Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBhockeydad View Post

The camper seemed to tow ok with just a standard hitch doing speeds around 65-75 mph. Before spring, i will for sure get a WDH for added strength and security.
And without a WDH or sway control even ??? I seldom go over 65 mph, even a WDH, sway control, and a interstate speed limit here in VA. of 70 mph.

Beware, ST tires are rated for a maximum of 65 mph.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #12

No WDH or sway control. Good to know! I will slow it down a bit for this weekends little get away. Last of the season... Headed just an hour north to Brother in laws cabin.
I will be sure to get a WDH before we take it out next year.
or maybe i should get one before the weekend...Hmmm
Hate to spend $250-$400 on something i will only use once till next season...

Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBhockeydad View Post
No WDH or sway control. Good to know! I will slow it down a bit for this weekends little get away. Last of the season... Headed just an hour north to Brother in laws cabin.
I will be sure to get a WDH before we take it out next year.
or maybe i should get one before the weekend...Hmmm
Hate to spend $250-$400 on something i will only use once till next season...
I would never tell someone not to get a WDH with integrated sway control. But there might be some time constraints with getting a system, installing it, and adjusting it by the weekend.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

NBhockeydad, in looking at the stats on the Shamrock 21SS, there are some other considerations with that trailer and your truck. Since we have very similar trucks, I presume you would have the same hitch as mine. The maximum load carrying tongue weight for my hitch is 500 lbs. The 21SS has a listed empty tongue weight of 570 lbs. !!!! And if your trailer tongue weight "grows" similar to mine, you might be in the 700 lb. tongue weight area.......that is what my tongue weighs now from a listed tongue weight of 559 lbs.

Since we have similar trucks and similar tongue weights (at least listed empty tongue weights), you can see where adding 700 lbs. to the hitch might add ~1000 lbs. to the rear axle, and take almost 300 lbs. from the front axle here: Weight Stats

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

yea, you're going way too fast on those ST tires, especially without a WDH and sway control
if one of those popped from excessive speeds, you'd have a difficult time controlling it, even with sway control.
have you measured the wheel well heights on your TV, when hooked up?
have a hard time believing it's level, especially with a 21SS.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

you'll know you needed it when you no longer need it !
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #17

Hey everybody,
Everything went fine the other weekend on our last camp out of the year.
The trailer is a bit heavy as far as tongue weight goes because the trailer tips slightly forward. We will be getting a WDH before it leaves the yard next year. Also drove 60 mph there and back. So far we are very happy with this purchase! Looking forward to next season!

Stay safe!!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #18

Please get a good wdh/sway......don"t leave the drive way with out one,if you ever experience this problem on the road you will never forget,that said happy trails.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #19

OK I went through the same thought you guys have! I have F350 Diesel Super Crew Longbed truck with a 26tbss trailer! I bought the trailer and thought heck I have a big truck I dont need it! The trailer never pulled bad... but after talking to some more experienced RVers I decided to put a Equalizer WDH hitch on it. It has the sway built in. It is really amazing the difference in the way it pulls! It feels so much safer! I feel if you have a 20k camper and 30k truck a 300-400 dollar WDH! I didnt think I would be but I am a big believer in them after towing with and without on mine!

Get one you will not be disappointed!

Daniel
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #20

I've always used a WD hitch on most things heavier than a thou' pounds.

My current setup is my 1998 K2500 Sierra with a 2011 831rlbss and a Husky centerline hitch (WD with "active" sway control).

Always pulled straight and true. Not bothered by semi's or side winds so I can't speak on how bad a "sway" feels.

But, I was once behind a hotshotter who had a trailer hooked up just out of balance (little nose down bumper pull). He hit a cross wind and the sway was so scary I actually hit the brakes to slow down and I was two cars behind him. I was waiting for the sucker to flip on to its side and cause a multiple pile up. It whipped so hard I'm pretty sure I saw daylight under the tires on the right side!

I also got hit by the same cross wind and all i felt was the increase in drag. No sway at all.

That event just reinforced that I'll never bumper tow heavy without a WD hitch with some type of sway control.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock