Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #1

Some questions from a newby

Spent this past weekend packing our 21SS. I added some shelves in the hanging area and really like them. I came across some questions while doing everything.

1. Did you do anything to try and make sure the ends to the sewer hose storage stay put during travel? Just driving home from RVW I noticed they had moved some.

2. Does the cover for the propane tanks stay on pretty good? I noticed there were a couple of tabs on the bottom with holes in them so wondered if people use a bungie or something to help it stay.

3. On my popup, I put a 1/4 turn valve on the fresh water tank. Did anybody do something like that on their Roo or are you just using the cap they gave you?

I think that is all for now. I got the propane tanks filled last night at Costco. Much cheaper than the price RVW wanted to do it.
grege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Team

1. are you talking about putting the sewer hose in the rear bumper and keeping the bumper caps in? or is there a new hose storage area on the 21SS?
2. my tank cover is plastic and has no tabs with holes. it stays on simply by being tight around the tanks.
3. not exactly sure what you're talking about. are you talking about the FW drain or somewhere along the intake line?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
1. are you talking about putting the sewer hose in the rear bumper and keeping the bumper caps in? or is there a new hose storage area on the 21SS?
2. my tank cover is plastic and has no tabs with holes. it stays on simply by being tight around the tanks.
3. not exactly sure what you're talking about. are you talking about the FW drain or somewhere along the intake line?

1. Yes I'm talking about the caps on the bumper storage.

3. Yes talking about the fresh water drain. In my popup I would always drain it after camping and you had to use a wrench to take it off so I replaced it with a 1/4 turn valve to make dumping the water easier.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post

1. Yes I'm talking about the caps on the bumper storage.

3. Yes talking about the fresh water drain. In my popup I would always drain it after camping and you had to use a wrench to take it off so I replaced it with a 1/4 turn valve to make dumping the water easier.
Do you have a spare tire and hanger on the rear bumper?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Spent this past weekend packing our 21SS. I added some shelves in the hanging area and really like them. I came across some questions while doing everything.

1. Did you do anything to try and make sure the ends to the sewer hose storage stay put during travel? Just driving home from RVW I noticed they had moved some.

2. Does the cover for the propane tanks stay on pretty good? I noticed there were a couple of tabs on the bottom with holes in them so wondered if people use a bungie or something to help it stay.

3. On my popup, I put a 1/4 turn valve on the fresh water tank. Did anybody do something like that on their Roo or are you just using the cap they gave you?

I think that is all for now. I got the propane tanks filled last night at Costco. Much cheaper than the price RVW wanted to do it.
1: I drilled a hole through the bumper and the cap very near the edge and slid a cotter pin in to keep from loosing the hose.

2. My tank cover has tabs to but it fits tight and have not had any issues.

3. 1/4 turn valves are the way to go. May need to find some adapters to make it work. I believe they are 1/2 pipe thread fittings.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Greg,
Good questions and my answers are in red below:

Quote:

I store my hose in my square trailer bumper and the rubber caps will fly off if not secured. I just drilled holes in the two rubber caps and secure it with a 1/4" bolt to the bumper. My bumper already had holes at the end so not hard to do.

Mine stay on without any additional lock or cable. You can spread out your propane tanks slightly to make it a tighter fit by adjusting the piece that connects the two tanks and holds them down during transit.

I assume you are referring to the two low point drains located near the HWH. These have screw tops and some people replace them with valves but I don't really see the need.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
daydreaming about camping

1. Unless your bumper is flexing, the end caps should stay on. However it not hard to drills hols in them and secure them with a small bolt, zip tie or pin.

2. My cover came with a small black bungee cord to secure it with those two tabs. Our past trailer did not have the bungee, cover came off first trip. You can pick up a small bungee at most any store these days, but wally world is always a good bet. depending on how often your cover comes off, you could just use small nylon rope.

3. great idea to add a valve to the drain if you use your often. when cold I have a devil of time removing the screw cap on mine.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Do you have a spare tire and hanger on the rear bumper?
Yes I do
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #9

So just drilling the top and inserting a bolt or pin should keep it in?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So just drilling the top and inserting a bolt or pin should keep it in?
Yes, my bolts do it just fine. I had started out securing the bolts with a nut but found its not necessary. Cotter pin is probably a bit faster.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Yes I do
Spare tire bouncing while going down the road is flexing bumper allowing caps to wiggle out.
It helped mine to move the spare towards one frame rail to reduce flexing of said bumper. But In reality I took it off and mounted spare under trailer.
Bumper flex was gone.

Imo spare tires should not be on these lightweight trailer bumpers.

Drilling and bolting end caps is NOT fixing the problem rather its just a band aid.

Turbs
Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I think he's just wanting to keep his caps on, Ron. I agree that the flex is caused by the spare, but moving the tire is a bit more than most people want to do if they just want the caps to stay secure

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

On I-95 yesterday I saw a 20 foot section of red sewer hose on the side of the road. Bumper storage has it's downside.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
On I-95 yesterday I saw a 20 foot section of red sewer hose on the side of the road. Bumper storage has it's downside.
is it about time to post the pics of the bumper ripped off?

To the OP - the above posts have pointed out that you have a problem you never knew you had (your bumper is flexing from the weight of the spare tire); how to correctly cure that problem (more the spare tire); what will happen eventually if you do not move the spare tire (bumper damage); and finally what most people do instead of move the spare tire (put some kind of pin in the rubber bumper end caps.)

That folks is what they call human nature.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Yes, my bolts do it just fine. I had started out securing the bolts with a nut but found its not necessary. Cotter pin is probably a bit faster.

Your bolt must go all the way through then. Originally I was thinking maybe just a hole in the top but didn't know if the bottom could still slip out and then the screw or pin would do nothing to stop it from falling.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I think he's just wanting to keep his caps on, Ron. I agree that the flex is caused by the spare, but moving the tire is a bit more than most people want to do if they just want the caps to stay secure
Yes I understand his issues .
And realize the scope for some people .

Was just throwing out the .
Cause
Effect
And solution

Imo of course!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Site Team

I bought hatch covers for the bumper ends. They have little doors on them for access.

My '07 23SS has a FW drain valve that was stock. At some, it was no longer standard and was replaced by a simple cap.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #18

My rubber caps have never become lose, actually, it's a pain in the butt to take them off they're in there so well. Also, my hose barely fits into the bumper.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
My rubber caps have never become lose, actually, it's a pain in the butt to take them off they're in there so well. Also, my hose barely fits into the bumper.
Which hose do you use? I have the RhinoFLEX but haven't tried to put it in there yet.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #20

I have the Camco Revolution, but I'm certain that's not what it was called when I bought it. The adapters are a tight fit in the bumper.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote