Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Here is the link to the company who makes the battery locks.B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.
No offense, I like mine better, cheaper and locks both batteries with one lock.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Both batteries are in ABS boxes and the second picture is of the center rod going thru the bottom of the metal tray the boxes sit on. The padlock is a std Master padlock inserted in a hole drilled in the 1/2" rod that is welded to the 1/2" sq. rod "T" It is just a "T" made of 1/2" sq rod with a pc of 1/2" threaded rod with a hole for the padlock welded to the end and stuck thru' the bottom, nut & padlock installed.

Thanks Dunnnc
I do understand it better now & believe I have the general concept. I think what gave me the impression that the ABS box was metal was the "T" in the first picture.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
rbq

No offense taken. Yours works for you as your batteries must be set up to run side by side instead of end to end as mine are. I admire your ability to build something like that. I don't weld so don't have that talent to help me make something. I was trying to think what I could do to build something, but the prebuilt locks ended up being convenient for me & could provide the security that I needed at the time. When you've been hit once I didn't want to provide them with the opportunity again with another night of unlocked batteries.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #14
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
No offense, I like mine better, cheaper and locks both batteries with one lock.
Even if it's cold-rolled, I don't believe half-inch square is rigid enough to prevent someone "beefy" from bending both ends upward slightly, rotating ninety degrees, and off come the covers. Remember, you have an annealed point at your weld spot.

I suspect you'll only keep the wimps from getting your batteries.

Maybe 1/2" x 1" would be more effective?

Of course, it's just a "deterrent", and anyone who really wants them will get them.

Maybe you'll just get them to move to the next trailer that hasn't any protection at all.

Objective reached, mission accomplished!

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
No offense taken. Yours works for you as your batteries must be set up to run side by side instead of end to end as mine are. I admire your ability to build something like that. I don't weld so don't have that talent to help me make something. I was trying to think what I could do to build something, but the prebuilt locks ended up being convenient for me & could provide the security that I needed at the time. When you've been hit once I didn't want to provide them with the opportunity again with another night of unlocked batteries.
I understand the need to get something quick. "Get me once, shame on you, get me twice, shame on me."
Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
both ends upward slightly, rotating ninety degrees, and off come the covers. Remember, you have an annealed point at your weld spot.
Not easy to get under it to bend the ends up and it had to be bent up over 1-1/2" and it was too long to rotate as it hit the propane tanks also padlocked. I agree if someone wants them bad enough they'll get the regardless. Even with the store bought ones, a bolt cutter solves the padlock problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Here is the link to the company who makes the battery locks.B & D RV Battery Lock For RV travel trailers and popup campers.

Man, $25ea. Seems kinda high to me, but as long as it does what it's intended to do, cheaper than having to shell out for 2 new batteries.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #18

A lock will discourage the opportunist but not the determined. Unfortunate, sorry to hear, and may bad luck fall upon the thieves.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #19

Locks only keep honest people honest. If some one wants something they will get it one way or another.

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbob View Post
Man, $25ea. Seems kinda high to me, but as long as it does what it's intended to do, cheaper than having to shell out for 2 new batteries.
I emailed the link to my service tech with a comment about it being overpriced and he replied with "Overpriced?? - price seems reasonable to me" (him).

I'm interested in this - has anyone placed an order yet? Even with this if someone wants my batteries they can still get them but this is better than being an easy grab & steal center.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery