Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Sorry for all the questions

Sorry to ask so many questions! Once we get the hang of things I promise they will stop. We have 3 small dogs that we take with us camping. ( They love it just as much as we do!!! True story!) Anyway, my question is this, our dogs just scratch the door to tell us when they need to go out, have any of you done a modification to protect your screens from getting holes in them from the scratches of your dogs? We have checked at Lowes for plexiglass but it was pretty expensive. Do you have any suggestions for something different or do you think we are just going to have to bite the bullet and get the plexiglass? Thank you for your help!
kellieh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

Bite the Bullet! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Just A Member

Find a local plastic shop in your area. Measure your opening and have a local shop cut to your dimensions. I paid $24 which in my opinion is way cheaper than replacing the screen. The bottom part of our screen door opening actually had a flange to accept a piece of plexi.

Cheers!

Days Camped 2012: 80
Days Camped 2013: 101
Days Camped 2014: 115
marc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

We really didn't want to use Plexiglas because we wanted the ventilation from the screen

We had this installed on our camper before we pulled off the lot. One of our dog scratches at the door to let them out. We figured without it, the screen door would not survive a half day. Plus, it keeps them from trying to go through the screen when they see a Squirrel

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43981-Al...een+door+grill.

Camco makes it so every RV dealer can get it. Pretty easy to self install as well
Old 11-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

We have a small dog too that loves to jump at the door. I think this was the first mod I did. I bought the plexiglass sheet at Lowes and the little tool to cut it to size. It was really easy to cut and it just pops into the groove on either side of the bottom of the screen door. They had a few different thicknesses of plexiglass, and I went with a thicker piece (not the thickest stuff, but also not the thinnest). Some adhesive backed Velcro keeps it secure.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

We had the local glass shop supply and cut the Plexiglas to size. I didn't know how to cut it myself. I think the cut piece was about $70. The black smoked stuff works well as the dogs are not as bothered when the door is open and folks walk by. Thickness selected to fit in the groove on the door. We also attached some self adhesive rubber gasket material to the top edge to keep the inside surface of the Plexiglas clean. Great little mod. Can't think of a better material to use. Had the same mod on our previous camper, and put it on the new one before our first trip.

HTH
Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

They have something that's referred to as dog screening down here.. It's a lot thicker and doesn't tear as easy... Just re screen your door...

I have in my pool enclosure and I have 3 pretty big Rotts that scratch the door all the time( actually bend the door..lol) going on 3yrs no damage..
Old 11-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I went to Menards and bought new screening that is called pet proof. Our dogs went through the standard screen in a day or two. With the new screen there isn't hole in it yet. As a matter in fact my daughter put that in her patio door and their Rottweiler is bouncing off of it.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #9

The pet-proof screen works great! We have had it both in our old RV screen door and our home patio door with good success.
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #10

Be careful with dogs in your hybrid. Ours are big, so it's probably more of an issue. One slipped off the end of the bed and almost fell out of the trailer in the middle of the night. I also witnessed 2 dogs going right through the tent ends. Again bigger dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Maris
2010 Shamrock 23SS
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #11

Here's the stuff I used for the door. It came in a 2'x4' sheet and I used the little tool shown to cut it roughly in half. The sheet was $27 at Lowes. If you can draw a line with a ruler, you can cut this stuff. Using a ruler, just run the tool across the plexiglass a few times to score the material and then bend the sheet and it will snap at the score mark. Then peel the protective coating off both sides.
Couldn't be easier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415451047.360029.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	921.6 KB
ID:	66020

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

I used a sheet of plastic that looks like cardboard. Cut it to fit the dimensions of the window on the screen door and put into the window tracks on the screen door. No glue. It is flexible enough to bend to slide in. Our dogs are small but have a reputation with screen doors. No more issues now.

Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #13

Try training your dogs. They will be happier and so will you.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #14

I guess I'm unlucky. Mine jumps in my lap, does this crazy dance, and howls when she needs to go out. That's ok except she weighs 75 lbs.

2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote