Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Chris

Small Holes in Bunk Canvas

Hi All,

I took delivery of my new camper yesterday and noticed that it has several small holes in the canvas of the front bunk. I'm waiting to hear what the dealer and FR have to say about it but in the mean time I need to make sure no water comes in while we are camping. My wife was inside watching while I sprayed the bunk and water does come in so it needs attention. I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is though. Would just putting some silicone sealant on it be good enough or would the opening and closing of the bunk cause that to fail? We're planning on leaving on a trip in a couple of days so I thought I'd tap into the knowledge base of the forum for ideas. Thanks!

Small holes in the bottom aft of the front bunk canvas.

Outside closeup

Inside closeup
Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Looks to me like the soft sides got caught on something either during slide in or slide out.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Looks to me like the soft sides got caught on something either during slide in or slide out.
Ron
Could be Ron. Now I just need to decide what to do about it. I'm thinking tent seam sealer might be enough to take care of it. They're pretty small holes.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that there's any doubt that FR will have to replace the front bunk canvas...it's an obvious defect that was picked up on the PDI.

In the meanwhile, I'd put good, old duct tape inside and out to keep water out.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It will be interesting to see what your dealer comes up with. I personally would want the tent ends replaced. Don't let them talk you into anything less. I don't think sealer is a permanent fix in your situation.

A simple patch, sealer or even the duct tape idea would work for the rest of the season I should think. You will want to keep an eye on it though to make sure it doesn't cause any water damage.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I don't think that there's any doubt that FR will have to replace the front bunk canvas...it's an obvious defect that was picked up on the PDI.

In the meanwhile, I'd put good, old duct tape inside and out to keep water out.

Dave
Thanks for the input Dave. I do need to clarify what I've posted though. I reread my post and I wrote it as if I had discovered the holes on the PDI when in fact it was the next morning, after I had the camper at home and was spraying the canvas with water. We'll have to see what they say. I still haven't heard back from RV Direct but it's only been a day.

I did call TJ Snuggles, the manufacturer of the bunk canvas to ask what they recommend and was told to use Tear-Aid to cover the holes. Seems like a reasonable thing to do. My wife picked up some RV Goop at WalMart today so I may give that a try.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
It will be interesting to see what your dealer comes up with. I personally would want the tent ends replaced. Don't let them talk you into anything less. I don't think sealer is a permanent fix in your situation.

A simple patch, sealer or even the duct tape idea would work for the rest of the season I should think. You will want to keep an eye on it though to make sure it doesn't cause any water damage.
I agree it'll be interesting to hear what they have to say. I bought the camper through RV Direct and picked it up in Albany. Albany RV is a full-service dealership but it's 3 1/2 hours away from me. We'll see. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it to make sure that it doesn't develop into a bigger, water damage problem. In the mean time it's off to the Outer Banks!