Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Shamrock19 - Solar Ready

Can anyone tell me the best size (amps & watts) Zamp solar panel system for my new Shamrock19. I am not sure if I have the single port or the 3 port setup. I am guessing it is the single port, so maybe the 150 watt, 10 amp system. Any help would be much appreciated
TomGray0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

This is a tough question to answer without knowing what you want to use in the trailer while using solar. If you could tell use what you will be using (tv, furnace, other electronics etc) then we could give you a better idea.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

You have the single port.

IMO the Zamp port is a gimmick, the prices are outraegous for the kits. Anytime a manufacturer installs part of a proprietary system like this, its usually some kind of overpriced gimmick. If you really want solar find someoe who is really into it and get their advice. Look at the cost on a cost per watt basis. Zamp is outrageous from what I have seen. The same as the bracket and wiring for the Furrion backup camera.

When you go to the Zamp website, and use the find a dealer function what comes back are RV dealers. That should tell you right away your going to get soaked.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #4

Solar Panel system - Sizing - Equipment

I just want to charge the battery and run the heater fan, lights, microwave, etc... I do not plan to run the A/C on the batteries.
TomGray0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 PM   #5

The Zamp system is pricey, but it's also convenient. Its a nice portable setup. Something in the range of 150 watts will keep your battery charged if just using the basics - water pump, lights, 12 volt charger for electronics. We started with a 100 panel, and wanted a little more output, so we have two 100 watt portable panels because we frequently camp in wooded areas and need to be able to move the panels to find sun.

There are a ton of variables - sun exposure, power usage, angle of the panels. If you're really into it, there are several good threads on here and blogs that give lots of detail. You can research solar systems in great detail and tailor a system to your exact needs.

But if you want a basic, easy to use system the Zamp is an option if you're OK with the cost. And for sure, consider a second battery if you don't already have one.

Edit: just saw your last post - forget the microwave. You'd need a ton of battery capacity a massive inverter for that.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Unless you put 4 golf cart batteries in a truck bed and a big inverter, you cant run a microwave.
You don't have the room for them in your Shammy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Agree with KMP44; very nice summary.

I am not familiar with all of the available Zamp systems, but I would be thinking 150 watts minimum. The panel capacity has improved since we got two panels for a total of about 180 watt capacity.

I found this tool helpful to calculate capacity requirements. Note the furnace use is the big capacity DC draw; maybe not an issue in your area but huge in the Great White North. The pump is only run occasionally as you will probably run out of holding tank capacity before the power usage is a monumental issue; my guess is the pump can use all of the available tank capacity in about an hour or two? Your fridge is propane, so don't fill in the 12 v fridge item. The AC loads are zero unless you install the highlighted inverter equipped system.

https://tools.carmanah.com/src.web/G...tm?state=RvDiv

Agree that an upgrade to two 6 volt golf cart batteries and LED bulbs for everything is an excellent idea, and should probably be considered part of the deal.

As a rough idea of required capacity, with 180 watts and two six volt batteries we never worried about power consumption when dry camping for up to four days.

Can't comment specifically on the Zamp portable systems, but understand the quality and convenience are very good, cost maybe not so much.

We have our Go Power panels permanently installed on the trailer roof (actually, this is the second unit they have been on; we moved them from our old trailer). This is a preferable set-up for us. Any more stuff to pack in the trailer interior was a non-starter. We are generally camping at dog shows in the middle of an open field though. As mentioned, the trade-off is less performance in shaded sites, but we can live with that minor limitation. Obviously not an issue at a powered site.

Permanent installation is not really that big a deal. Both times I had the work done by a mobile RV technician for about $500. Having watched the process I could easily do it myself, although my DW may not share my confidence. The Roo 233S was particularly easy as the main power equipment is conveniently located below the fridge, which is where the wires from the roof are routed. A permanently installed system of similar capacity may be cost competitive with the Zamp portable, so you may want to consider as an option?

We did not install an inverter, which is the required hardware if you want any 120 v AC plugs or appliances to work. If you really want this functionality a high capacity permanent system with professional installation and the mentioned large battery bank (four six volt golf cart batteries) is probably the way to go. I have since mounted this larger battery bank on our 233S, but not familiar with the available room on your unit. We are/were debating adding an inverter to our system, but for our usage it is really not a requirement. My wife has to run a generator periodically anyway to blow dry the dogs for the show ring, so we upgraded to higher capacity generation and may try it for any occasional microwave use.

The tagged Carmanah Go Power site has a good description of the various recommended systems (capacities and functionality) to get you up to speed. The Go Power products are widely available and good quality, although I am sure there are similar providers out there.

HTH

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #8

Zamp solar

I have a 19 foot Rockwood Roo, we outfitted with two 6 V batteries and a 1500W inverter, and we utilize a 200 watt Zamp system. Absolutely love it, and we can use everything except the AC. No problem using the microwave, coffee maker, TV, stereo, etc.
Got the Zamp system on sale direct from Zamp, and was upgraded to the 200W system since the 160 was out of stock. Definitely more expensive than what you can assemble yourself off of Amazon, but the quality of build and components is exceptional. The storage and carry case, made of ballistic material, is a great addition that you simply can't purchase when you try to piece together components. Further, it's a no-brainer, too easy to use system ready to plug-and-play the day it arrives.
We primarily dry camp, and the system keeps me fully loaded with very heavy usage. I highly recommend.
The techs at Zamp are terrific to work with and will help you properly size your panel needs based on your projected usage. Give them a call, they were most Helpful.
Don't forget, you get a 35% tax credit for everything you spend on your solar system for your trailer, since your trailer is technically a second home according to the IRS.
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #9

X2 on the Carmanah Go Power. This is what I am using. Started with 1145 watt panel and added 1 160 watt panel a year later. Then put in their converter and 2 AGM bats. Perfect!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

We have a 21 ss Roo. We love to boondock away from other campers. I bought a flexible 100 watt panel and glued it to the roof with silicone caulking. I did this on the last camper and ended up selling the panel with the camper, because It was too difficult to remove. I read this blog https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/ and if you slog through it, it tells you everything you need to know. Install heavy wires from the panel to a fuse box to then to the battery, and put in an oversize Morningstar charge controller and you can upgrade the system later if you think you need to. I have two standard 12v deep cycle batteries and bought LED replacement bulbs on eBay for less the $40. We can run everything but the AC and Microwave forever without outside power. The entire system cost less than $300. If we wanted to run the microwave, we could probably do short (5 min) runs (using an inverter) with our system, but I don’t really need it. We use sleeping bags at night because I hate the noise of the heater going on in the middle of the night. It is still dark when I wake up, and I’ll run the furnace for 30 minutes or so to warm the trailer in the morning. By the time my wife wakes up, the sun is up, and she can run the furnace as long as she wants. The battery is charged back up to 100% before noon. We have never run it down below 75%, and that will radically improve your battery life. One caveat: We live in New Mexico where the sun always shines. But I find that even with cloud cover for several days, the system works fine for us.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #11

I agree with mnoland30 that
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
is an excellent resource to start with. There's a lot of information, read it all and you'll know more than most anyone about solar and battery needs and uses.
Living and camping in the mid-Atlantic, it's very difficult to be in full sun with so many trees, and I am typically moving my solar panels at least once between morning and afternoon, with my trailer parked in full shade and my panels set up several feet away in the sun. That does not lend itself for a permanent installation, so I need the portability.
We camp primarily in state or national campgrounds, many of which don't have water and electric hook ups, so you need either the solar or a generator, and the solar is so much nicer and obviously never disturbs anyone.
You will find you are quite the hit in the campground with a nice solar system set up, lots of people stop by daily to discuss, always interested.
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock, solar