Old 08-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Stowing mattresses in transit in 233S

Is there a solution or trick to keeping the mattresses upright and in place while transporting the Roo 233S? While towing, they shift a little, but my preference is that they'd stay tight and tidy and not fall onto the floor. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't have a rope/bungee to keep them in place. Has anyone found a solution for this, or am I storing them incorrectly? (I stand them in front of the tents, folded and upright, just as the dealer showed me).

Old 08-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

the mattresses shouldn't have to be removed from the bunk door.
all are designed to allow for the mattress to be stowed vertical against the bunk door when closed up.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

The mattresses have a hinge point about a foot in from the side. Pull the mattress toward you, fold the 1 foot section up, close the bed. Mattress will stay in place during transport. Easy.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

Mine don't stay in place very well when I do it that way either, but I really prefer standing them up and letting the end rounded piece fall onto the door before folding in. Much easier to fold in the bunk, but they really need something to hold them in place then.

I've looked at getting some long tension type curtain/shower rods to put across them horizontally. 10 ft long costs over $60 each, so haven't done that yet. Maybe use 2 placed vertically in front of the mattresses, maybe can use 60in rods that are cheaper.

I realize someone will say to leave them attached to the velcro on the door, that is the design, but the front one on a 233S leans in from the front slope of the trailer, which makes it not stay in place very well, particularly if I deploy the slide without deploying the front bunk.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #5

on my 183 both folded bunks stay in place front and back, side one will fall to the floor, so I have screwed in an eye hook between the cabinet doors below and in the middle of the mattress and stretch heavy duty bungees from the bent metal cable hanger assembly on each top side of the bunk. This makes a V-shaped bungee that holds the mattress in place.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

The mattresses on my 23SS fold up and have button hold-downs similar to a boat cover. I snap the buttons down and it stays in place.........has FR changed the design since 2012?

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
The mattresses on my 23SS fold up and have button hold-downs similar to a boat cover. I snap the buttons down and it stays in place.........has FR changed the design since 2012?
Yes they have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #8

Sounds like we have the same issue. My 233S is a 2016, by the way, since I didn't specify that before. It sounds like the design may have changed from older models.

I like your curtain rod idea, especially for the front tent, which does sit at an inward angle when closed. Also, the Velcro doesn't seem to hold the mattress during the jostling of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Roo The Day View Post
Mine don't stay in place very well when I do it that way either, but I really prefer standing them up and letting the end rounded piece fall onto the door before folding in. Much easier to fold in the bunk, but they really need something to hold them in place then.

I've looked at getting some long tension type curtain/shower rods to put across them horizontally. 10 ft long costs over $60 each, so haven't done that yet. Maybe use 2 placed vertically in front of the mattresses, maybe can use 60in rods that are cheaper.

I realize someone will say to leave them attached to the velcro on the door, that is the design, but the front one on a 233S leans in from the front slope of the trailer, which makes it not stay in place very well, particularly if I deploy the slide without deploying the front bunk.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #9

Mine have HD velcro.

No matter how bad it gets, just own it!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 PM   #10

I have 2015 233s. At first I thought the bar was to help hold them but was told no. My front one stays ok. Having the slide in, it helps hold it. The only one that is a major problem is the side bunk. I haven't had it fall on the floor but it hangs off ALOT. Just a bit annoying. At one time i think I even emailed Forrest river and was just told that the bar is to be tucked in the mattress and not used to hold the It.

Good luck.

Towing with 2007 Ford F150
Camping in Colorado
cropper127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, towing