Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 PM   #1

Strange key problems, brand new 233S

As we have posted the last few days we brought our new Roo 233S home Friday. Since then we have been getting it ready for our first trip (hopefully) in about a week and a half. As a precaution I routinely get extra keys cut as I hate the idea of forgetting/losing keys. A trip to the local locksmith found the guy behind the counter searching all over for the correct blank. I assumed he was having trouble finding the blank for the door, which seems to be a bit of an unusual type of key. Not the case though. He couldn't match up the seemingly very common outside compartment key. The blanks he had had a groove along both sides of the key only, not on just one side Like the key I needed copied.

However, I noticed as soon as I received the set of keys at the dealer that the outside compartment key is numbered identically to the outside compartment key in my Starcraft 3612 pop-up. What are the odds?? When I arrived home I tried a Starcraft key in one of my bunk end handles and it worked! Cool!! I will just have the Starcraft key copied and I am all set!

BUT.....the plot thickens!! I bought some graphite to lube the locks as they were tough to use, and when I tried the keys provided with the new Roo in the bunk end handle locks it just woudn't fit! It would work in the outside compartment doors though, but not on the bunk end handles. Now, I know I had a key in one of those locks since I brought the camper home, but couldn't remember if it was a key provided with the Roo, or with the Starcraft. Well, you guessed it...the Starcraft key worked perfectly in my new Roo, but the Roo key wouldn't!!

Seems Forest River had been provided a bum set of keys when they assembled my Roo! At least it was an easily resolvable problem, but WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!?!

Just an FYI...CHECK YOUR KEYS ON YOUR NEW ROO!!!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Team

It's not all that uncommon really. Pretty much every manufacturer uses the CH571 for the outside storage compartments. I could probably unlock the storage compartments on 80-90 of the trailers in any campground I go (if I desired, but I wouldn't do that.)

That's one of the reasons I swapped all mine to the combi-cam lock. It replaces the standard locks with combination locks. A lot of others on here have just changed the cams to other keys they've bought online, at the local hardware store, etc... As long as you get the right diameter and length, pretty much any desk lock can be used to replace it.

I however chose the combi-cam because it's one less key to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 03-28-2016, 11:21 PM   #3

The door keys, storage keys, and bunk keys are all different. The bunk key should have a square handle surrounded by plastic. The door key should have an oval handle surrounded by plastic.

(We had the wrong door key when we picked up our unit. After an 8 hour pdi and a half hour after the dealer closed we were hooked up and ready to leave. Tried locking the door and the key didn't work in either door lock. They loaned us a green master key and replaced it about a month later.)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 AM   #4

I still remember the day I went to a RV store to buy a few compartment keys.
I showed her my key, and the sales person asked me how many I needed.....without asking me what type of camper I had, she reached to a jar and took the quantity needed !!!!!!!!! He told me there all the same............
Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #5

Drenjoey...yes, the compartments are all a 751-series. If you do a search on here, you'll see where some folks have swapped out the locks. I still have the 751-series and bought some extra keys off ebay. The kicker is that these ebay keys work much better than the ones I received with the camper (hope the link works).
Pair of Keys CH751 Key Blank RV Storage Compartment Trailer Utility Cabinets | eBay

Cheers,

Joe
Old 03-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #6

Same key is not abnormal on trailers your older keys will work better due to wear. New locks esp cheap ones can work harder due to all the working edges being sharp. But try to make new keys from an original key when possible and not from a copy.

Changing out your locks is fine but a small pry bay will have a thief in just as fast as you using key. Then you have door damage to repair.

Did you go to a locksmith or a store (like Walmart, Lowes other Hardware) that just cuts keys......... night and day difference ??

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 AM   #7

I was aware the 751 key was very common in RVs. The odd thing in my way of thinking was that seemingly there was a oroblem with the 751 key provided to FR to begin with in that it lacked the necessary 2nd groove, and that luckily that particular unit went to a guy who happened to have another RV that also used 751 keys that worked in the bunk end handles.

We received two sets of only 2 keys, not three as posted above.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

The locksmith couldn't find the 'correct' blank. Once I figured out what was going on I went to Lowes to have some made, and they work great.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #9

locks and keys only keep honest people honest... a crook would easily defeat the latch with a heavy duty screwdriver, or a battery operated drill... adding a hasp and lock would give a little better protection... as far as locking the plastic bunk latch mechanism...??? why? it is plastic... reminds me of my years driving a ragtop car... leave it unlocked and maybe the thief won't slice your expensive top to get at your stereo

I only lock the main door if leaving camper for all day or more, and then only to prove to insurance company that I did at least lock it...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

On PDI day, there was a Berk getting a new door on. Turns out, n its maiden voyage, the owner was having a good time with his neighbors. That evening he returned to his camper and found the door locked and he couldn't find his keys. He walked back over to his neighbors where they couldn't find his keys but they did find a sawzall. They cut around the lock and removed. I wish I took a picture of the door.

Tags
233, 233s