Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Shower drain

We have emptied our gray tank and black tank as well as all our low point drains but it still looks like water is standing in the shower drain. We can see down the shower drain bc the drain cover broke. The pin went down the drain- however the drain still drains water. This is only our second trip with our camper and we for sure don't want mold/mildew growing anywhere in our camper. (I'm highly allergic) Is it normal for water to be standing in shower drain? Anyone have suggestion? And on another note how do u go about cleaning your black water tank on regular trips? We really don't want a stinky bathroom.
DEBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

I believe this is normal...there is a p-trap in the shower drain as in the kitchen and bathroom sinks.
Just like in your home...without it the fumes or bad smells from the grey tanks would come in the rv.
As for your black tank...a good rinse with clean water should do the job just fine.
Hope this helps.
Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

That water you're seeing is what PREVENTS a stinky bathroom. There should be a P-trap in the drain, similar to what you can see under your kitchen sink. It goes down, then curves up, then back down again. The curve is designed to hold a little bit of water. This small amount of water is what keeps "sewer gas," i.e., the smell of your grey water tank, from coming up out of the drain. So I think you're OK. How to fish the pin out of the trap, though I'm not sure. You could try using a plumbers plunger on it to force the water through the trap. It might take the pin with it into the grey tank. If not, removing the water might at least let you see the pin and be able to pull it out with some mechanical fingers, like this:

Mechanical Fingers Pick Up Tool - CTA Manufacturing | FCP Euro

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
That water you're seeing is what PREVENTS a stinky bathroom. There should be a P-trap in the drain, similar to what you can see under your kitchen sink. It goes down, then curves up, then back down again. The curve is designed to hold a little bit of water. This small amount of water is what keeps "sewer gas," i.e., the smell of your grey water tank, from coming up out of the drain. So I think you're OK. How to fish the pin out of the trap, though I'm not sure. You could try using a plumbers plunger on it to force the water through the trap. It might take the pin with it into the grey tank. If not, removing the water might at least let you see the pin and be able to pull it out with some mechanical fingers, like this:

Mechanical Fingers Pick Up Tool - CTA Manufacturing | FCP Euro

Thank u all
DEBailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, show, shower