Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
Bring some wood

Agree with the others. BUT - make sure you take a sample of the wood you plan on using so they can test it. It won't do any good to have stain mixed if you can't see it on the type of wood you are using. Different woods will give different looks when stained.

NCBBA11043 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
color match

I do this quite often since I do a lot of remodel work for folks who want to add a cabinet etc to their existing cabinetry in their homes. I have also done the same in our 5th wheel. All the post offer good ideas for you. Her is a thought though, take a drawer front or cabinet door off your coach and bring it to a professional cabinet maker and ask them what kind of wood it is and what would they recommend as a substitute or perhaps where to get what you have. Next take the substitute or a piece of raw wood that you have to a professional paint store and ask them to match the stain from your drawer of door front. The big box stores are OK but sometimes they really don't know a lot about what they are doing, they mean well but you get what you pay for. A professional paint store will probably not cost you too much more but you will be happier. Also the stain is one thing but consider to what "clear coat" you want after the stain dries. Polyurethane, Lacquer, Varnish all have slightly different characteristics especially in the sheen you request. Our 5th wheel cabinets are all Satin which is real common in the cabinet industry, so I am guessing here yours are probably Satin. Polyurethane is probably a good bet. I prefer Lacquer sprayed on. Don't bother asking Forest River for the stain color they won't give it to you. I asked, and they would not. Post a pic of your modification when your done, would love to see it. Good luck.

tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
Thanks for all of the great ideas! I hate the big box stores, and avoid them when possible. All of these panels are for cubby holes and so there is the combination of poor lighting and the fact that they will likely be full of STUFF most of the time. That gives me the advantage of not needing to have a perfect match, and it still passing the DW test

Only the existing door/drawer fronts have actual stained wood, and no, it is definitely NOT actual cherry. All of the plywood panels, as well as the framing, have a vinyl on them to give them the look and color. Gotta love stickers, at least maybe it might make the surfaces a tad more waterproof

I consider RVs from the current industry to be somewhat like the erector or lego kits. They give you something to start with, without having to work from scratch, but they are just that... a start.

I am taking some pics along the way and will make a post in the modification forum when I get things closer to finished.
dragon-roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #14
Color match on FR 2010 255DS GTS

I contacted my RV dealer who is also a FR rep about the same thing because when I had a roof leak I needed to re-do some of the cabinet fronts to match. I decided to move the TV location
I went with MINWAX, wiping stain from Lowes , classic cherry for the match to the inside of the cabinet and then ordered through my dealer the seam tape for the fronts.
NOTE: his comment for the color FS calls cherry! This is like a contact paper that self sticks. Maybe you can get it through your dealer also. I'm still waiting on it to come in.

Howards RV center, Wilmington NC.
Hello,Forest River still has a seam tape that they say is considered cherry. it is called "Sienna Apple", and is sold in 4 sizes, all by the linear foot:
48" @ $10.00/foot
6" @ $2.00/foot
3" @ $1.20/foot
1" @ $0.50/foot

this is the overlay paper we use here to cover marks, hide seams, et cetera.
Lewis96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
Cherry Stain Match, Sherwin-Williams

Sherwin-Williams Classic Cherry oil stain is the closest I've found for stain match on Birch ply.

GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
Senior Member - Retired
Sherwin Williams Custon Mixed Dark Cherry Stain

In California we cannot purchase the Sherwin-Williams Classic Cherry Oil Stain. We can only purchase water based stains. I took a drawer from our MH along with a project piece I am working on and had Sherwin Williams custom mix a matching stain starting with a can of Minwax untinted base. The retail stores near me cannot custom mix stain so I had to go to one of their large wholesale facilities. I have attached a photo of the label. While I suspect the dark cherry finish varies significantly from one FR product to another, what I had mixed up may at least be a starting point for those of you with the dark cherry cabinets, especially in the Georgetown line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry Stain.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	103777  
John & Gloria Hunsaker FROG Member CA-0030-988
2014 Georgetown XL 334QS (class A with 4 slides)
2013 Smart Car TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #17
Can't figure out cherry stain, too???

I called local Sherwin Williams here in LA no luck as CA Fisherman said. I read on the forum it was real cherry and took a drawer along with a piece of cherry to a local paint store. They couldn't match it on the cherry as it wouldn't absorb. But if the wood is ash or oak, that makes a big difference.
Going to Rockler Woodworker supplies today to see about their stains. If it's ash, then I may be able to pickup a piece there and get a good match.
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2015 Camping 3 trips 6 nights
2016 Camping 9 trips 28 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #18
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
I'm adding the storage areas that FR just closes off with a vanity panel.
I added two drawers for storage where FR had used vanity panels(link below is that post),...
I removed the panels and cut to size, then pasted them onto the drawer fronts to keep the same color/look, ...that may be worth considering...........

making wasted space usable
2015 Micro Lite 25KS
2015 F150 CrewCab
days camped: (2014....207) (2015....140) (2016....37, so far)
fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:05 PM   #19
Think I've got it now!

Went to Rockler Woodworker store. They knew exactly what it takes to achieve the Cherry stain look. She took the Cherry piece I brought for testing and grabbed a Cherry water based stain and applied. Said it was too red. Then grabbed a brown stained and layered it on the cherry stain. Almost perfect match. So the stains needed to be layered not mixed!
2004 Winnebago Minnie 22e(went to a nice family Oct 3, 2015)
2016 Forester 2701DS (Aug 31, 2015)
2015 Camping 3 trips 6 nights
2016 Camping 9 trips 28 nights
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #20
When I built a bed rail for the upper bunk, I used MinWax American Chestnut with a little bit of a red from one of those little samples mixed in. It looks absolutely perfect and like it came with the trailer. I just painted some book shelves (Ikea spice racks) for the side of the kids bed and used only the American Chestnut, and it really is a close enough match for me!

2010 Rockwood Roo 23RS
2015 F150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5l EcoBoost. Used to tow with 2006 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.4l V8. The EcoBoost is so much better!
DirtSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote