Old 03-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Stain match for 'cherry' cabinets?

I'm adding the storage areas that FR just closes off with a vanity panel. I was going to get some cherry veneer 1/4" ply to somewhat match the factory cabinets but my only local supplier wants $$$. So I am now thinking to use birch veneer and just stain it to match. Does anyone know of a stain color that is close?

Thanks in advance... dragon-roo

Old 03-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

The cabinets are probably poplar or birch plywood stained a "Cherry" color anyway. Personally a wood go to a home improvement store and find a Minwax stain for about $10 or less that looks close and experiment on some scrap. ours are dark even a mahogany could be close. I use that to touch up small areas but as whole cabinet you might want to play more with .

Good Luck !

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #3

If you can remove a small door and take it with you when you go to Home Depot to help match the stain color. Be advised any color stain will look different when applied to different kinds of wood so experimentation is key to a good match.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
If you can remove a small door and take it with you when you go to Home Depot to help match the stain color. Be advised any color stain will look different when applied to different kinds of wood so experimentation is key to a good match.
As a painter, I have to agree with the above.....Try to get the stain as close as possible to the color needed. When applying,..... the time you'll leave it on will determine how dark you want it.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Well don't I feel like an idiot... I already have some panels that I removed that I can just take with me! I'm not so picky that I need an exact match, and these pieces are for places like above the refrigerator where I removed the panel so that I can add a storage cubby, so it's not like there is good lighting there or anything.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

I plan on some projects too, let us know the brand and color match you get. Maybe FR has the info for you. Thanks
Old 03-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Step 1 do NOT use Cherry Wood, the "Cherry Doors" in/on Most F/R units are Ash or Oak Stained a ??? Color! But it is NOT Natural Cherry Old or New! The Stain Spray used on the Doors is a Guarded Secret,like others have said Wood type and stain color will produce Very different results! Youroo!!
Old 03-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
I'm adding the storage areas that FR just closes off with a vanity panel. I was going to get some cherry veneer 1/4" ply to somewhat match the factory cabinets but my only local supplier wants $$$. So I am now thinking to use birch veneer and just stain it to match. Does anyone know of a stain color that is close?

Thanks in advance... dragon-roo
Lowe's and Home Depot carry cherry stain. What I would do is go to a paint Store with one of the drawers and have them mix stain to match.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
TGR

Both ash and oak grain patters look very different than cherry and would be obviously different next to cherry woodwork, regardless of the color match.

Maple's grain patterns look a lot like cherry. When stained, maple can be a good substitute for cherry. If cherry isn't available then try maple.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

Back home (Canada) therei s a company who can take a sample piece of "antique" furniture and match the stain to the wood you are using...Check your yellow pages....J

Tags
cabinets