Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #1

Starting to lose our enthusiasm...

We picked up our new Roo 233S about 6 weeks ago and were very excited about moving up from a very nice pop-up which we had outgrown. My wife and I had done quite a bit of research about floorplans, amenities and finish and found the perfect one we wanted about 2-3 hours away. It had just arrived and no one had walked through it yet before we put a deposit on it. The salesman was very prompt in providing pictures and information, so we were very happy with how things were shaping up.

The day we brought it home we noticed a chip on the small countertop by the dinette. Not a big deal. Then within a couple of days I noticed the small LED light where the power cord plugged in quit working. Again, not a big deal. A couple of messages to the dealer and a phone call or two and parts were on order.

About a week later or so my wife noticed a bubble in the paint on the burner pan on the stove. That bubble quickly became a nice size chip. A few pictures, a few email messages, and a few unanswered calls combined with unanswered emails led me to finally talk to another lady in service at the dealer who assured me a work order was generated. All minor issues that were in the process of being addressed. Certainly nothing that would keep us from enjoying our new Roo.

We took our first camping trip this past weekend, and the weather was actually kind of chilly. No problem....we have heated matresses, several blankets and a ceramic heater as well as a very effective furnace. Unfortunately after the furnace ran for a few minutes it began to make a hell of a racket. We made do, and a few calls which resulted in the dealer setting up a service appointment with a more local dealer (all of this stuff has been covered in previous posts...sorry to be redundent). We were still very hapy with the Roo despite having had a bit of water seep through the tenting during about 15 hours of light/moderate rain. Guess I didn't do an adequate job seasoning the tenting.

All sound like fairly easy to fix issues; certainly nothing that would keep us from enjoying our new camper, right? While checking that everything inside the camper was in order while parking it at the storage place this afternoon I noticed the weatherstrip around the rear slide-out window was partially hanging loose and that there was a noticeable scratch on the window frame. Looking towards the outside wallI saw that a sheet metal screw holding the slide out seal had scratched and damaged the window. Looking further, it is obvious the slide-out was much closer to the rear of the opening than the front. This is a different animal....potentially water can get into the wall and damage it. So much for being able to go camping while awaiting parts, and maybe dressing a little warmer.

Needless to say we are beyond disappointed and rather upset. We'll see what the dealer as to say tomorrow as I sent pictures and requested a phone call. We expected a couple of issues, and I have fixed a few not listed above, but it is getting beyond reasonable I think.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #2

Good luck with the dealer and if you have to go beyond that if & when you contact Forest River keep your calm as many here have said it does seem to work best that way. We all know with a new unit you are excited to use it so remain calm with your dealer also you will get thru this, and ask here for advice from the folks that have already dealt with issues.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #3

Starting to lose our enthusiasm...

Here is a picture of the window. Clearly the weatherstrip is pulled away.

I appreciate the advice, but I have no desire to get into an angry confrontation with the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462276232284.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	106775  
Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #4

Two PUPS, a hybrid and two TTs later, I can say none are perfect. Don't sweat the small stuff. How handy are you? All shake, rattle and roll as you go down the road and will need a regular "eye" and once over. Like dblr said, keep your temper in check when you deal with the service folks at either the dlr or FR. Remember all dealers want to keep customers, that's why they are there... ie mine spent 8 weeks in the shop in the first season over 3 visits
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

I completely understand nothing is perfect. I have been pulling wrenches for over 30 years and part of my job includes rebuilding Catepillar automatic transmissions that weigh almost as much as a standard car, so I am very handy. I had no issues fixing the various issues that cropped up initially. What I lack at this point is parts, not a big deal until I ran into an issue that precludes us using the camper. What I also lack is time, which is at a huge premium since my Dad suffered a stroke less than a month ago. This unit could serve to be a huge distraction for us in a positive way at a time like this. However at this time it is becoming an albatross for us.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
Director, FROG

MICamper6, I'm sorry to hear about the issues that you've encountered with your new ROO. It sounds as if your dealer is working diligently to assist you in getting the problems resolved. In fact, it's encouraging to hear that a local dealer, from whom you didn't purchase the unit, is working with you to make the process more convenient for you.

I urge you to continue to let the dealer work to correct the issues, which sounds like your plan. However should you need further assistance, please feel free to contact Roger Beiler in Service and Warranty at the Rockwood plant. You can reach Roger at:

Roger Beiler
Phone: (574) 642-8931
Fax: (574) 970-6881
Email: rbeiler@forestriverinc.com

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

Thank you for the contact info. I will keep it in mind.

I am content to let the dealer continue to work with me to resolve these issues. However, I would prefer to get this thing in and get all the issues resolved at once, in a timely manner if possible. The dealer has for the most part been very good with the exception of no response to the burner pan issue. This shotgun approach isn't the best way to get this thing fixed IMHO.

BTW....I would have no problems fixing these problems myself, with the exception of the problem with the slide. However there are warranty concerns at play here.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

What sort of racket was your furnace making? When they are new they tend to burn off some things and make some popping noises from expansion as well as setting off fire alarms in my experience. I had to run mine for a bit with the windows open before it calmed down.

Maybe you are talking about a completely different type of noise though.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Glad to hear the dealer is working with you. Often they take the "you did not buy it from me so goodluck" approach. Many dealers also seem to be swamped with repairs so I had found that if I could fix it I did.. Forget the warranty. I had the stuff fixed for a few bucks but it was done. Some of the things, like the slide, I am with you. Let the dealer deal with it but expect it to take a while.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Good luck with the dealer and if you have to go beyond that if & when you contact Forest River keep your calm as many here have said it does seem to work best that way. We all know with a new unit you are excited to use it so remain calm with your dealer also you will get thru this, and ask here for advice from the folks that have already dealt with issues.
I am still in the process of working out warranty issues with my dealer. Keeping your cool with the dealer is good advice. They have taken care of two major issues and several minor ones so far. I did have to change service advisors and am now working with the department manager. Communication is important. Having someone you feel is working to address your issues is a must.
Good luck to you

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
What sort of racket was your furnace making? When they are new they tend to burn off some things and make some popping noises from expansion as well as setting off fire alarms in my experience. I had to run mine for a bit with the windows open before it calmed down.

Maybe you are talking about a completely different type of noise though.
It is almost certainly the fan blade hitting the housing.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Glad to hear the dealer is working with you. Often they take the "you did not buy it from me so goodluck" approach. Many dealers also seem to be swamped with repairs so I had found that if I could fix it I did.. Forget the warranty. I had the stuff fixed for a few bucks but it was done. Some of the things, like the slide, I am with you. Let the dealer deal with it but expect it to take a while.
If the dealer had agreed to send me a furnace I would have happily swapped it out. However I was advised that I might void the warranty if I messed with it. Other than the slide everything else was minor/cosmetic and very easily done (that was the plan). The slide issue with the window thoroughly disgusted me last night. Hopefully it isn't a sign if things to come. It also majes the camper unusable unless I can shive the weatherstrip back in and caulk it so it doesn't leak water and also damage the finish.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #13

You're finding out that campers are crap.

My experience is they are all cheaply made and poorly serviced. If you decide to keep your camper, learn to fix it because dealers are awful and manufacturers (like Forest River) are worthless.
rpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatterson View Post
My experience is they are all cheaply made and poorly serviced. If you decide to keep your camper, learn to fix it because dealers are awful and manufacturers (like Forest River) are worthless.
Clearly, I can fix it given the parts and irrespective of the warranty.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatterson View Post
X2 ......Your work will be much better done.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #16

During the PDI the AC cooled the unit enough to run the furnace but it was 80 out so not for long. 1st night it blew 2 fuses 750 miles from home ~ 700 from my dealer so I called Atwood the manufacturer. Atwood sent a rep ~ I paid $50 service all. Problem fixed. Some times the dealer does not need to be the middle guy.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #17

The person who I had been in contact with at the dealer called me earlier today and contacted the service department at the (more) local dealer who was scheduled to look at my furnace issue, in order to have them look at my slide out problem while it is there. The service department at the dealer we bought the unit from has been very cooperative and has worked to help us take care of the problems we have had, with the exception of geting a replacement burner pan for the range top. We sent pictures and several email messages and made several calls with no response from her. Another lady in service verified that there was a work order started , but that was the last we had heard until I was told she needs further information to process the warranty claim. Obviously service at the dealer we made the purchase from had dropped the ball on this one.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #18

MiCamper6 sounds like you found a good dealer where your work is being done now glad to hear that. The info FROG Bob is good to keep on hand for a contact point. I know with our Cedar Creek I have been able to contact them when parts are needed some times at cost and sometimes not but still great to be able to get help from the factory, hope your division will be just as helpful if needed.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #19

How disappointing. No matter how good the service you are getting now is, I totally understand the disappointment of buying something brand new and expecting it to be perfect and to not have any issues. Hopefully they get it all fixed up better than new and this will all become a distant memory as you make new memories in your Roo.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #20

We understand that there would be issues with a new unit, and are so far satisfied with the response of the service department at our dealer. Until this last event the problems we have seen didn't preclude us from using the Roo. We would be more than happy to have service at the dealer we are taking it to for repairs repairing it in a timely manner and in such a way so we can use it until the replacement parts (window) comes in. We can't ask for much more in these circumstances.