Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

Suggestions for TV and Camper

Good morning, everyone. This is my first post here and completely new to the world of campers. My wife and I are planning a 7-8 week trip across the country (leaving Vermont and mostly getting out West as quickly as we can) with our 3 girls. We are planning on the trip in 2-3 years, which will put our girls at 12, 10, and 5. I have spent a lot of time tent camping but my wife can only take a couple of nights in a tent before she snaps so it looks like we are upgrading to a camper. I am completely overwhelmed with the endless options and things to consider. This is where I am right now (but will likely change by dinnertime tonight) and would love your advice and guidance.

We know we are going to need to get a new tow vehicle. While I really want a truck, my wife is really wanting a vehicle with a third row seat for more space for the girls while traveling on the trip as well as the day to day things that come up with kids when we are not camping. This limits the size of the camper considerably. I am not sure this is a bad thing since I don't really have a whole lot of experience towing. We are looking at a Toyota Sequoia (GCWR = 13,500 lbs, GVWR = 1250 lbs, Towing capacity = 7100 lbs) but have not even gotten to the point of a test drive yet so we are certainly not committed to it.

Given the need for space with that much estrogen in a confined space for a long period of time, I am leaning towards the Roo 233s. It seems to be a good compromise for space, sleeping arrangements, towing, and set up. Would this work with the Sequoia? Do you see this becoming problematic for 2 months? While I have not gotten to the point of mapping out the route, I would imagine we will range somewhere between Glacier National Park and Grand Canyon and try to hit everything in between.

Steve

Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

You might be pushing it with the Sequoia when you have everything packed. You are into Tundra towing range when loaded.

I have a Tundra Crewmax and it has a lot of room for three adults in the back seat.

I think with a Tundra Crewmax you will still need to be careful in loading the TV and camper! If you went with a standard cab long bed Tundra you would be good to go on the towing side, but room for everyone would be an issue.

Remember the published camper weight is without; propane, batteries, food, bedding, & camping gear.

I would just look at the GCWR of the camper as you will most likely meet or exceed that mark.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

You are in a range of something larger than a SUV. They are not suited for large trailers and by the time you add airbags and truck tires they ride like one. Have a good conversation about future plans. You might be better with larger trailer to start with with a slide as opposed to tent ends, being a northern state might very well extend your camping season as well. Pick the trailer first and make sure the Tow Vehicle can tow the full weight of the trailer with 5 people and other gear in the TV as well.

Your minimum is most likely going to work out to a crew cab pickup with all heavy duty equipment/tow package.

We are only two and have done upgarde once for trailer and twice for TV and now third trailer is in the plans
Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

The Roo 233s has a 4,748 UVW and a cargo weight of 1,477 for a total of 6,222 lbs.

Towing in the Rocky Mountains you really want to limit the max towing by 15 to 20%. That puts the Sequoia at 5,680 to 6,035 max towing.

2016 Tundra Crewmax (4x2/4x4):

GVWR: 7,000/7,200
Cargo: 1,665/1,575
Towing: 10,100/9,800

Using the Rocky MTN rules of thumb the Tundra Crewmax 4x4 towing is down to: 7,800/8,330

The Tundra Crewmax 4x2 towing is down to: 8,080/8,585.

Every option (4x4, dual rear wheels, limited, platinum, etc) you add to the TV reduces your towing, so consider them carefully.

While the Sequoia has the same frame & drivetrain as the Tundra the extra metal for the full SUV enclosure takes away from the towing.

The same is true for the Crewmax vs the contractor 2dr cab.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #5

I thought the 233S I looked at had a GVWR of 6600 per the yellow sticker. Traveling with 4 women out west,that means you will always be hauling water in the tank, and a ton of woman stuff including at least 50 pairs of shoes. Not light any of it. Use the GVWR for figuring. Also plan on the hitch weight of the 233S being much more than the advertised 602 lbs. With gas and battery its over 700. With water and a percentage of gear ahead of the axles you'll be at 800 to 900 or more. Its front heavy by design due to the slide ahead of the axles.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Mr Havercamp,

Makes a good point the published weights are very different from the weight scaled unit you end up buying. Again options on the camper increase the GVWR of the actual camper.

Remember the tongue weight reduces the cargo weight of the TV.

With the Sequoia at GCWR of 1,250 - 700 = 550lbs. Not much for people and gear in the TV.

The Tundra Crewmax 4x4: 1,575 - 700 = 875lbs for people & cargo in the TV.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #7

I used to toe with a Chevy Suburban. It had lots of room with and without the 3rd seat. If you could find a 3/4 ton version it would tow quite a bit. For a while I had a Tundra Crew Max and towed a 32' with a slide out 5er but would highly suggest against it because of turning radius. 5ers are much easier to tow.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

I was worried you were going to say that. I am just not sure that my wife is willing to bend on the truck thing (more for the daily living piece than the trip). The Sequoia looks like it is about at the top of the SUV food chain when it comes to 3rd row seating and capacity. I guess, unless I can come up with a REALLY good pitch, we will be needing a smaller camper. Any suggestions that will allow us to not have to break down the dinette table each morning for sleeping? If it has to happen then I guess we'll make it work, but I would expect us to get tired of it in relatively short order.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Each of the bunks are Queens and if you go with the sofa bed option that's another queen. With three queens you should be able to fit 6 adults without using the dinning table option.

You can even fit a air mattress on the floor of some models.

Pay attention to the GCWR of the Sequoia if you stick with it as the TV, because you can quickly have your family traveling in another car.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #10

Roo 183?

Tags
camper