Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #1

Steep driveway, tough leveling ?

Does anyone have any suggestions for leveling out the camper in the driveway ? It's on an incline so we need to level it while we driveway camp. It's tough with the tongue jack fully extended and feels unstable even with the stabs down. Any ideas ? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399338736.430266.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	51785

Even like that it's barely acceptable.
RabidRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

Never tried it so I am not sure how well it might work but a pair of 2X12" under the front tires/axles? It won't alter the need for the stack in front but it would help put load on the rear/middle rather than transferring to the front jack.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

Do you have X-chocks installed?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

I think you're courting disaster to driveway camp with the tongue that high. I'd hunt somewhere else to park.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Do you have X-chocks installed?
First thing I do when I get my TT where it will be sitting is put my X-Chocks in place - BOTH sides! I also have a slope to my driveway and use a concrete block and a piece of 1-by for the foot of the tongue jack. While not totally extended, it's close. I also use concrete blocks under the front stab jacks so they aren't so extended.
If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll try to get a picture.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #6

Our driveway also has an incline. We can't move it anywhere else in the yard seeing we live in an HOA and I'm lucking they don't complain with it being parked in the driveway overnight.
We do the same as you stack up blocks for the tongue. Put chocks under all 4 wheels and place put stabilizer jacks down. I don't use the x-chocks because like I said it not staying in the driveway but a night.
So far we haven't had any issues. But don't have many options.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishCamper View Post
Our driveway also has an incline. We can't move it anywhere else in the yard seeing we live in an HOA and I'm lucking they don't complain with it being parked in the driveway overnight.
We do the same as you stack up blocks for the tongue. Put chocks under all 4 wheels and place put stabilizer jacks down. I don't use the x-chocks because like I said it not staying in the driveway but a night.
So far we haven't had any issues. But don't have many options.
it can't roll if only staying for 1 night?
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

This is my understanding of x-chock which is why I don't use them while the camper is in my driveway for 1 night.
They are to keep the trailer from moving around as much while you are walking around inside. They are not designed to keep a trailer from rolling downhill.
Video I watched on YouTube shows how easy a camper rolls with them in place.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishCamper View Post
...Video I watched on YouTube shows how easy a camper rolls with them in place.
Do you have the website on that YouTube Video? I would love to see a trailer with 4 wheels locked roll with them in place if they are tightened properly.

I can't even move the trailer with my truck with them engaged. Use them for hitch checking.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #10

Was hoping someone makes a tripod like thing with a lift in it to put the ball coupler on and raise it to an acceptable level and kinda increase stability at the s same time. Kinda like those fifth wheel king ping stabilizer tripods but with a lift built in ?? Probably just a pipe dream ?
RabidRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRoo View Post
Was hoping someone makes a tripod like thing with a lift in it to put the ball coupler on and raise it to an acceptable level and kinda increase stability at the s same time. Kinda like those fifth wheel king ping stabilizer tripods but with a lift built in ?? Probably just a pipe dream ?
Might try one of them and cut it down for your use.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRoo View Post
Looking at the photo, I'd weld up a pyramid shape similar to the Andersen ultimate connection that the post of your tongue jack could be pinned into. Check with local welding shops, they could possibly make one fairly reasonably. As for stability, X chocks plus regular ones.

Here's the Andersen hitch for reference.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

As I previously posted I also park on an incline, x-chock my tires and use cinder blocks under the tongue jack and the stabilizers. I did it for 5 years with my Roo 23SS and now with my Flagstaff.

Below is a picture of the front of the Flagstaff with a spring bar from my Equal-I-zer leaning under the coupler. The coupler comes right about to my hip - and I'm 6'1""

I just make sure it is well chocked and well supported.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
...I just make sure it is well chocked and well supported.
Sorry to say, but the cinder blocks should be rolled over 90° and a block of wood laid on the top. Holes should be up.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #15

Boy, I don't know about the latest post. Looks like a lot of weight will be on the front stabs and the tongue jack is extended out a long way. Those stabs are not made to support weight only to "stabilize" the trailer. The tongue jack already has a good bit of weight on it now it will have added stress from the angle of the trailer. I wouldn't do it. If you do, you and the wife most definitely won't be able to "wrestle"!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #16

The further extended your stab jacks are, the more they'll wiggle. As several others have mentioned, and the pics with the blocks show, shortening up how far out the front jacks have to be, will help.
Another nit picker here commenting on the cinder blocks in the pic being turned the way they are. Stack them like they would be in a wall. They have almost no strength laying on their sides, even over the web. Who knows how long you can get by?? When one does go, it won't give any warning.
I would make sure and chock the trailer wheels regardless of how long you plan to be there, when the truck is unhooked. Especially when the jacks are stretched way out, and things are wobbly.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #17

Chock it really good! Turn the cinder blocks over with 2×8 on top. Shim the bottom of the block so its level ( maybe a piece of 1 ×) block up the tongue jack as you go. Level the blocks at the base! Good ta go then. Kinda what I do! Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399467065317.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	51896  
Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #18

My driveway is also inclined challenged and my concern is that looking at the way the tires on each axle compress differently there is more load on the rear axle and the frame is spanning from the jack to the wheels. I am not sure these frames are design to perform in this manner.

I was considering making ramps to drive the trailer wheel up and on to a level platform. The problem that I have not resolved is that hitch will be so high in the air that I will not be able to disconnect the w/d hitch.

Anyone ever had to to do this?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #19

They are built very light. Which sometimes could mean weak. They are called STABILIZERS not JACKS! You would have to ask FR. My guess is they don't have the strength to hold the wheels off the ground for any length of time. Somebody here has tried it. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forest River Forums mobile app
Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwicker View Post
They are built very light. Which sometimes could mean weak. They are called STABILIZERS not JACKS! You would have to ask FR. My guess is they don't have the strength to hold the wheels off the ground for any length of time.
I don't even use the stabilizers in my driveway. I am more concerned about the frame bending than the stabilizers.

Tags
leveling