Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #21

Ok, so as I understand this, the primary concern is surge protection which will protect the entire electrical system of the camper. It seems that a secondary concern is under voltage that will cause problems with any electric motors on the camper but primarily the air conditioner. Third concern is the proper grounding and polarity of the pedestal.

Certainly $250-$400 is cheap insurance compared to the cost of the camper. I have also felt that insurance is not a great investment and should only be purchased if necessary.

A good surge protector can be purchased for under $100 that addresses the first concern. I typically don't use air conditioning while camping. This may change with my Roo but, if not I think I would be less concerned with under voltage. I have camped for almost 15 years in my pop up with out a problem with grounding or polarity. This can be checked with a $5 tester that I already own.

I guess I am leaning towards the $100 surge protector. I hate to pay $400 for a fuse that will need to be replaced after the first surge. If this doesn't happen I am paying $400 for something I am not using. I'm sure that there are other aspects of this that I am overlooking so please fill me in where I am incorrect. I am just trying to make an informed decision on a expensive purchase.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
A good surge protector can be purchased for under $100 that addresses the first concern.
I disagree. In normal terminology, "surge protection" refers to high-voltage (>300), short-duration spikes (lightening) and to over-voltage conditions (long duration & usually far less than 300v). For ~$100 you get only the first (and no protection against under-voltage either).

By all means spend just the $100 if that's all you want.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #23

If you buy a progressive protector and it fails they will replace it lifetime it is not a one time use if you have the proper detector for the problem that was created... The old saying you get what you pay for
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #24

Is there a way to lock these to the power pedestal so nobody takes it? I know most campers are very trustworthy but I would hate to see my $200 walk off.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

There is a little metal tab with a hole through it you can use to lock it to the pedestal.
This can be snipped quite easily with the right tool but would protect against someone walking by and looking for a quick and easy theft.

BTW - I don't lock mine.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #26

There is a person of the forum that was camping in a CG at St. Andrews NB. The ground failed on a loop. One trailer caught fire and he lost all his electronics in his trailer. The box went from 120 volt to 240. If he had a $300 proctor on his TT he would not have had a problem. The CG he was at was well kept. The problem is you can not see what is happening below the soil. We have a unit and it tripped several times last year while in BC. We had a power spike during a wind storm. If ours stops working I will be replacing it.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Site Team

The $100 unit would give some protection but would need replacing since it cannot be reset. The $300 range unit provides more protection in its coverage and can be reset.

I debated between the two for the same reasons you gave. Like insurance this is something you don't need until you need it. Since I can't foresee the future I rather be protected now instead of regretting that I didn't invest in it. But then I opted for RV insurance too.

In the end the choice is up to each of us. From what I gather a using SP isn't as common as I would had thought. I might have a entry-level, lower price range unit but I am on a modest income so deciding on the higher price SP was the right choice for me. I was lucky to buy it when it had a really good sale price among with a $75 off coupon. I brought the portable unit and I do lock the power pedestal with a small padlock.

In the end when it comes to RV insurance or SP the choice is up to the owner to decide; after all we will need to live with the outcome.

Edit:
While the $100 unit doesn't offer as much protection I would lean towards it than not having any SP at all. It would be my #2 choice out of the 3 choices.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #28

Thanks for all the info. This provides some better justification for going for the upgrade.