Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #1

sticky stereo

Hey all, I have a 2010 Roo 21ss. The faceplate on the stereo has a sticky residue. I'm guessing the plastic cover is deteriorating. Any ideas on cleaning it off?
madbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and for the sticky some goof off will work but check small area to make sure it doesn't damage the plastic. Happy trails
Old 04-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

I would try dish soap and water on a rag. Not too much so you don't ruin the electronics. But I'd probably start with either windex and perhaps some armor-all vehicle wipes to help prevent any further damage. Good Luck!
jerry.cambrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

Also with electronics rubbing alcohol works well and doesn't ruin electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #5

Soooooo... What solution did you find? My faceplate is also sticky, and I believe it is due to degradation of the rubbery finish. I had some OmniSat speakers for home that had the same kind of finish and we were never able to figure out how to treat them. I have a little coffee frother that seems to be following suit. I masked the button and painted it. Seems good now. Am considering paint for my ZX700 faceplate but would like to hear if someone actually found a good solution.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th
FreeWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Sticky Faceplate on Concertone ZX700

Glad I didn't wait for a reply. I was unable to find anything (solvents, Goo Gone, etc) that would remove the sticky, and I don't believe that is possible since I think it is the rubbery surface that is degrading. What I did was disassemble the bezel and faceplate from the guts of the radio unit, and I spray painted it with paint formulated for plastic parts. I am pretty happy with the results.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5th
FreeWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #7

found solution to fix sticky stereo

Hello, I found it... I almost was ready to to what freewheeler did and paint it, but in the cabinet next to the stereo was sunblock spray 30 sfp aerosol can and I figured why not... It worked like a charm. My stereo is shinny not sticky at all. Looks like new with little effort. I did the bezel first then pulled the fuse and did the stereo. sprayed it on and used a paper towel to polish. I don't know if it cleaned it or added oil to it but a week later and it is perfect! Happy Camping!
needwindex is offline   Reply With Quote