Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Sway bar - do you really need it???

We're picking up our 2012 Shamrock 21SS tomorrow & the sales rep said that we didn't need the sway bar for towing - what's your experience??? Were towing with a 2005 Ford F150, V8 - 5.4L

Thanks!
NBhockeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

We are towing a Salem 30kqbss with just the weight distribution hitch and no sway bar.The only time we get any sway is if there is a strong cross wind or once in a while if we are following a transport truck,any other time it follows quite nicely.You'll know if you need sway bar or not,wouldn't hurt to have it,but probably not necessary IOP.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
(Kim)

I tow with just a WDH, however my Ram has an integrated Anti-Sway Control built in it.
When I went to the hitch place, they suggested I try it out with just the WDH first to see how well the Rams Sway Control worked.
It tows great so-far and we have never experienced any sway, including driving sandwiched between 2 semitrucks and very windy conditions. We also have a small trailer, load it properly, keep the tires to proper inflation etc.

That being said, next year I will invest in the Reece Straitline WDH with Sway control.
I just want that extra sense of protection in case we have some type of weird driving incident where we need to swerve out of the way of something etc....
The Rams Sway Control seems fine for 99% of the situations we will encounter, but it is that 1% that I am worried about.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Team

you don't say if you're using a WDH or not.

IMHO and the majority opinion is that unless you have a 1 ton TV or integral sway control, sway control is necessary for safety reasons.
a cheap friction anti-sway bar kit only costs $40. is that too much for safety?

i tow a 23SS with a Chevy Avalanche. it weighs about the same as the 21SS. i first learned never to trust a RV salesperson's opinion, since very few of them have ever owned one.
second, the vast majority of opinions recommended that i get a quality WDH with built-in sway control.

if you want to do some research, find the many posts about those who didn't get a quality WDH and sway control and then were amazed at how much better their towing experience was with a WDH and built-in sway control.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

Bikendan, we are not using anything other then just the standard towing package for an 05' F150 4x4 v8, 5.4L super cab. Thanks! I will check out fleet farm and northern tool in the next couple days. I'm sure they will have what i need at a decent price.
Better safe then sorry.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Site Team

are you saying that you aren't going to use a WDH?
i think your owner's manual will tell you that you'll need to, over a certain tongue weight which i think the 21SS will be.

my 1/2 Avy's manual did. i think you need to do some reading about WDHs and anti-sway control before you tow without one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

NBhokeydad,
Looks like you're picking up your trailer today.

I'm late to the party regarding sway control, but let me stress a couple of points made here:
  1. Some people talk about sway as being the suck-pull-push from a passing truck or the push from a light wind. This is normal, but is not the sway you need to be concerned with. Real sway is unpredictable and can be best described as a "rapid side-to-side oscillation of the trailer which increases with each swing". It happens for a variety of reasons, but excessive speed and poor match-up between trailer and TV are two of the more common ones. A good WDH with sway control helps minimize it. Driving smart does, too.
  2. Don't trust your salesman. Or trust but verify, as Ronny used to say.
  3. WDH is required by Ford if the trailer is > 5,000lbs or the hitch is > 500lbs. Even if you are lighter than these values, a WDH will help and sway control is cheap so why not? Don't go cheap on safety.
Anyway, you are probably ready to leave soon for your trailer. Have a great PDI and enjoy. Let us know what you decided to do about the hitch.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #8

Hey everybody,
Well we tried the camper out last weekend for the first time at the St.croix state park, Mn. (about an hour from home) and everything went great! We left it winterized of course and just used electric and gas. Had a great time! Everything was easy to do, no problems yet. A Very comfortable and roomy camper! My wife is very happy! especially with the heated matresses!! Those came in handy with the night temps dropping in the high 30's!

The camper seemed to tow ok with just a standard hitch doing speeds around 65-75 mph. Before spring, i will for sure get a WDH for added strength and security.

We are taking it out one last time before the snow flies this weekend.

On a side note...The state park was totally damaged from the forth of July
storm this year. All i can say is OMG! There were trees broken all over the entire campground! I think it was only a miracle that the Minnesota gov. was shut down because that weekend was completely booked and nobody was allowed to camp! I'm talking huge trees were blown over into campsites! There would have been many people killed that weekend if not for the shut down. We'll, That's all for now folks, And thanks for the advice on towing issues.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBhockeydad View Post
Hey everybody,
Well we tried the camper out last weekend for the first time at the St.croix state park, Mn. (about an hour from home) and everything went great! We left it winterized of course and just used electric and gas. Had a great time! Everything was easy to do, no problems yet. A Very comfortable and roomy camper! My wife is very happy! especially with the heated matresses!! Those came in handy with the night temps dropping in the high 30's!

The camper seemed to tow ok with just a standard hitch doing speeds around 65-75 mph. Before spring, i will for sure get a WDH for added strength and security.

We are taking it out one last time before the snow flies this weekend.

On a side note...The state park was totally damaged from the forth of July
storm this year. All i can say is OMG! There were trees broken all over the entire campground! I think it was only a miracle that the Minnesota gov. was shut down because that weekend was completely booked and nobody was allowed to camp! I'm talking huge trees were blown over into campsites! There would have been many people killed that weekend if not for the shut down. We'll, That's all for now folks, And thanks for the advice on towing issues.
Do you do 75 mph towing? Since we are limited to 55 mph here in California 75 mph really seems so fast to me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #10

I only drive that fast on 35w north bound. It's a free way.
Mainly kept it at 65-70. Hit 75 for a few minutes.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

And without a WDH or sway control even ??? I seldom go over 65 mph, even a WDH, sway control, and a interstate speed limit here in VA. of 70 mph.

Beware, ST tires are rated for a maximum of 65 mph.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

No WDH or sway control. Good to know! I will slow it down a bit for this weekends little get away. Last of the season... Headed just an hour north to Brother in laws cabin.
I will be sure to get a WDH before we take it out next year.
or maybe i should get one before the weekend...Hmmm
Hate to spend $250-$400 on something i will only use once till next season...
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No WDH or sway control. Good to know! I will slow it down a bit for this weekends little get away. Last of the season... Headed just an hour north to Brother in laws cabin.
I will be sure to get a WDH before we take it out next year.
or maybe i should get one before the weekend...Hmmm
Hate to spend $250-$400 on something i will only use once till next season...
I would never tell someone not to get a WDH with integrated sway control. But there might be some time constraints with getting a system, installing it, and adjusting it by the weekend.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

NBhockeydad, in looking at the stats on the Shamrock 21SS, there are some other considerations with that trailer and your truck. Since we have very similar trucks, I presume you would have the same hitch as mine. The maximum load carrying tongue weight for my hitch is 500 lbs. The 21SS has a listed empty tongue weight of 570 lbs. !!!! And if your trailer tongue weight "grows" similar to mine, you might be in the 700 lb. tongue weight area.......that is what my tongue weighs now from a listed tongue weight of 559 lbs.

Since we have similar trucks and similar tongue weights (at least listed empty tongue weights), you can see where adding 700 lbs. to the hitch might add ~1000 lbs. to the rear axle, and take almost 300 lbs. from the front axle here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ats-11523.html

Old 10-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
Site Team

yea, you're going way too fast on those ST tires, especially without a WDH and sway control
if one of those popped from excessive speeds, you'd have a difficult time controlling it, even with sway control.
have you measured the wheel well heights on your TV, when hooked up?
have a hard time believing it's level, especially with a 21SS.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

you'll know you needed it when you no longer need it !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #17

Hey everybody,
Everything went fine the other weekend on our last camp out of the year.
The trailer is a bit heavy as far as tongue weight goes because the trailer tips slightly forward. We will be getting a WDH before it leaves the yard next year. Also drove 60 mph there and back. So far we are very happy with this purchase! Looking forward to next season!

Stay safe!!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #18

Please get a good wdh/sway......don"t leave the drive way with out one,if you ever experience this problem on the road you will never forget,that said happy trails.
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #19

OK I went through the same thought you guys have! I have F350 Diesel Super Crew Longbed truck with a 26tbss trailer! I bought the trailer and thought heck I have a big truck I dont need it! The trailer never pulled bad... but after talking to some more experienced RVers I decided to put a Equalizer WDH hitch on it. It has the sway built in. It is really amazing the difference in the way it pulls! It feels so much safer! I feel if you have a 20k camper and 30k truck a 300-400 dollar WDH! I didnt think I would be but I am a big believer in them after towing with and without on mine!

Get one you will not be disappointed!

Daniel
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #20

I've always used a WD hitch on most things heavier than a thou' pounds.

My current setup is my 1998 K2500 Sierra with a 2011 831rlbss and a Husky centerline hitch (WD with "active" sway control).

Always pulled straight and true. Not bothered by semi's or side winds so I can't speak on how bad a "sway" feels.

But, I was once behind a hotshotter who had a trailer hooked up just out of balance (little nose down bumper pull). He hit a cross wind and the sway was so scary I actually hit the brakes to slow down and I was two cars behind him. I was waiting for the sucker to flip on to its side and cause a multiple pile up. It whipped so hard I'm pretty sure I saw daylight under the tires on the right side!

I also got hit by the same cross wind and all i felt was the increase in drag. No sway at all.

That event just reinforced that I'll never bumper tow heavy without a WD hitch with some type of sway control.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock