Old 03-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
reminds me of my years driving a ragtop car... leave it unlocked and maybe the thief won't slice your expensive top to get at your stereo

I only lock the main door if leaving camper for all day or more, and then only to prove to insurance company that I did at least lock it...
Exactamundo!

There certainly isn't much point in locking a tent but I now have a nice door that I can dutifully lock - for insurance purposes. (But was unlocked from the inside after they slashed the canvas to get in. . .) Anyway, spent way too many years in tents, pups and now hybrids to worry about it too much. We've lived under the motto that if you can't afford to lose it you'd best leave it at home. (Assuming it's safe there. )

The most important function that the locks perform for me is keeping my stuff in the camper and off the highway when I'm on the road. Now that is where I get miffed at these stupid key malfunctions. I mean, really, how hard can it be to have keys and locks that play nice together on your rig? Well, apparently it isn't a slam-dunk. Whodathunkit?

Well - it's beer:32 here. Throw me another cold one Ethel! Ethel!!! Where is that woman anyway?

1999 SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Geez... Guess I have no need to lick my new Roo when it is in storage. Maybe I shiuld leave it wide open... Would save the pain of having the battery operated sawzall stolen that I was goung to leave hanging off my camper so's no thief will break a plastic latch😞.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Hmm. Never thought about lickin' it. Maybe the SOB will catch somethin'?

Hmm. I like it!

Ethel! Ethel!!! Dang that woman. . .
1999 SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
locks and keys only keep honest people honest... a crook would easily defeat the latch with a heavy duty screwdriver, or a battery operated drill... adding a hasp and lock would give a little better protection... as far as locking the plastic bunk latch mechanism...??? why? it is plastic... reminds me of my years driving a ragtop car... leave it unlocked and maybe the thief won't slice your expensive top to get at your stereo

I only lock the main door if leaving camper for all day or more, and then only to prove to insurance company that I did at least lock it...
Lock held hasp did not Crooks came in broad daylight in less than 5 minutes. were gone

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hasp.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	103233  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #15

First, congrats on your new trailer! Saw the post when you picked it up...nice looking camper. I changed all the storage locks from the standard 751s to the combo-cam locks. Now, this was not really for security purposes. Always tend to find myself wanting in the storage areas and, of course, without keys It was more of a convenience issue, now all of the family and our camping friends know the combination and can get in without hassle (spare main door key also tucked away in case someone needs it...or I forget it haha). Happy camping!

2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
2008 Chevy Express 3500 Explorer Conversion
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyecmpr View Post
First, congrats on your new trailer! Saw the post when you picked it up...nice looking camper. I changed all the storage locks from the standard 751s to the combo-cam locks. Now, this was not really for security purposes. Always tend to find myself wanting in the storage areas and, of course, without keys It was more of a convenience issue, now all of the family and our camping friends know the combination and can get in without hassle (spare main door key also tucked away in case someone needs it...or I forget it haha). Happy camping!
Thank you! I will have to consider the combi-cam locks. Have you installed them on the bunk ends also? Not sure how it would work.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #17

No, not on the bunk doors...storage compartments only. I still have the older-style bunk latches, even though I've had new bunks put on (a couple of times). Not sure what can changed on bunk locks, if anything. I think I have locked my bunk latches once or twice during travel in the 6 years we've had our 233s, although I probably should Have not looked too closely at the newer-style, though.

2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
2008 Chevy Express 3500 Explorer Conversion
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #18

During my PDI, we never checked the door key to lock the door. We assumed that they locked ok. When I got home 200 miles away, the key would not lock it. Looking closer, I noticed that the key number did not match the lock number. I called the dealer and he had new keys sent to him and forwarded to me in about a week. Just shows that even small things slip through in a PDI.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #19

Uee

2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2007 Tundra Crewmax, 5.7

Tags
233, 233s