Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Slide lock bar for 2011 Roo 23RS

Looking at some old posts it seems lide lock bars are a bit controversial. I'm guessing that much of that is confusion that comes from different slide mechanisms where some don't need them and others can benefit.

I'm getting a brand new 2011 Roo 23RS (been sitting at the dealership for a while and they're cutting me a deal). It has a slide lock bar for the rear slide out bed. The first salesman said I didn't need to use it, but I wonder why they would put it in if we didn't need it.

I've read theories about it being useful to prevent the slider from sliding out while traveling and about helping it seal it at the top. But I wonder if it's to help save the slider motor and mechanism. The normal bounces during travel will want to shake the slider and if the only thing holding it "in" is the slide mechanism and motor, it seems like that is a lot of stress. It seems like it could rip the motor out of the mounts and such things. I've heard of people complaining about that problem, but I don't know if they ever traced it back to traveling without a lock bar.

Any thoughts on this? I think I'm going to use it (with big red ribbons and a sign hanging over the switch to prevent accidents) unless someone can tell me why it isn't useful.

cobrageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
In both the Roo that I previously owned and the current unit I have, I never used the slide locks. Figured if the slide was going to move, the facer board would pop before anything else and the slide would do its thing anyway. I've never had an issue with them. I've asked many friends and the dealer and all say they really aren't necessary. You can do a search here on the forum for that topic and I think you will see in most of the threads, that most don't use them.

Pull-Rite 16K Super 5th
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289WS
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
I don't use mine either for the same reason that the face board used to snug up the bar seems to flimsy to be of any real use.

I look at the bar in my box of trailer things at the beginning of each camping season and wonder if I should use it this year or not?

Haven't used it yet.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
I used mine a few times until my DW tightened it so much it popped the facer board loose. I just had to trim the brads & then reattached it with my brad nailer. Haven't used the slide lock since.
rbq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #5

Never use it, partly because I don't think it would really stop the slide vs popping off the trim board it's pressing against. But mostly because I think using it would cause more damage than not using it, as I'm sure either DW, DD, DS or, most likely, I would disregard the hanging warning sign and push out the slide with it in place!
2009 Roo 21RS
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ tow pkg
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
We use ours on our 25 RS mostly for peace of mind. That rear slide is a LONG slide. Our dealer told us it wasn't 100% necessary but if its an extra safety feature I will use it.
2013 Rockwood Roo 25RS
KKapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
I haven't taken delivery of the 23RS yet, but when I do I'll take a close look at the facer board. I was assuming there was some kind of reinforcement or plate attached to the frame there. But if not it does seem like the board would break long before it prevented the slider from moving. If it looks somewhere reasonable I'll probably use becuase as Kapa says, that bed slider is really long and has quite a lever-arm wheather it's all the way out or all the way in.
Thanks for the input on things to check.

cobrageek is offline   Reply With Quote