Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
rbq

Slide switch pulled out of wall-need to repair

My slide switch is on the wall just inside of my Roo. It is down right at kid level & so I put on a universal cover to keep them out. Only problem now is that the switch has pulled out of the wall. It is just screwed in the thin luan wall with oven right behind it. My problem is how do I get this to screw back into the wall. The hole is so close to the screws that they just pull out again. Thinking I may have to glue a strip of wood across the bottom & top inside the hole. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. If there is an adapter I could screw onto the wall & screw into it would be nice.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

Wood strip sound like a good idea. Otherwise, toggle bolts or wall anchors, like this one:

https://www.fmwfasteners.com/product...ij0hoCR0bw_wcB

Problem is finding some that hold on really thin luan. You may need to do both: wood behind, with an anchor bolt through.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #3

You can use what is called an " MP 1 data plate " you an get them at Home Depot, lowes or an electrical supply
Rangerdrvr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
My slide switch is on the wall just inside of my Roo. It is down right at kid level & so I put on a universal cover to keep them out. Only problem now is that the switch has pulled out of the wall. It is just screwed in the thin luan wall with oven right behind it. My problem is how do I get this to screw back into the wall. The hole is so close to the screws that they just pull out again. Thinking I may have to glue a strip of wood across the bottom & top inside the hole. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. If there is an adapter I could screw onto the wall & screw into it would be nice.
I used the 2 pieces of wood glued top and bottom on several switches.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
rbq

Thanks for the replies. I have one of the MP1 data plates. Problem is that the switch screws do not line up with anything on that plate. The 2 screw holes on the plate are made to fit the screw holes on an outlet cover. When the factory cut the hole for the switch they made it so that there was hardly anything above or beneath the hole for the screw to get a bite into, so it pulled out. I think I'm down to the glue wood strips option.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #6

I would personally use toggle bolts. I had a medicine cabinet come off the wall as the screws were driven into nothing-plywood.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #7

Toggle bolts are good but a pain to use because they need a large hole which may not be covered by the switch. I'd recommend metal star fasteners. These are the ones that use a bolt to spread the rear half of the housing into a star pattern behind the wall. They're made to fit different thicknesses of wall with the shortest one good for 1/8" walls. Once inserted, you can remove the bolt and the fastener stays in place.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

Phil

Very good point, yes, the star nuts have all the advantages of the toggle without the humongous hole.

Russ
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #9

They make MP 1 with wings on the top and bottom to grip the wall
Rangerdrvr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
rbq

Problem solved

Just to let you know what I did to fix my problems. I bought one of these, but didn't want to have cut larger hole & the this would just allow an outlet plate to screw on. Carlon 1-Gang Non-Metallic Low-Voltage Old-Work Bracket-SC100RR - The Home Depot
I unscrewd the wings that hold this in place & using the screws & wings screwed them on the slide out switch. Folded them down to get the switch back in place & then when tightened the screws it moved the wings into place so that they anchored the switch to the wall. Very happy with this solution.

Tags
led, repair, slide, switch