Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Stereo speaker inside stopped working

2013 23SS
Genesis Stereo
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1406515660.694731.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	710.5 KB
ID:	59125

Out camping now. In the middle of a song one of the inside speakers stopped working. Not in a position to tinker with it too much. I'm assuming a wire disconnected.

Don't know if this helps ... On the Stereo itself the speaker button A does not activate any speakers. Button B operates inside speakers (but only one products sound now). Button C operates outside speakers - both produce sound

Any ideas? Ideas on where to start or how to trouble shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

On my 233, a and b are my left and right indoor speakers and c is the outside. Don't have the Roo here to tell you which is left or right. Sorry.
mch2smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

On my 233 a is the one above the coach b is the one in kitchen area and c is outside
jenmpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

Mine are also the same as above on my 23IKSS. However, I need to crank up the volume to get my outside speaker to hear.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #5

Yeah you really have to crank up the volume for the outside speakers
jenmpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

On my Roo 19, A operates the street side speaker and B operates the curbside speaker. C operates the outside speakers. I don't seem to have to crank up the volume for the outside ones, as some above have said.

It's always struck me odd that you would have separate switches for the two inside speakers. If it's "stereo," why wouldn't you just have an indoor switch and an outdoor switch? Are the two outside switches really "stereo," or are there just two speakers? If they're stereo, then the C switch would be switching both the left and right channels on or off simultaneously, while the A and B switches would just be switching one channel each. Weird.

But to your question, I would suspect a loose wire. Other folks have reported loose speaker wires.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
On my Roo 19, A operates the street side speaker and B operates the curbside speaker. C operates the outside speakers. I don't seem to have to crank up the volume for the outside ones, as some above have said.

It's always struck me odd that you would have separate switches for the two inside speakers. If it's "stereo," why wouldn't you just have an indoor switch and an outdoor switch? Are the two outside switches really "stereo," or are there just two speakers? If they're stereo, then the C switch would be switching both the left and right channels on or off simultaneously, while the A and B switches would just be switching one channel each. Weird.

But to your question, I would suspect a loose wire. Other folks have reported loose speaker wires.

Thanks. Any idea on which end is most likely the culprit? I'm guess/ hoping speaker.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #8

After bringing my 233S in for service, the C speakers stopped working. Which is weird, as there was nothing involving the entertainment system in this service stop. (Also notice the cables from the TV had been unplugged as well...)

How hard is it to pull the entertainment system to check the connections?

-t
the8re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8re View Post
How hard is it to pull the entertainment system to check the connections?

-t
Its easy. With the genesis as pictured in post #1 above, there are two plastic pieces on the left and right side that cover the screws. You gently use a bladed screw driver to pop them out; revealing the screws. I believe the screws are a Robertson (square) head, but its been a few years and they may have just been Phillips.

(Someone to help and hold the radio would be good in this next step). Pull the radio out of the cabinet to check the wires on the back. You might also be able to check the wires connecting to the speakers through that opening (depending where the speakers are for your model and year).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks. Any idea on which end is most likely the culprit? I'm guess/ hoping speaker.
No clue. I'd try Triguy's suggestion on removal of the radio. Seems like the logical place to start.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I bought a couple of small bookshelf speaker and hooked them up to right and left on "A" and took the two existing interior speaker and hooked them up to right and left on "B". It made a world of difference for $40!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #12

Stereo speaker inside stopped working

Just a follow up. Traced the wires from the speakers. No broken connections. Pulled the stereo unit and moving the wires the speaker came back on. Obviously a poor connection in behind the stereo. Problem is I cant find the loose connection. I got it working and know where the issue is at least. I'll keep fiddling with it but that's where the issue is ...

Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #13

It's usually the crappy crimps they use. Follow the wire from the back of the stereo yo the clear insulated crimp they use to attach to the speaker wires. Just pull the two wire ends. This is 90% the failure point. I have had at least 8 of these go bad including the ones for my awning. Check there.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
It's usually the crappy crimps they use. Follow the wire from the back of the stereo yo the clear insulated crimp they use to attach to the speaker wires. Just pull the two wire ends. This is 90% the failure point. I have had at least 8 of these go bad including the ones for my awning. Check there.

Thank you for that advise. I will do

Old 08-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #15

+1 on Chibulls suggestion.
If you have a multimeter...you can also check for breaks in the wire elsewhere by setting it to OHMS and clipping to the speaker end of the wire and any other part of the wire. Infinity or 1 on the readout means there is a break between the 2 points and anything less (close to 0) is indicative of a good wire.
Here's an example of continuity testing on two terminals...the equivalent of two ends of a wire.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote