Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Suggestions for TV and Camper

Good morning, everyone. This is my first post here and completely new to the world of campers. My wife and I are planning a 7-8 week trip across the country (leaving Vermont and mostly getting out West as quickly as we can) with our 3 girls. We are planning on the trip in 2-3 years, which will put our girls at 12, 10, and 5. I have spent a lot of time tent camping but my wife can only take a couple of nights in a tent before she snaps so it looks like we are upgrading to a camper. I am completely overwhelmed with the endless options and things to consider. This is where I am right now (but will likely change by dinnertime tonight) and would love your advice and guidance.

We know we are going to need to get a new tow vehicle. While I really want a truck, my wife is really wanting a vehicle with a third row seat for more space for the girls while traveling on the trip as well as the day to day things that come up with kids when we are not camping. This limits the size of the camper considerably. I am not sure this is a bad thing since I don't really have a whole lot of experience towing. We are looking at a Toyota Sequoia (GCWR = 13,500 lbs, GVWR = 1250 lbs, Towing capacity = 7100 lbs) but have not even gotten to the point of a test drive yet so we are certainly not committed to it.

Given the need for space with that much estrogen in a confined space for a long period of time, I am leaning towards the Roo 233s. It seems to be a good compromise for space, sleeping arrangements, towing, and set up. Would this work with the Sequoia? Do you see this becoming problematic for 2 months? While I have not gotten to the point of mapping out the route, I would imagine we will range somewhere between Glacier National Park and Grand Canyon and try to hit everything in between.

Steve
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

You might be pushing it with the Sequoia when you have everything packed. You are into Tundra towing range when loaded.

I have a Tundra Crewmax and it has a lot of room for three adults in the back seat.

I think with a Tundra Crewmax you will still need to be careful in loading the TV and camper! If you went with a standard cab long bed Tundra you would be good to go on the towing side, but room for everyone would be an issue.

Remember the published camper weight is without; propane, batteries, food, bedding, & camping gear.

I would just look at the GCWR of the camper as you will most likely meet or exceed that mark.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
You are in a range of something larger than a SUV. They are not suited for large trailers and by the time you add airbags and truck tires they ride like one. Have a good conversation about future plans. You might be better with larger trailer to start with with a slide as opposed to tent ends, being a northern state might very well extend your camping season as well. Pick the trailer first and make sure the Tow Vehicle can tow the full weight of the trailer with 5 people and other gear in the TV as well.

Your minimum is most likely going to work out to a crew cab pickup with all heavy duty equipment/tow package.

We are only two and have done upgarde once for trailer and twice for TV and now third trailer is in the plans
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

The Roo 233s has a 4,748 UVW and a cargo weight of 1,477 for a total of 6,222 lbs.

Towing in the Rocky Mountains you really want to limit the max towing by 15 to 20%. That puts the Sequoia at 5,680 to 6,035 max towing.

2016 Tundra Crewmax (4x2/4x4):

GVWR: 7,000/7,200
Cargo: 1,665/1,575
Towing: 10,100/9,800

Using the Rocky MTN rules of thumb the Tundra Crewmax 4x4 towing is down to: 7,800/8,330

The Tundra Crewmax 4x2 towing is down to: 8,080/8,585.

Every option (4x4, dual rear wheels, limited, platinum, etc) you add to the TV reduces your towing, so consider them carefully.

While the Sequoia has the same frame & drivetrain as the Tundra the extra metal for the full SUV enclosure takes away from the towing.

The same is true for the Crewmax vs the contractor 2dr cab.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

I thought the 233S I looked at had a GVWR of 6600 per the yellow sticker. Traveling with 4 women out west,that means you will always be hauling water in the tank, and a ton of woman stuff including at least 50 pairs of shoes. Not light any of it. Use the GVWR for figuring. Also plan on the hitch weight of the 233S being much more than the advertised 602 lbs. With gas and battery its over 700. With water and a percentage of gear ahead of the axles you'll be at 800 to 900 or more. Its front heavy by design due to the slide ahead of the axles.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #6
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Mr Havercamp,

Makes a good point the published weights are very different from the weight scaled unit you end up buying. Again options on the camper increase the GVWR of the actual camper.

Remember the tongue weight reduces the cargo weight of the TV.

With the Sequoia at GCWR of 1,250 - 700 = 550lbs. Not much for people and gear in the TV.

The Tundra Crewmax 4x4: 1,575 - 700 = 875lbs for people & cargo in the TV.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

I used to toe with a Chevy Suburban. It had lots of room with and without the 3rd seat. If you could find a 3/4 ton version it would tow quite a bit. For a while I had a Tundra Crew Max and towed a 32' with a slide out 5er but would highly suggest against it because of turning radius. 5ers are much easier to tow.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #8

I was worried you were going to say that. I am just not sure that my wife is willing to bend on the truck thing (more for the daily living piece than the trip). The Sequoia looks like it is about at the top of the SUV food chain when it comes to 3rd row seating and capacity. I guess, unless I can come up with a REALLY good pitch, we will be needing a smaller camper. Any suggestions that will allow us to not have to break down the dinette table each morning for sleeping? If it has to happen then I guess we'll make it work, but I would expect us to get tired of it in relatively short order.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Each of the bunks are Queens and if you go with the sofa bed option that's another queen. With three queens you should be able to fit 6 adults without using the dinning table option.

You can even fit a air mattress on the floor of some models.

Pay attention to the GCWR of the Sequoia if you stick with it as the TV, because you can quickly have your family traveling in another car.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Roo 183?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #11

The floorplan you posted is a good one for a family of 5, with girls that might want to bring a friend camping. Slide out is great for having enough space to move around when 5 people are stuck inside during a storm.

Now, on to the TV.

Take 12% of the max trailer weight. That is the tongue weight your vehicle will need to support. With 4 females, I would use the GVWR of the TT. Betting on not using all the CC of the TT is not a safe bet! By the time you load bedding, clothes, food, ice, cookware, games, camp chairs etc for 5 people, you're looking at 1000 lbs + EASILY. Unless you play the weight police on every trip, you will be close to max.

Add to that number the weight of people and stuff you plan to have inside the vehicle. Include any after market parts like steps and roof racks, if you're into that.

Add to that 100 pounds for a good WDH.

Take that total (12% + people and stuff + WDH), and subtract from the Cargo Capacity of the vehicle you are considering. This is published on the door sticker. It will vary by trim level and options, so just looking at a website may be off by 200 pounds or more. Look at the sticker on the actual vehicle.

Can it hold the tongue weight, the hitch, your family, and stuff?

For almost all 1/2 ton vehicles the cargo capacity (also known as payload) is the limiting factor for towing a full height travel trailer. You can ignore the max tow ratings until you verify that the payload is not exceeded.

For an SUV, you may need to budget some money to stiffen up the suspension. Truck suspensions are better suited to towing and hauling. SUV suspensions are better suited to families and groceries. I'm not saying an SUV can't be a decent tow vehicle, but realize that there are trade offs. What you gain in ride comfort around town in an SUV will be a negative when towing a travel trailer.

If you take the time to do this math, and check the actual stickers on both the TT and the TV you can find a good match. Use the GVWR on the TT. The dry weight published means almost nothing. Options like awnings, AC units, TVs Microwaves, and anything listed in an option package are most likely not included in the published dry weight. The sticker on the camper will include factory options. Ask the dealership if they have added any additional options (battery and propane for one, possibly other items).

One SUV with 3rd row seating that you may want to look into is the Dodge Durango with the 5.7L hemi and max tow package. I saw someone towing a 30 footer with a family in it, and thought "no way...." so I did a quick web search on the Durango capacities and was surprised. They were right on the line, but technically it could do it.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Yea the Roo 17, 19, or 183 would be the best fit for the Sequoia.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #13

This may not be in your wheel house but are you planning on camping over the years to come or are you just planning this one trip?

If you are only really planning this one big trip then it may be a better idea to rent.

If you want to get into this and take multiple trips over the years then I would look into a truck and TT. The truck will not be that much bigger than the Sequioa and easy enough to drive on the regular. I always rode in a crew cab (4-door) when I was a kid with my sisters on road trips. There was plenty of room and you have have the necessary CC for your TT.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #14

Make sure you get a TV that will handle the TT you want to get. Do your homework on the weights, GVWR, GWR etc. of TV. Tongue weight of trailer. Tongue weight that the TV can handle. Do you want to travel safely? Think into the future for possible trailer upgrades. Good luck. You'll get lots of different answers here but it's only you who can make the decision you have to live with.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #15
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Another plus for a Tundra over the Sequoia is the towing mirrors!

Its the only way you will be able to see past the boxy camper.

Both give comparable gas Mileage (5.7L & 4x4).

If your wife is worried about driving the Crewmax remember they are both built from the same base!

I had my wife drive a Crewmax at a Toyota drive event where they had models hooked up to trailers loaded to the max with iron weights. She thought it was fun to drive!

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
Make sure you get a TV that will handle the TT you want to get. Do your homework on the weights, GVWR, GWR etc. of TV. Tongue weight of trailer. Tongue weight that the TV can handle. Do you want to travel safely? Think into the future for possible trailer upgrades. Good luck. You'll get lots of different answers here but it's only you who can make the decision you have to live with.
Yes!!!! make sure you research the payload and carrying capacity. Remember tongue weight, cargo, gear, WDH and people all deduct from the the CC.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #17

I tried towing my 233s with s trailblazer, not enough stability, it would sway all over the road if a bird flew by

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #18

My wife isn't worried about the size of the truck but the capacity to haul our kids with their friends (which is why we have a minivan right now). It is my plan/hope to not make this a 1 time trip, but a way our family vacations and explores together. I am most worried about the safety of my family and not burning up our tow vehicle. What I am hearing is that for me to do that I will need to go the truck route. It might mean that we need to get rid of both vehicles and get a truck and a newer minivan (ours is close to the end of its life, which is why we were hoping to trade the minivan for a SUV).
Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #19

If you're looking to take more than five people, a crew cab isn't going to cut it. You've limited yourself to a Suburban/Yukon, which in that case should be a 3/4 ton.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #20

Based on your last reply, you might consider renting a trailer for a weekend to try out the idea of TT camping. Might be you love it but the rest of the fam hates it. Better to have an expensive weekend rental than lose your buns on a TT that won't be used.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper