Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Surge Protectors for Roos

I have a new Roo 19 on order and I have read a lot of information on this forum about the benefit of surge protectors for your RVs. From what I have read, it seems that your looking at $250-$300 for a surge protector that will provide benefit.

I have not used one on my pop up and I am curious as to how many Roo owners are using them. Certainly if you are not connected to shore power it would not be required. I usually have at least power where I camp in mostly state parks.

It is a small fraction of the cost of the camper but it is still a lot of money! Is there a real need? Does it matter more in private campgrounds verses state parks or does everyone fell that it is safe insurance just in case?

Thanks
Archicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

It'll cost you alot more than $250-$300 to replace all your onboard electronics. We're talking microwave, frigde, AC, water heater, stereo, TV, furnace control board, converter, etc. Personally I consider it cheap insurance. Some are happy they had one, others have camped for decades and never used/needed one. Campground voltage can vary alot. If you don't plan on keeping your new Roo long (upgrade bug) I'd get a protable unit. That way you can use it on your next camper if it's 30Amp.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I thinks it's a good idea. There's a lot that can go wrong and would be expensive to fix. I've got the Progressive Industries Portable 30amp (EMS-PT30C).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post

It is a small fraction of the cost of the camper but it is still a lot of money! Is there a real need? Does it matter more in private campgrounds verses state parks or does everyone fell that it is safe insurance just in case?

Thanks
To your questions...

You can search and read about low voltage, surges and mistakes in wiring that others have run across.

It's not wide spread, but often will happen in very busy parks during very warm weather when everyone is trying to run their ac. One way to protect yourself is with a device that can detect and shut down as needed (like the progressive). Another way is to install an autoformer.

Also, every now and then, a park will expand, upgrade or rewire and the electrician wires incorrectly. Of course, you can avoid these sits by checking the pedestal before you plug in.

A good surge protector checks for these problems before connecting your power.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #5

We have the same as Tri guy small amount considering your investment
for the trailer... I would hate to ruin my vacation when I could have prevented it....
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

This is the first time I've ever heard of these. I don't have an issue with buying one, but how many people actually use these things?

I'm not new to campers, I'be been camping in a pop up with all the electronics for a bunch of years.

Is it more popular in some areas than others? Maybe some areas have less stable than others?
fritz_monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

It's cheap insurance...electrical problems/miswired/spikes/surges can happen anywhere, including at home...best $200-300 you'll spend!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

Fritz two of my fellow workers drive down to myrtle beach for april vacation from mass every year both have thirty foot campers both laughed at me when I was asking them if they ever used them. They were not laughing when they got home storm kicked up while they were there transformer blew causing a power surge. One guy only lost his shore chord fried to the pedestal. Second guy not so lucky lost everything in the camper and actually had a fire in his wall this all happened second day of vacation.. Long story short they both have one now......
massachusetts
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Don't get me wrong, I know that surges happen. I'm just curious how many people use these. I have put one into my wish list on Amazon to buy when I have the money. I'm all for protecting my camper.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I did not use one for years, either, and frankly have had no surges like described above. But, I have had low voltage situations since I started using mine.

Take a look at the number of threads just on FRF. Its a popular item to discuss...

surge protector - Google Search

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #11

About 90% of my camping is without hook UPS, so I mayGetty one, or maybe not. I think I can wait a bit. No electric sites inthrew near future
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz_monroe View Post
About 90% of my camping is without hook UPS, so I mayGetty one, or maybe not. I think I can wait a bit. No electric sites inthrew near future
same with us. we've been camping with our Roo, since '06 and have never felt the need to buy one of these.
but we also rarely have any hookups. the few times we do, they are in well maintained campgrounds and we rarely have electrical storms on the West Coast.

if we had a 5th wheel and frequently had hookups, then we might get one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #13

That's about what I figured the answer would be. It really depends on how you camp.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

We are brand new Roo owners (233s) and after reading this thread we are definitely interested in buying a surge protector. But looking online, I see some in the $100 range and some in the $300-400 range. What is the difference?
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #15

SSP-30

this is what I use; it's not fancy and didn't cost $400, but it does the job.
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #16

Mom
If you check out the progressive inds site there is tons of info on the different kinds and what they can protect against and it depends if you want a portable one or permanent
massachusetts
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #17

We have one my parents bought for us. It was less then 100 bucks. It's a one and done type. It fries up if there is a big surge but protects the camper. Once that happens you have to buy a new one though. That is my understanding of it at least.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
We have one my parents bought for us. It was less then 100 bucks. It's a one and done type. It fries up if there is a big surge but protects the camper. Once that happens you have to buy a new one though. That is my understanding of it at least.
I believe that kind only protects against lightening strikes (which I call "spikes"). I don't believe it protects against over-voltage (surges) and under voltage, nor checks for mis-wired connections, such as an open neutral which can really mess you up if you have 50-amp service.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #19

Been meaning to search for this topic. Thanks for starting this thread.

I think I have a new item I need to buy. I'll probably go with the EMS-PT30C that Triguy uses. We are camping at Santa Rosa Beach FL this June for a week so I think it would be good insurance.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
Been meaning to search for this topic. Thanks for starting this thread.

I think I have a new item I need to buy. I'll probably go with the EMS-PT30C that Triguy uses. We are camping at Santa Rosa Beach FL this June for a week so I think it would be good insurance.
To get a more complete picture, you should search here; there are many more threads on the topic.

Let me add for completeness that in the under-voltage situation, these devices are just going to turn the AC power off until the problem is resolved. You can also get a voltage booster that will increase the voltage in this situation, and some of those include the protection functions as well. Something to think about before buying, if you think you might need both functions. One popular item is "Franks Voltage Booster".
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote