basically the only thing I don't like about it. Probably my favourite feature is the ducted A/C.

Maybe a stuipid question? What is the #7 that you are referring to?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #19

Hey MiCamper6: See the top of the thread #7. One switch controls all the lights. In my 2010 Roo 21SS you have to turn all the lights on individually. It drives me nuts. In my old Starcraft 17RB had the same, one light switch at the door.
thomsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsonr View Post
Hey MiCamper6: See the top of the thread #7. One switch controls all the lights. In my 2010 Roo 21SS you have to turn all the lights on individually. It drives me nuts. In my old Starcraft 17RB had the same, one light switch at the door.
Oh, I see. Thanks. I looked at the 7th post and it doesn't refer to the control center and the lights. One concern I have in my soon to be delivered 233S is precisely that one flick of a light switch on the control center will turn a whole bunch of very bright LED lights while coming in from the dark! The best I can determine my lights don't have switches on the individual lights to be able to turn off individual lights.

Tags
shamrock, modifications