Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
drippie popouts

Originally Posted by natkaylee View Post
We are looking at buying a Roo, however one of the downfalls i was told to watch out for is IF using this trailer to hunt or camp in the fall weather, when turning on the furnace the inside of the canvas will start to sweat and drip..Has anyone used theirs during the cooler weather when their furnace needed to run a lot of the time? And what was your experience? Thanks in advanced

We just recently purchased a ROO 19 and went for our first camp out this past weekend. Since it was a damp rainy night we need to turn on the heat and expierenced the indoor rain forest with cindensation forming on the inside of the popouts. I am asking if anyone out there has any advise on how this can be eliminted.

Thank you

mwdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Originally Posted by mwdugan View Post
We just recently purchased a ROO 19 and went for our first camp out this past weekend. Since it was a damp rainy night we need to turn on the heat and expierenced the indoor rain forest with cindensation forming on the inside of the popouts. I am asking if anyone out there has any advise on how this can be eliminted.

Thank you
The #1 thing you can do to minimize this is keep a corner of the tent ends cracked open and a vent or window or two open. That air movement will help. We saw zero condensation all spring and summer, but the colder weather is a different story. Once the heat is on, the condesation starts. We haven't used the heated mattresses (yet) but we have a heavy comforter, so we set the heat fairly low, like 65, and stayed nice and warm. That is, I guess, part of the appeal of the hybrid - its still sort of like tenting, but much more comfortable. I'm OK with cool nights in the camper, but zipping my head into a sleeping bag with 3 sweatshirts on isn't my idea of fun. So we keep it reasonably warm, but if you crank the heat on cold damp nights, condensation is going to be an issue.

The PUGS talked about in this thread are certainly going to help as well.

We still get a little condensation - always did in our popup as well. A little bit is not a huge issue - just wipe the insdie of the canvas off with a towel in the am. Once the sun gets out it will dry up the canvas. What you don't want is so much that it drips or that the bedding starts getting wet - then you have a whole new set of issues.

Start with a little more air flow and see if that resolves the issue.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
We have a Rockwood 19 as well. I unzip the canvas ends at the peak to an opening of about 3 inches. It will resemble as small dormer on both ends. I then turn on the fantastic fan on low. This pulls air across the top of the tent ends, eliminating any condensation. I only have to do this in spring and fall. With the heated mattresses and the furnace, I have zero problems.
Trevor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
We have a new 2013 roo19.
We went camping last weekend at Mt. Madonna County Park in the Santa Cruz mountains between Gilroy and Watsonville.
Saturday morning early it started raining and didn't let up until we left Sunday morning.
During the early morning hours of Saturday I could tell the moisture inside was building but it wasn't bad. Had the windows cracked but not the bath vent. Water was hiutting the roof and splashing under the vent cover getting the commode wet.
That night it got real cold so we turned the heat on and closed the windows and vents. Sunday morning the canvas was soaking wet! Water had even started pooling at the bottom of the canvas.
Lesson learned. Vent the canvas bunks, crack the vent and put the fan on low. Buy PUGS!
It was very uncomfortable on Sunday but we passed our shake down cruise! On to the next adventure!
2013 Roo19
2011 F150 ScrewXLT 5.0
3.55 FlexFuel StdBed TowPkg
2014 Days Camped 20
chipcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
As has been stated in other threads, those of us with popup experience are aware of condensation issues. However, I think it's a bit worse in hybrids due to a number of issues: 1. HTT's are a lot "tighter" than a popup. 2. HTT's have baths and showers, while most popups don't. 3. HTT's have water heaters, meaning more hot water, which steams better. Thus ventilation becomes more important in an HTT than even a popup.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #16
Moderators' Assistant
chip, another suggestion would for you to install vent covers. then you wouldn't have the the wet bathroom issues.
as a fellow NorCal'er, that along with PUGs and Reflectix have cut down condensation to zero.
except the time we camped at Yosemite in April and a snowstorm blew in and dropped 3-4 inches of snow on top of our tent ends.

by the way, have been trying for months to get down to Mt. Madonna. hopefully we'll get there in October for our first visit.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote