Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #41
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Few backpacking in the Yellowstone back country with a hard side TT on my back????

I have a Popup and camped at Grant with the only bear restriction was the same as tent camping. No food or personal care items in the tent/ Popup; food stored in the refrigerator was ok. Otherwise these items had to be stored in the bear box or car.

We had cooked in the camper before and did store food in the campers refrigerator. Even with two bears wondering around the camp ground, we had no issues.

Maybe do to the MH in the next loop leaving food on the picnic table all the time!

Oh if anyone think a hard side TT, car, truck, or house is going to keep out a hungry bear... You should review the Internet and/or YouTube!

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #42
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Yea Fishing Bridge's RV park restriction of no tents or soft sides is not due to bears. It's because Fishing Bridge is the ONLY campground in the park with 50A full hookups. Back in 2010 they told me the park service might update other campgrounds, so the Fishing Bridge restriction would be lifted?

MC's would need to run generators in the other campgrounds, so Fishing Bridge was built to accommodate the MC crowd. Plus it's one of the camp grounds that can accommodate the larger MC and Toads the go with that crowd.

I know when the campground is not full they will let hybrids in, but some have said they had to camp turtle to make the park rangers happy.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #43

Some friends spent 3 weeks out west with a very small hybrid towed by their suv. Only issues were lack of sleep due to only having canvass between them + neighbors. This is not the 1950's.... Campsites are tight & crowded + I prefer not to hear the neighbors, dogs barking, etc. when trying to sleep. Keeping critters out is just another benefit.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:34 AM   #44

I think you should look into renting a class c motor home for a couple of get-a-way short trips to get the feel and see if everyone is happy with the choice. There are several sizes that you can try. This may be a better choice. Check out RV shows and try the different features that are around.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #45
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Flintsters,

It sounds like the Sequoia is more a personal fit for the daily family needs. If so don't let that be a negative.

Getting the family into RV camping is a good motivation for buying a camper. But there are limits, compromises, and thousands of options!

If this is the family's first adventure into camping or at least RV camping, then buy the Sequoia for the family's daily needs. Explore the family's needs in RV camping by renting a few times.

In most city's you should be able to find pop ups, small TT, hybrids, and MC (class B & C) to rent. Most of the rentals you will be able to tow with the Sequoia.

Staying in a camper a few times lets you full understand your needs, likes, and dislikes. In about one good season of several trips you will have a better understanding of the options out there and your needs.

If you find the family can camp without a ton of things, you might be able to tow the Roo 233s with the Sequoia.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #46
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Suggestions for TV and Camper

Flintsters,

Be warned you will always need a bigger camper if the family can't embrace camping! If you fly or stay in hotels there are limits, so there needs to be agreed upon limits with the RV.

I am a backpacker at heart, so camping for me is limited to what I can carry.

The wife they camped at one lake every summer and stored the camper three miles down the road, so it's more a mobile housing or hotel alternate.

Buy the way traveling with a RV as alternate to hotels is great with kids and pets.

I started her with car camping in my 3 man tent. After a few trips she wanted off the ground, so started looking at cots/ blowup beds. Of course these required a huge cabin tent. I told her if I had to carry all that stuff and set it up we might as well skip to the chase and move to a camper. That lead to the largest Coleman Popup that my Highlander could tow and what fit in the garage.

A few years ago the Highlander was sluggish towing up to Mount Rushmore.

The wife thought it was time for a dedicated TV as the Highlander had 150k+.

She wanted just a Tacoma, but seeing the pattern I knew a larger TT was coming, so I told her we would get the largest 1/2 ton.

Now with the Tundra Crewmax the Popup is getting small, one year old, two dogs, two adults, one cat, and a few times the in laws. So we have been looking at the Roo 23IKSS which should work fine for our real needs and towing capacity of the Tundra.

With these posts I have been educating my wife in the Tundra Crewmax & Roo 23IKSS limits, before we buy the Roo.

Last night she thought we maybe should have bought a larger truck!!!!! Then she asked what if we wanted a big camper?

The Tundra and 23IKSS will serve our needs just fine. I need her to live within limits. She always brings a ton of stuff (cloths etc) and only wears/uses an 1/8 to 1/3 of what she brings.

The Sequoia might be a healthy limit!

Just make sure you don't buy more camper than your TV can tow. Then remember there are limits to the camper TV setup you have.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #47

I use to tow a 32' 5th wheel with 2 slide outs behind my Toyota Tundra Crew Max with no issues so it can definitely tow quite a bit of weight.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #48
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Dinostop,

I am glad the wife thinks this form is too nerdy... Yea Facebook isn't.

You won't be helping me. I keep telling her if we get bigger than the Roo we are going full time!

What system do you use for the short bed?

Given last nights conversation I should start my education for the next camper.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #49

I have used a couple of systems, personally I would tow a 5er behind a crewman again because of the 5.5 bed. However it can be done with a Reese revolution pin box and a manual slider hitch. If you were set on Toyota I would go with a double cab and an auto slide hitch by Demco or the Superglide. I've used both and are basically the same. The other option is a Double Cab and the Reese revolution pin box and a standard 5th wheel hitch.

My experience with the crew max was driving home with the camper at some point I made a tight turn and dented the back of my truck above the back window. No clue when I did it, I didn't blow out the window so I would be concerned about that happening again and that was with the Reese revolution. Shortly after that I upgraded trucks and since then trucks again and campers. I know have a f350 with a 6.75' bed and a Demco auto slide hitch.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #50
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Good to know. So far she has not liked the lite weight 5ers. Plus a larger RV would be a problem for the more remote sites I really like to camp in.

I am sure until she sees a 5er with more beds, not sofa beds/ convertible beds, with builtin generator she will be happy with the Roo.

She has stated it would be nice to have a Jeep or 4 wheeler again... I showed her given we only 4 wheel in Ouray Colorado it would be better to continue to rent or buy one and store it down there!

I will admit we have out grown the Popup a bit, but the Roo 23IKSS is more then enough.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #51
Pockets

You can do like I did, take the DW to an RV show and find out what she and you like. Once you have decided, you have the specs to get a TV, new or used, it's up to you. I saw my TT at an RV show in Feb. Based on the specs, I bought the TV in Apr and the trailer in June. DW loves it. Happy wife, happy life. We spent the summer getting used to it. Next Oct, I'm towing it down to FL, stay for a month, drive back up to Ontario. After NYs, drive back down and spend the rest of the winter in the southern US of A. Good luck EriK
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
You can do like I did, take the DW to an RV show and find out what she and you like. Once you have decided, you have the specs to get a TV, new or used, it's up to you. I saw my TT at an RV show in Feb. Based on the specs, I bought the TV in Apr and the trailer in June. DW loves it. Happy wife, happy life. We spent the summer getting used to it. Next Oct, I'm towing it down to FL, stay for a month, drive back up to Ontario. After NYs, drive back down and spend the rest of the winter in the southern US of A. Good luck EriK
This is exactly what I did.
found some floorplans to show the DW. Then went and looked at those she liked.
Found that the 23SS met most of her wants.
THEN I shopped for a TV that would be more than adequate to tow it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #53
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Did that several times - she states she is happy with the 23IKSS and it will meet our needs. We just need to see in person a few new options and the new colors.

Then the hard part is living within the limit of the TV (2012 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L)

I just don't understand why we need to take soooo much stuff that we never use? That's with the 12' Coleman Popup, so I am worried what we will end up bring in the much larger 23IKSS!

I am really pushing for the stand alone chairs & tables as it eliminates the overhead storage and the two bench seat storage.

Big bonus.... Reviewing the photos on the Shamrock 23IKSS the stand alone table & chairs gives you larger Windows as they go to the ceiling of the slide out!

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Tags
camper