Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Suggestions please!

My husband I have been married for 35 years. We've been very happy together. My family has always loved to camp. His family never camped. They were very hard workers, working from daylight to dark. There was very little free time so they never camped. We bought our 1st pop up when our youngest was around 4 yrs old. We've had 2 more pop up in the last 20 plus yrs. We have always gone on family camping trips and we have enjoyed those trips more than words can express! We recently bought our first HTT. I really love to travel and so I'm looking forward to getting away and seeing some gorgeous scenic views!!! I've been a little uneasy and here is the part where I need your suggestions. My husband relaxes when he is busy doing something. I like to relax in reading something or on the computer or watching a movie. I like to hike. I'm trying to think of something's for him to do so that he will enjoy camping as much as I do. He doesn't care to go fishing. I think he would enjoy hicking. He loves to take pictures so I'm hoping to get him a good camera for Christmas so he can enjoy taking pictures of the places we stay at. What some other out door camping things that you might suggest to do? What are some fun things you all enjoy?
kellieh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #2

Buy him a camping dutch oven.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

How about a mini wood turning lathe? Does he like to wood work? there is a place called Penn state industries that has all kinds of neat little wood working projects using a wood lathe. They are fairly inexpensive and are a lot of fun. Making pens is my favorite thing to do. Easy pretty cheap and they can be given away as gifts or sold for a little walking money.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #4

Geochaching while hiking
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #5

My DW also enjoys reading and just sitting around with her iPad while relaxing, on the other hand I also need to stay busy. I will read however I get bored just sitting so I find myself doing all sorts of different things. I will clean and polish something on our fver or tv, we both like to walk, use the metal detector, do minor preventative maintenance, RC cars (with grand kids), figure out and design my next mod and check out the local flavor just to name a few. For us there is always something to do.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
If he likes taking photos a good camera and then as he gets good pictures of scenery or wildlife maybe he can sell a few pictures on a photo sales site.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieh04 View Post
I think he would enjoy hicking.
I thought hickeys were done more when you were dating, not married.....but I'm sure he would enjoy it nonetheless.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You have had several excellent suggestions that can be done while hiking. As Marines0811 suggested: Geocaching can be a fun hobby and many, many parks have geocaches placed in them.

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

I actually like the historical aspect of finding benchmarks, which may be something else you could have him look at. It may keep his mind busy, in planning the hunt, etc. You also take pics of the benchmarks, which adds to it. The NGS (National Geodetic Survey) actually wants you to upload the pics to the govt website and have a protocol for this. That's one of the reasons I like it so much, as your efforts become part of a permanent database for history purposes..

Geocaching > Benchmark Hunting

Yellowstone Park even has a book concerning the benchmarks there:

Benchmark Hunting in Yellowstone National Park: Thomas P. Bohannan: 9780985407209: Amazon.com: Books

EDIT: Here is a recovery submitted by moi. The photographs linked on the page, as well as the Handheld 2 coordinates from 2011 were mine.....so you can see how they become part of the official history of the mark itself....with your initials.

DATASHEETS

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

+1 on the Geocaching suggestions. It gives your hike a purpose & gives your hike a mission. We've found some truly beautiful places while geocaching that we otherwise would have never visited.
Too bad he doesn't like fishing. Hiking and fly fishing mountain streams is what makes me tick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
Site Team

How about Amateur Radio. Great picnic table activity.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
NELA

My DH is addicted to golf, so when we decided to get back in to RVing I was determined that our travels would not interfere with his "first love".

We plan *many* of our trips based on locations of golf courses. I'm a "comatose" relaxer so I don't mind a bit that he gets up EARLY and hits a local golf course while I sleep in. I'm not a morning person, so I have the leisure to get moving slowwwly while he's out whackin' balls and chasin' them around.

It's never too late, BTW, to take up golf. If he's interested then encourage him to try it! We've found that so many state parks, lakes, etc. have golf courses nearby.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote