Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Some thoughts on the 2012 23SS

Last year we traded in our 5 year old Shamrock 19 for a 2012 model 23SS. The 19 has been all over the US northeast and eastern Canada, and at the end of 2010 we did a 9000 mile trip across Canada and returned through the US. We are really happy with the extra room in the 23SS, especially when we take the grand children camping, but there are a few annoying things, such as :-

1 The 90 degree opening door. Is there a rule that the hinges have to be on the right? The door blocks the view from inside the trailer and is in the way especially with canopy up. If it opened the other way it would be flat against the trailer and totally out of the way.

2 You can't install an add-a-room. The side wall of an add-a-room has to be 8 or 9 inches from the edge of the canopy, but on the 23SS the door is only about 3 inches from the edge of the canopy. I can't see any reason why the canopy could not be 6 inches closer to the front of the trailer. I also realize now that there was the same problem on the old 19.

3 There are no lights above the kitchen counter. (I put in strips of LED lights)

4 The table for the U-shaped dinette. It is not long enough for the usual folding legs so Forest River came up with a mechanism which requires you to put your foot on the bottom part and pull the table up. The fourth time I opened the table, the bottom part came away from the legs note to Forest River designers press fit nuts should not be used in tension, they will come out eventually! I took the table to my dealer and they welded the bottom parts on and repainted them.

5 The way the entertainment system is wired. The shelf for the TV is to the left of the door (from inside the trailer) below the entertainment system and there is only a video jack on the panel which means that when you play a DVD, the left channel comes from the speaker above the dinette on the right of the door, and the right channel comes from the speaker over the far right of the dinette! I replaced the single jack panel with red/white/yellow 3 jack panel, took the stereo unit out and connected the audio outputs to the new panel.

6 The wardrobe. The brackets holding the rod to hang the clothes are not strong enough. The first time we travelled with clothes on the rod one of the brackets broke dumping the clothes to the bottom of the wardrobe. I replaced the rod with one that had metal brackets and put a wooden support at the centre.

I haven't seen a new 23SS this year so I don't know if any of these problems have been fixed.

We will be on the road again after Easter with another long trip, this time to Chicago, then following the old Route 66 to Los Angeles, then the Pacific Coast Highway to Seattle, and home through Washington, Montana, the Dakotas, Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. We will be taking side trips to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite and Yellowstone along the way.

Robin and Gloria Vinson
Montreal, Canada
2010 Ford F150 XTR 4X4 Supercrew
2012 Shamrock 23SS Hybrid

47leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
That's a great list and I wish we had a Roo/Shamrock rep on this board like some of the other lines. Since we're also (early) 2012 23SS owners, I'd like to chime in with a couple of things.

1 - I am going to guess that the door is hinged on the right to prevent it from being ripped off if anyone ever forgets to latch it when they drive off.

2 - I totally agree with the lack of kitchen lighting. The LEDs are on my list, I just haven't found ones I like, yet.

3 - The table is also very wobbly.

4 - At least you had stereo, mine was wired so that the two speakers over the dinette were right channel for zones A and B, which would be fine if there were left channel speakers over the couch.

5 - I'm really annoyed by the blank spot below the entertainment center that SHOULD have a drawer, or maybe a shelf for a satellite receiver. I plan on making a drawer.

6 - I'll have to keep an eye on the rod. We have one of those hanging organizers on the left side and haven't had a problem, yet.

7 - The small door that opens upward on the rear, outside storage is a pain. Its been replaced with a larger, side opening door in the late 2012s. I'm going to see what my dealer will charge to replace it.

8 - Our water heater has a weird problem. The propane side fires up without a problem when we first set up, but later that night or the next day it refuses to re-light. It goes through the ignition cycles but it either doesn't light at all or it goes BOOM! Either way, its done for the trip and we have to switch to electric.

9 - The awning got moldy/mildewy FAST! Shouldn't it be treated?

Despite all that, which really isn't much, we absolutely love it and are grinning like the butcher's dog every time we take her out!

Drew & Kendra
Lucky & Bentley the camping dogs
2011 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/tow pkg.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Great list Robin (and you too, Drew)!

Sounds like you take some really epic trips with your hybrids and I look forward to seeing the pics.

with your new trailer.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

23ss, expandable, hybrid, shamrock