Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Stabilizing Jacks-replacement

Hi all.....So, I was trying to be helpful on our last camping trip because my DH was injured. I was putting down the stabilizing jacks and I bent one!! Now I need to find a new scissor jack. A quick look on Camping World shows me there are several options....any opinions on brands? None are overly expensive, so cost doesnt really plan into this. I just dont want to buy junk! Oh, and Im not set on purchasing through Camping World. I just looked there 1st. TIA
Smileyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

IMO, the brand isn't as important as the weight rating. I had to replace one on my unit so I bought a pair and replaced both fronts. The ones I got were rated at twice the weight of the stock ones. Much thicker steel.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #3

look at etrailer dot com for replacement

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

Using a rattle gun?

I'm curious how one can bend a stabilizer (no stabilizing jacks on my Roo, just stabilizers). Procedure is to hand crank them down until they touch and then another half turn. There is some nice sprayable lithium grease that makes cranking them child's work,

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 AM   #5

I bent mine going up a steep hill to a site after dark. Replaced with ones from Harbor Freight. Cheap and easy. It was in my old trailer and they were great for the time I had it, at least.
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

You can't much cheaper than the ones that come from the factory. I have swapped all of mine to BAL. Standard thickness for a jack is supposed to be over two inches, but mine from the factory were under two inches. I went to install the JT's Strong arm stabilizers right after purchasing the TT and discovered my factory jacks were garbage.

I love the JT's, and now each of the BAL jacks are rated at my gross weight. It's nice knowing I won't ruin these jacks with my impact wrench.
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #7

I bent one of the rears in a dip heading out of a camp last year. Ended up replacing both rears with a pair from Harbor Freight. I keep putting off replacing the front ones. IMO, any brand you get will be better than the OEMs. They are just cheap.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #8

If you're bending the stabilizers you're putting too much pressure on them. They're only there to stop some of the wiggle, not make the trailer as solid as your "double wide" on concrete blocks.

-- Chuck
Old 09-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyshel View Post
Hi all.....So, I was trying to be helpful on our last camping trip because my DH was injured. I was putting down the stabilizing jacks and I bent one!! Now I need to find a new scissor jack. A quick look on Camping World shows me there are several options....any opinions on brands? None are overly expensive, so cost doesnt really plan into this. I just dont want to buy junk! Oh, and Im not set on purchasing through Camping World. I just looked there 1st. TIA

I bent one of mine, too. Did some shopping at various dealerships and online. I believe the best deal available was on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are rated at 5000 pounds each, and even though I only needed one, I figure it won't hurt to have a spare for the next time a cheap OEM jack gets bent. Plus, I got an extra cranks handle and a socket for my drill!

Good luck!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #10

Light weight stabilizers (note how I avoid the term stabilizer jacks) are lightweight to protect the trailer frame from bending. I know lots of folks who will put a larger fuse if the proper one keeps blowing or substitute a steel rod for a shear pin on an outboard propeller. Sometime they get away with it. These are there to protect the system. The lightweight stabilizers are lightweight for the same reason. Hopefully they will fail before you cause permanent damage to the trailer frame.

I cringe when I see folks using rattle guns or drills to lower the stabilizers in lightweight framed trailers like the Roo hybrids and popups. The stabilizers are only meant to touch the ground. Breaking a stabilizer is the least of the damage you can cause the trailer when you bend the frame putting too much pressure on the stabilizers.

-- Chuck
Old 09-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #11
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I believe the best deal available was on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are rated at 5000 pounds each,
Nope! Harbor Fright (pun intended) has them at $35 bucks each, also 5k rated.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-...ack-96406.html
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Nope! Harbor Fright (pun intended) has them at $35 bucks each, also 5k rated.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-...ack-96406.html
Amazon link is two for $55 (or $27.50 each), HF is $35 each.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, replacement