Old 03-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #21

I never used to have one but there was a clearance sale last year so I picked one up at a ridiculously low price. Late in the season there was a weird situation where a bunch of campers around me all had their AC kick on at the exact same time and it was like the electrical grid around me couldn't handle it. My surge protector cut power to my unit and threw up the warnings about an issue it was protecting me from.

Do I know I would have had a problem? No. Am I glad that I had the surge protector in place and as a result I definitely did not have a problem? Yes.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #22

All it takes is one time to make you a true believer.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #23

r
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
In my opinion, the more important protection is from improperly wired outlets and low/high voltage conditions. A simple tester from the hardware store and a pocket DVOM can tell you when you hook up if things are ok, at least at that point in time. As far as I have heard, the greatest cause of the voltage fluctuations in the campgrounds are when everyone is using their A/C units and they are all cycled on almost constantly. That is not so likely this time of year.

I have the same mindset as TURBS... My wife was not interested in learing what to check before plugging in and didn't want the hassle if she went somewhere on her own, so a Progressive Industries hardwired unit was worth every penny to me. The popup only had a control board on the furnace so there wasn't much to fry in it so I never bothered.

I would not cancel your trip. Just do like I used to with the popup. Pick up a circuit tester like one of these...

http://www.menards.com/main/electric...00782625430300

And you should have a cheap DVOM to keep in the camper anyway. You can get both for less than $20.
  1. Plug circuit tester into outlet using a 30A adapter (i.e. test the 30A outlet not the 15A as I have seen one wired correct and the other backwards)
  2. Read the lights and if it indicates good, test the voltage...
  3. Put the DVOM on AC volts and you should have 105-128 volts.
I personally don't like to see as low as 105 but if you aren't running the A/C it would be fine. This is what I did for our first couple of trips before I could get our EMS installed.
I have never seen a adapter for a 30 amp outlet that you would pug your tester into like the one you show. I have seen 20 amp plug to 30 amp but not the other way around
Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #24

bareftn... I've had mine for over a decade so don't have any idea where I bought it... If you like ordering off of the internet

15 Amp RV Female to 30 Amp Male Adapter - Furrion I1531AD-RB - Electrical Adapters - Camping World

Otherwise I would think most decent dealerships have them.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #25
Site Team

Most members recommend Progressive Industries. I would go camping. I would not get something less than PI just to have one for this trip. Order it today and have it for your next trip.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #26

Would you go with the surge protector for $109 or the power management system for $250?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock04 View Post
Would you go with the surge protector for $109 or the power management system for $250?
Power management. has time delay for your A/C. Not to highjack But I just got my pendent, is everyone just loose in the box or did something break, and I need a new one? I'm talking about the LED read out screen, it just rattles around in it.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #28

Hemlock04... The best place to mount the unit in my Roo 19 was in behind a panel so I went with the power management model that had the remote readout - Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

If you don't need/want the remote readout Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea has all of the same protection features and saves about $40.

gljurczyk... If the remote readout has parts rattling inside, that doesn't sound good If I remember correctly, there were some screws etc. shipped in a baggy inside the main unit and those might have bee rattling around but nothing loose inside the remote. Or do you have the one with the built in readout and that is loose? I'm not quite sure I fully understand.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon-roo View Post
Hemlock04... The best place to mount the unit in my Roo 19 was in behind a panel so I went with the power management model that had the remote readout - Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

If you don't need/want the remote readout Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea has all of the same protection features and saves about $40.

gljurczyk... If the remote readout has parts rattling inside, that doesn't sound good If I remember correctly, there were some screws etc. shipped in a baggy inside the main unit and those might have bee rattling around but nothing loose inside the remote. Or do you have the one with the built in readout and that is loose? I'm not quite sure I fully understand.
NO I'm talking about the LED screen just rattling around inside the box it sits in. On the plug in remote readout
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #30

Ok... dealing with a coffee shortage this morning, sorry 'bout that. On my remote the LED display does not move at all... If I'm still not getting it, hopefully someone else will chime in.