Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #1

Stabilizing strap for curt 13703 hitch with bikes

I have a 2017 rockwood roo 233s hybrid, and I’m installing the curt 13703 adjustable hitch to carry bikes on the back. The instructions for the hitch say that stabilizing straps are required to stabilize the load of bike by strapping them to a higher spot on the back of the trailer. The 233s is a hybrid so the entire back side is a bed. Any suggestions on where I would anchor these stabilizer straps to? Here’s a link to the hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Hitch/Curt/13703.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-L_-k9LX5AIVkI3ICh3VqwfUEAUYASABEgITiPD_BwE
233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
Site Team

I've never seen anyone find a way to use such straps on a hybrid. If you attach them to the bunk doors, you risk bending the door frames.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:44 AM   #3

Even with a solid wall on the rear end, you'd have to find a stud or support in the wall to anchor to and even then I'm not sure what the stress of bouncing bikes would do. I agree with Dan that the straps would probably ruin the bunk end.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

If it were me, I'd put an aluminum U-channel or 2x4 inside the trailer and bolt through it and the outside wall with a couple of eye bolts. Spreading the load across the width of the trailer would make it much stronger. I'd use nylon straps that will stretch a little to lessen the impact load.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:02 AM   #5

If you are going to use one of those "hang my bike on this rack" type of bike racks that you see on smaller cars, then YES you are going to need a strap. THis type of bike rack is NOT very popular with trailers. The fact that the bikes are out-of-sight and bouncing wildly from a single attachment point on the bike frame, and they are NOT strapped down causes a problem. Perhaps you have seen that rack type bouncing down the hiway on the back of a trailer? or maybe not. Many threads on here that talk about running over bike frame pieces laying on the hiways from failed bike racks on the back of trailers. If it were a larger trailer with a ladder attached you would be better off.

I think I solved this problem for a single bike with a rack I designed from 2" aluminum tube that supports the bike wheels. It looks like an up-side-down T, with the bottom of the T supporting the wheels. Perpendicular to the T bottom is another tube inserted into the hitch. This rack design only sticks out from the rear bumper about 6-7 inches so it is not hanging out very far. A friend of mine welded it up for me and I have been using it since the spring of '14 without an issue. Because I support the bike from under the wheels bouncing is all but eliminated. I'm sorry I don't have a picture and it is dark outside right now. I can get one tomorrow.

I just bought a roof rack for my car so I can carry my bike on the car roof rack when I am not going camping with the trailer. I suspect this rack might be able to be attached to a receiver then inserted into the hitch you are installing. This would better support a single bike. Some people have used a hitch mounted tray to transport their bikes. Best suited for kid's bikes.Some have opted for above the propane tank racks. You have to find something that you are comfortable with to do this job.

Three pictures attached are:Yakima Freeloader rack ( for use on roof racks) and second is the hitch mounted basket from Harbor Freight. Third is front mounted two bike rack. Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer-Mounted Bike Rack Carrier for A-Frame Trailers - 2"-100 lbs etrailer dot com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack02.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	215270   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack03.png
Views:	73
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	215271   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack04.png
Views:	92
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	215272  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
If it were me, I'd put an aluminum U-channel or 2x4 inside the trailer and bolt through it and the outside wall with a couple of eye bolts. Spreading the load across the width of the trailer would make it much stronger. I'd use nylon straps that will stretch a little to lessen the impact load.
The OP has a Hybrid TT that has the fold down bunk ends. The stress on the bunk from the straps could be enough to damage the bunk frame.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #7

Thank you all for the feedback. Always get great info on this forum!
233s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, hitch