Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #1

Soft spots in flooring

I have a 2007 21ss Roo, I have some soft spots physically appearing on the floor, from the stove to the refer, NO water leaking going on. Anybody have any thoughts on this. and how long is the warranty on the flooring on this unit?
carmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine View Post
I have a 2007 21ss Roo, I have some soft spots physically appearing on the floor, from the stove to the refer, NO water leaking going on. Anybody have any thoughts on this. and how long is the warranty on the flooring on this unit?
Well, you're probably out of your warranty & grace period.
I'm guessing (educated) that the soft spots are starting right where 2 pieces of underlayment are coming together. I've tried floor leveling compound to solve this, it doesn't work - no flexibility. Ended up replacing the floor. It might be a major repair, but try removing the linoleum, liquid nailing down some 1/4" underlayment, and installing new vinyl over the top. When you install the new subfloor, make sure you don't put the joints over the existing joints.

Scenario two: your lamination glue is letting go. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Your floor structure is gradually breaking down. The camper will last a very long time, you'll just have a bit of a squishy floor.

Scenario three: double check your frame cross members. Add more, if necessary.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Site Team

i found a missing crossmember on my '07 Roo 23SS. FR gets the frames pre-built and someone must have missed mine when FR received it.
anyway, had the local dealer order one from FR and they welded it on under warranty.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #4

Add Some Shims Between the Floor & Cross Members (?)

Maybe this might help…

The floor in our ’08 Rockwood Roo felt kinda spongy, even when it was new. I noticed that the cross supports of the frame below didn’t actually make contact with the floor. I added shims between the floor and cross braces to stiffening things up a bit. Shim thickness ranged from 1/8” to 1/4” and were bought from Home Depot.
Leaf-Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #5

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, My dealer suggested contacting forest river for some extra cross members, and that shimming looks like an idea. Thank's again. Happy Camping to all...
carmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #6

Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf-Peeper View Post
Maybe this might help…

The floor in our ’08 Rockwood Roo felt kinda spongy, even when it was new. I noticed that the cross supports of the frame below didn’t actually make contact with the floor. I added shims between the floor and cross braces to stiffening things up a bit. Shim thickness ranged from 1/8” to 1/4” and were bought from Home Depot.
I have the same problem. What are the shims made of?
Fireman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman2 View Post
I have the same problem. What are the shims made of?
Made from aluminum...
Leaf-Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo