Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Surge Protectors for Roos

I have a new Roo 19 on order and I have read a lot of information on this forum about the benefit of surge protectors for your RVs. From what I have read, it seems that your looking at $250-$300 for a surge protector that will provide benefit.

I have not used one on my pop up and I am curious as to how many Roo owners are using them. Certainly if you are not connected to shore power it would not be required. I usually have at least power where I camp in mostly state parks.

It is a small fraction of the cost of the camper but it is still a lot of money! Is there a real need? Does it matter more in private campgrounds verses state parks or does everyone fell that it is safe insurance just in case?

Thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

It'll cost you alot more than $250-$300 to replace all your onboard electronics. We're talking microwave, frigde, AC, water heater, stereo, TV, furnace control board, converter, etc. Personally I consider it cheap insurance. Some are happy they had one, others have camped for decades and never used/needed one. Campground voltage can vary alot. If you don't plan on keeping your new Roo long (upgrade bug) I'd get a protable unit. That way you can use it on your next camper if it's 30Amp.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I thinks it's a good idea. There's a lot that can go wrong and would be expensive to fix. I've got the Progressive Industries Portable 30amp (EMS-PT30C).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post

It is a small fraction of the cost of the camper but it is still a lot of money! Is there a real need? Does it matter more in private campgrounds verses state parks or does everyone fell that it is safe insurance just in case?

Thanks
To your questions...

You can search and read about low voltage, surges and mistakes in wiring that others have run across.

It's not wide spread, but often will happen in very busy parks during very warm weather when everyone is trying to run their ac. One way to protect yourself is with a device that can detect and shut down as needed (like the progressive). Another way is to install an autoformer.

Also, every now and then, a park will expand, upgrade or rewire and the electrician wires incorrectly. Of course, you can avoid these sits by checking the pedestal before you plug in.

A good surge protector checks for these problems before connecting your power.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

We have the same as Tri guy small amount considering your investment
for the trailer... I would hate to ruin my vacation when I could have prevented it....
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

This is the first time I've ever heard of these. I don't have an issue with buying one, but how many people actually use these things?

I'm not new to campers, I'be been camping in a pop up with all the electronics for a bunch of years.

Is it more popular in some areas than others? Maybe some areas have less stable than others?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

It's cheap insurance...electrical problems/miswired/spikes/surges can happen anywhere, including at home...best $200-300 you'll spend!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

Fritz two of my fellow workers drive down to myrtle beach for april vacation from mass every year both have thirty foot campers both laughed at me when I was asking them if they ever used them. They were not laughing when they got home storm kicked up while they were there transformer blew causing a power surge. One guy only lost his shore chord fried to the pedestal. Second guy not so lucky lost everything in the camper and actually had a fire in his wall this all happened second day of vacation.. Long story short they both have one now......
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Don't get me wrong, I know that surges happen. I'm just curious how many people use these. I have put one into my wish list on Amazon to buy when I have the money. I'm all for protecting my camper.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I did not use one for years, either, and frankly have had no surges like described above. But, I have had low voltage situations since I started using mine.

Take a look at the number of threads just on FRF. Its a popular item to discuss...

surge protector - Google Search

2012 Shamrock 233S