Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Slide won't close

We had a beautiful 3 day camping trip on the beach in Virginia. When we packed up to leave our slide wouldn't close. It didn't make any noise, was just dead. We checked fuses. Circuit breakers, everything we could think of, with no success. We also couldn't find where the hole is to manually close it. I called a local RV dealer that sells Roos and talked with the service dept. All he told me was to look under the the trailer near where the gas grill attaches. Nothing there. The called the out if state dealer we bought it from. Their service dept told us to look under the slide itself. Again nothing. Next call was Forest River in Indiana. Talked with 2 people, one specializes in the Roo. After answering several questions we were told to look in the front just behind the A frame for a harness that has a 30 amp fuse in it. Success, we found it. The fuse was not blown. Went and bought fuses. Tried replacing the fuse just in case something was wrong with it. No luck. Plus he told us that they changed the manufacture of the slide motor and while there is an over-ride to the slide there is no way to manually crank it in or out. The over-ride didn't work either. Next call to Coach net. Answered question gave info and was told all techs were busy and one would call back. 90 min later no call. Made 2nd call. Was told they were "really" busy and would get back to me. An hr later no word so called again. This time I got a lady that checked to see what was going on and found my info had not been passed on. So she took care of it. Within 30 min I had a call from a local mobile repair service that said he would be there in about 90 min.( We were on a military base so he had to go thru inspection and get a pass plus my husband had to meet him at the gate. Once he got there and checked things out he found a reset switch next to the 30 amp fuse we had changed out that was tripped. Once he reset it the slide worked. All of this for a reset switch that non of the service people, including the Forest River expert, ever mentioned. So if anyone had a slide that doesn't working check the 30ampfuse I front and the reset switch. It just may save you time and money.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #2

Any chance of taking a cpl pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Hostile2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #3

I have a ROO 23b, packing up today the slide would not retract. Motor wanted to work but didn't budge the slide. We manually retracted to get home. Please does anyone have suggestion(s)? Called local dealers so far no help other than bring in. It's like there is something maybe with teeth that is not catching?
:Allinarow
Livingthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
rbq

Three times now we have had our slide refuse to move when I hit the switch to bring it in. You could hear the clutch clicking. The first time I plugged in the tow cable to get power from the truck & it came in. Last two times we went to bring it in & did the same thing, but the additional power didn't make a difference. Since the motor was trying to work I had my son push on the outside of the slide. That's all it took & it came in both times. Since then I went to a local RV parts shop & bought a can of slide lubricant. Sprayed all parts that the slide mech moves on & what a difference it made. We have traveled on several gravel dirt roads recently & I think that it kind of gunked things up underneath. The slide lubricant seemed to really help.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Good info! Thanks for sharing!
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #6

If the slide fails, then how do you manually retract it?
Kyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoung View Post
If the slide fails, then how do you manually retract it?
You use a crank that should have been supplied.
We were shown how during our PDI.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You use a crank that should have been supplied.
We were shown how during our PDI.
She stated that (F/R) said the (2015 Roo) has NO manual override! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #9

My 23SS is a 2015 and it has a crank to close or open the slide if the fuse is blown and you didnt buy a spare...ask me how I know
Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
Old Fella

I found the crank by accident when I pulled the panel off the front of the couch. It was missed in our pdi. We had an incident when camped at McCormick's Creek State Park, we were ready to pull out and we weren't able to close the slide, immediately went on this forum did a search for slide wouldn't close and immediately pulled up a thread complete with photos showing the location of the fuse under the front of the camper and we were on our way. Needless to say we love this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide