Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #1

Shower Door for Roo 23 IKSS

We just camped for the first time in our new Roo. The shower is, of course, a Navy type. There is water spilling all over and I can see rotting issues already.

Has anyone installed doors on one of these small showers? If so, where do I find the supplier? How about the "enlarged" shower rods that give extra room?

I'm also working on some jury rigging ideas, but want to hear feedback on doors, first.

Thanks,

Bob
mosesmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmcrae View Post
We just camped for the first time in our new Roo. The shower is, of course, a Navy type. There is water spilling all over and I can see rotting issues already.
The shower in the 23IKSS is standard in any RV of this class and it is possible to have a shower without water spillage. Some have installed Velcro on the curtain and walls, but I have never heard of any doors on these corner units. For one thing, they are smaller than household units so there likely won't be any to fit.

As for the curved curtains - I too would be interested but as far as I could tell there are few options for [small] corner showers.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #3

Here's what I did recently. I also plan to include a small piece of velcro on the shower curtain to attach it to the shower wall. We're heading out to a local campground in a few weeks for a long weekend, so I'll post then how it works out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2304375885.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	28367

Name:	image-3685397541.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	28368
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

Based on my experience, this mod should work quite well.

We "stick" the wetted curtain to the walls and nothing leaks past, that is why Velcro in maybe two spots on each edge should achieve the same result, and these corner splash guards would complete the deal.

Looking forward to your report.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Based on my experience, this mod should work quite well.

We "stick" the wetted curtain to the walls and nothing leaks past, that is why Velcro in maybe two spots on each edge should achieve the same result, and these corner splash guards would complete the deal.

Can you incorporate small magnets like hotels do? They use steel coated tubs but you could use chrome or brass coated steel base plates, screwed and sealed to the base. They sew the magnets into the curtain, you can attach many ways.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Can you incorporate small magnets like hotels do? They use steel coated tubs but you could use chrome or brass coated steel base plates, screwed and sealed to the base. They sew the magnets into the curtain, you can attach many ways.
I don't see why not. That too would be a neat solution, if a bit more expensive and "invasive".
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

On our previous camper we had a shower like that, and we used the velcro method with good results, along with installing two of the triangular plastic pieces at the corners with silicone in order to prevent water from getting around the edges of the curtain at the bottom. Those triangular plastic pieces have a little clamp that helps keep the bottom of the curtain in place. Get 'em at Lowe's. Traded the old camper, so don't have a photo. But this worked great.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
We are out camping as I write this... 97 degrees out, but the A/C is workin' away to keep us at a comfy 89 :-)

What I realized on this trip is that the plastic "water diverters" I placed at either end of the shower are working as expected, but I did not totally caulk/seal around where the base/tub meets the walls. I thought I read somewhere that it was purposely un-sealed to allow that area to dry.

Well.. Water is getting back there and running down and past where I put the plastic in. My next project will be to caulk that problem away.

I had industrial strength velcro from other projects, and tried to use it for securing the shower curtain to the wall while showering. The wall pieces are sticking fine, but the curtain pieces are not. I may need to sew them on.

Name:	image-3543065928.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	29087

Name:	image-3178019426.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	29088
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
Well.. Water is getting back there and running down and past where I put the plastic in. My next project will be to caulk that problem away.

I had industrial strength velcro from other projects, and tried to use it for securing the shower curtain to the wall while showering. The wall pieces are sticking fine, but the curtain pieces are not. I may need to sew them on
I sort of expected the Velcro stuck on to the curtain to not hold. Stitching it on is best. I think that once you caulk around the corner pieces the problem will indeed go away.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:

I sort of expected the Velcro stuck on to the curtain to not hold. Stitching it on is best.
Wishful thinking...
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Site Team

as to doors on showers that are in hybrids, never seen anything like that nor any mod like that. and that's after 7 years on various hybrid forums.

in fact, you have to go to a much bigger trailer or way more expensive trailer, to find that kind of thing. usually don't see that kind of thing until you go to a 5th wheel or motorhome.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #12

How to contact Manufacturer?

I've been on Forest River's website looking for a way to contact them with suggestions concerning the shower in the 23 IKSS and similar showers. I couldn't find a link for direct contact.

Does anyone have a link?

I think a standard "oversize" shower curtain rod as well as standard splash guards would be a great idea. At least offer them as options. I installed an oversized rod from Camping World. It is a three piece unit and the rings don't glide smoothly over it.

Some nice like colored full length splash guards(with spring clips)up both sides and, perhaps around the base would be great. A longer curtain would solve the base splash problem, but then you run the chance of standing on the curtain and tearing it away from the rod.

The finish on our shower is bumpy and it is difficult to get adhesive to stick to it.

Anyway, I'm going to attempt contact with Camco to suggest an aftermarket guard, too.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmcrae View Post
Anyway, I'm going to attempt contact with Camco to suggest an aftermarket guard, too.
there are already splash guards made that many use in corner showers. they're available at HD, Lowe's and other similar stores.

i know many 23SS owners have installed these in their showers.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #14

Are these the corner guards at the bottom? We already have those. I want something from top to bottom.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Resident Masshole

I've done a couple shower mods, including a flexible curtain track. You can check out my thread posted here.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #16

I bought one of those 3 ft long corner shields like in bikendan's pic, but haven't installed it. There are screw tops or something (can't recall; trailer's still in storage) sticking out exactly where you'd want the shield to go. I saw in another thread where a guy just screwed a piece of clear plastic (lucite?) to the outside of the shower and caulked it on the inside. I may end up with that.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #17

Have any luck yet?
I found out it wasn't the curtain where the water leaks out onto the floor. What I did was where the shower curtain ends at the bottom, I caulked a line on the top of the basin that channels the water back into the basin. I also level the Roo so the water doesn't run out along the top of the basin. It works. Let me know if you found anyone who makes doors for it and if the expandable curtain rod works. I haven't had much luck.
Jersey Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #18

Got some automotive panel retainers since my last posting. I had to cut the tops off, but then I could cut off the old fasteners, drill new holes farther to the right, and install the new retainers. Then I attached the splash guard. Only problem now is that the splash guard won't stay in place while towing. Seems the shower base and stall flex too much during travel. I didn't caulk it, so maybe that's what it needs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shower #1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	34322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower #2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	34323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower #4.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	34324  
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #19

Shower leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Copper View Post
Have any luck yet?
I found out it wasn't the curtain where the water leaks out onto the floor. What I did was where the shower curtain ends at the bottom, I caulked a line on the top of the basin that channels the water back into the basin. I also level the Roo so the water doesn't run out along the top of the basin. It works. Let me know if you found anyone who makes doors for it and if the expandable curtain rod works. I haven't had much luck.
The expandable rod I bought at Camping World was too small to give any extra elbow room. I bought the same size diameter aluminum tubing and cut, drilled and sprayed the longer lengths. I replaced the original sections from the CW model. It works fine now. All the fittings don't allow the rings to slide very easily, though.

I'm going to HD, Lowe's to find the longer white plastic splash guards. What I used is functional but ugly. I wish I had seen the ones from HDepot, first. We bought a curtain that was way too long and cut it to just a little too long. You don't want to trip/slip on that.