Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

So far disappointed 2014 roo 233s

I don't know if it was dealer rushing me out and I missed things but-
Now I posted few weeks back about leaving rv store and going home or going camping and we went camping.
First it rained and all Materses and sheets ect got wet in back corners of beds enough where we had towels soaking up water. I could see water soaking thru the canvas and also running down support straps, now I have few water stains-then between canvas and screen I find paper saying treat canvas with water allowing it to swell hope that's all it is.
One of the back bed out latch the top hook to hold close on one just barely latches hopefully I can adjust it.
I know the grill is useless but when I took it out box it was all rusted all ready hopefully not moisture for inside camper?? Does not smell damp inside.
Door seems really hard to open and close don't know if it normal but I will try adjusting my wife and kids have a hard time opening and shutting.
Inside door trim bent from when it was installed.
My main concern is water leaks on ever bed-I hope I did not buy a pool on wheels or it was like paper said it needs to swell at needle points and stitching.
Other than that we had a blast and love the camper just some quality issues.
Thank for all your advice on last post
I will post some pics when I get to a real computer
Derekjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Take The Road Less Travld

it is unfortunate that most dealers do not take the time to really show a new owner all things about their trailer. Even when I got my second trailer which is now the 2013 233s, they took about 15-20 minutes with me showing me what they knew about the trailer. Quite frankly, I think I knew more that the person showing me the trailer. Most of the time, i pointed out issues they needed to fix before I was going to drive the thing off the lot. They said they were going to do a whole inspection before I picked it up and it's been back 5 times for things they should have found during the inspection since that day.

It's not just some dealers, and I say some because their are some really good ones out there who care. But places like fast food joints, car dealers that just don't give a damn but for the money. When I find a place with great customer service, I make sure it's known and tip well if applicable.

I was aware of needing to wet the canvas, but I had prior experience and what you describe here is normal. once it dries out, it will not leak again. make a list of issues and take it back to the dealer to get fixed. I really enjoy may camper, don't let these bumps get in the way of enjoying a really nice trailer.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #3

Each time will get better and better. You will look back at this as a learn learning experience. The canvass and the seams will need to be water proofed. Put everything out and open and let it dry really good when you get home. This is part of the nuance of having a hybrid. I went from a tent (many years ago) to a 'hard body'. One of my in-laws went from a tent to a large pop-up..... for years they said that they loved it (and they did), but it was a lot of work. Ten years ago, they bought a full hard body and said from day one that they wish that they never had bought the pop-up (lies, they loved it). You have a hybrid, which has a little of both worlds, for better or worse. Most swear for them and all will swear at them a time or two. But everybody will swear at their camper a time or two. Rest assured that it will get better each time out and you will be glad with you purchase.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Sorry about all your problems.
I've heard the same thing about the canvas needing "treated", and some people make a tarp type cover for their tent ends.
Sorry, I don't have any experiance with the canvas other than with shelter halfs.
Hopefully things will look up for you after this!!
Happy camping!!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

Thanks man I just walked by these travel trailers and think how they are not dealing with water issues. We were in between the tt and hybrid. We love the room and 3 separate big beds (not a fan of bunk beds). I am going to go home shortly and wet all canvas again leak them dry and fold away and then next week end I will do a full water leak test and hope for best
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The canvass and the seams will need to be water proofed.
The canvas seams do not need to be water proofed. Back in the day with tent, they needed water proofing every year but these high end hybrid canvases are naturally water proof. They just need to get wet once to shrink the seams to close them and everything will be fine. I went 7 years on my 2007 popup which I had to do the same thing in and never had a leak after "watering" it
Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
The canvas seams do not need to be water proofed. Back in the day with tent, they needed water proofing every year but these high end hybrid canvases are naturally water proof. They just need to get wet once to shrink the seams to close them and everything will be fine.

Thank you for the reminder. I understand that very much, but as a old timer who naturally did this (water proof canvas), it is hard to let it sink in.

As for the OP, this then should be considered a 'good thing' of a little rain to get your hybrid broke in on the first outing and the issues will decrease substantially as time goes on.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Site Team

well, your dealer should have told you about "seasoning" the canvas ends.
same thing goes for new popups.
your dealer is who you should be disappointed in. especially with the rusted grill.

most hybrid owners are former popup owners and know that this has to be done before going out camping, especially if it's going to rain.

and modern vinylized canvas does NOT have to be waterproofed.
old style canvas, from 40 years ago, had to be waterproofed.

as far as the door goes, i hope you aren't using the jacks/stabilizers to level the trailer. that's not what they are for and using them for that, can bend the frame enough to make door hard to open/close.
or the striker plate needs adjusting.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
I went 7 years on my 2007 popup which I had to do the same thing in and never had a leak after "watering" it
Quote:
Thank you for the reminder. I understand that very much, but as a old timer who naturally did this (water proof canvas), it is hard to let it sink in.

I went 20 years on my popup with no leaks. (And we got rid of it 6 years ago.) So it's been at least 26 years (and I know it's more) since the popup/hybrid canvas needed to be "sealed." And I thought I was an old-timer :-)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post

As for the OP, this then should be considered a 'good thing' of a little rain to get your hybrid broke in on the first outing and the issues will decrease substantially as time goes on.

No problem, I asked about Otto 8 years ago. As a regular tent camper, I always sealed my tents. Wasn't trying to be mean, I'm sure it never hurts to seal it if that's what makes you feel better just saying you technically don't have to anymore.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #11

When we got our 233S in last month I wetted the ends (dealer never mention it during pdi but read it on the forum). Our camper didn't leak. BUT there is a big difference between wetting the ends w/ a hose and being in a down pour for the first time.
I think I will re-wet the ends this weekend. Just to make sure.
I hope all goes well w/ your camper. Hopefully you are good to go.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #12

You wanna talk about old time?: I just decommissioned my 1967 Nimrod Crown Rivera pop up earlier this year (which my parents bought brand new). We took that thing everywhere when I was a kid, and I remember sealing that canvas with a Thompson's water seal type of product (it might have even been Thompson's) at least 3 times over the life of that camper. That thing never leaked. We stopped using it once we bought the Salem (actually a few years before that,) and I stripped it down to the steel body. It's been re-commissioned as a utility trailer. Some things are just too good to get rid of!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekjpapa View Post
I don't know if it was dealer rushing me out and I missed things but-
Now I posted few weeks back about leaving rv store and going home or going camping and we went camping.
First it rained and all Materses and sheets ect got wet in back corners of beds enough where we had towels soaking up water. I could see water soaking thru the canvas and also running down support straps, now I have few water stains-then between canvas and screen I find paper saying treat canvas with water allowing it to swell hope that's all it is.
One of the back bed out latch the top hook to hold close on one just barely latches hopefully I can adjust it.
I know the grill is useless but when I took it out box it was all rusted all ready hopefully not moisture for inside camper?? Does not smell damp inside.
Door seems really hard to open and close don't know if it normal but I will try adjusting my wife and kids have a hard time opening and shutting.
Inside door trim bent from when it was installed.
My main concern is water leaks on ever bed-I hope I did not buy a pool on wheels or it was like paper said it needs to swell at needle points and stitching.
Other than that we had a blast and love the camper just some quality issues.
Thank for all your advice on last post
I will post some pics when I get to a real computer
Sorry to hear you had some issues. A few of them should be fairly easy. I would bet if you took the grill back still in the box, they just give you a new one at n/c. And for the door closing hard and issues with the trim, make a list for the dealer and they should take care of it. After our first season, we dropped ours off in the fall (dealer service departments don't seem to be real quick, especially in the summer) with 12 small items. It was a week and half later, but they took care of everything under warranty. One issue still needs another re-work, but overall, the issues were pretty minor and they did a nice job of fixing things that really should have been done better at the factory.

The wet bunks may be just from needing to season the threads in the canvas. But - was it cold out when you were camping? One thing we found real quick in going from a popup to a hybrid is that when you are running the furnace, you get A LOT of condensation on the inside of the canvas. It looks like a leak - especially if its raining outside, but the warm air on the inside of the camper hits the cold canvas and you have water drops. Air flow helps reduce it, or popup gizmos will pretty well eliminate the problem.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
You wanna talk about old time?: I just decommissioned my 1967 Nimrod Crown Rivera pop up earlier this year (which my parents bought brand new). We took that thing everywhere when I was a kid, and I remember sealing that canvas with a Thompson's water seal type of product (it might have even been Thompson's) at least 3 times over the life of that camper. That thing never leaked. We stopped using it once we bought the Salem (actually a few years before that,) and I stripped it down to the steel body. It's been re-commissioned as a utility trailer. Some things are just too good to get rid of!
"They don't make'm like they used to!!"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #15

I had a hybrid once for 3 months. It leaked all the time. The best thing I did was trade for a TT.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
I had a hybrid once for 3 months. It leaked all the time. The best thing I did was trade for a TT.
i've had my hybrid for over 7 years and it's never leaked.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #17

well I got in the driveway opened it back up and wet all beds-let it dry, closed it back up and will do it again this weekend then I will soak the hell out of it and let you guys know.
Thanks for help
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
The wet bunks may be just from needing to season the threads in the canvas. But - was it cold out when you were camping? One thing we found real quick in going from a popup to a hybrid is that when you are running the furnace, you get A LOT of condensation on the inside of the canvas. It looks like a leak - especially if its raining outside, but the warm air on the inside of the camper hits the cold canvas and you have water drops. Air flow helps reduce it, or popup gizmos will pretty well eliminate the problem.
Made that mistake on Friday night....too many beers before bed and just crawled into the warm bed. We had down pours on Friday night and had to run the furnace due to the drop in temp. Forgot to crack the vent open and woke up to water on the inside of every bed. Sigh. Maybe fault. Was a quyick clean up with a towel.

Not a single leak in our in the year we have had it and we have been through some fairly heavy rain.
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 233, 233s, roo